The Lore-master is a seeker of knowledge and a guardian of wisdom. They wield ancient secrets and lore to confound their foes and aid their friends, protecting them against the dark powers of the Enemy.
- They are the undisputed master of crowd-control, with abilities to stun, daze and root opponents.
- The Lore-master also possesses a wide variety of ways to debuff enemies, even in large numbers.
- They can also supply allies with large amounts of Power, and provide curing support along with some moderate healing.
- The Lore-master's many different pets help allies in various ways, for instance by tanking for them or by debuffing enemies.
- Finally, a Lore-master traited in the Nature's Fury (red) tree provides strong AoE burst damage.
The Lore-master is a Pet class, and will always have one of their animal friends active. Lore-master pets have useful abilities on their own, but also provide important synergy with the Lore-master's own abilities. Thus, a Lore-master must carefully watch, control, and take care of their pet to ensure it's always alive and helping out.
A Lore-master can only have one pet helping them at a time. A Lore-master must learn to choose smartly from their wide variety of pets to best fit each situation, specialization, role, and environment (see the Pets page for a detailed list of all the different animals a Lore-master can call to their side).
Flanking and Harrying
Pets can also caused when attacking an enemy from behind. Beyond its useful snare effect, Harried has no other interactions.
See each pet's individual page for a gallery of its possible appearances.
A large number of the Lore-master's abilities cost Morale in addition to Power. Thus, it's very important for a Lore-master to manage not just Power consumption, but also Morale, even if they are not being directly attacked. A Lore-master must learn to use all their abilities carefully and manage their Morale well in order to stay active without being defeated.
These skills are granted automatically as you gain levels. The effects of many of these skills are improved in various ways by your choice of specialization and how you spend your trait points. Some skills may also be replaced by an improved version of the same skill as you increase in level.
|Damage + DoT + Slow||3s||30m||1|
|Damage + Heal||None||40m||1|
|AoE + Root||10s||25m||14|
|Damage + Power||1m||40m||16|
|Damage + Stun||30s||30m||18|
|AoE + DoT||30s||25m||24|
|AoE + Power||10s||5m||28|
|Heal + Buff + Stun||5m||Self||30|
|Cooldown + Buff||5m||Self||34|
|Pet (Nature Spirit)||None||Self||40|
|Damage + Heal||None||40m||??|
|AoE + Power + Buff||10s||5m||68|
|Damage + DoT + Slow||3s||30m||74|
|Damage + Power||1m||40m||80|
Combat Pet Skills
These skills are used by the Lore-master's current pet, rather than the Lore-master herself. A Lore-master may choose to manually control any of the pet's three active skills. See the individual pet pages for a more detailed explanation of each pet.
|Skills and Effects||Category||Cooldown||Range||Source|
|Passive Debuff Proc||n/a||2.5m||Level:||15|
|Passive Buff Aura||n/a||?||Trait:|
|Debuff + Damage||15s||2.5m||Level:||15|
|Damage + Debuff||30s||40m||Level:||20|
|Damage + Stun||1m||40m||Level:||20|
|Passive DoT Proc||n/a||2.5m||Level:||30|
|AoE + Debuff||2m||5m||Level:||56|
|AoE + Stun||1m||5m||Level:||56|
|Passive Debuff Aura||n/a||?||Level:||40|
|Debuff + Heal||1m||30m||Level:||40|
|Passive Power Aura||n/a||?||Level:||baseline|
|Damage + Fear||1m||2.5m||Level:||baseline|
Non-combat Pet Skills
Calls a fun non-combat pet that will follow your Lore-master's around.
|Tome of the Hare from the quest Friend of Sparrows|
|Tome of the Sparrow bought via Reputation from Atharbain within Imlad Gelair in Rivendell|
|Tome of the Dog dropped in Angmar|
|Tome of the Cat dropped in Angmar|
|Tome of the Fox dropped in Angmar|
|Tome of the Frog dropped in Angmar|
|Tome of the Snake dropped in The Rift of Nûrz Ghâshu|
|Tome of the Squirrel dropped in Angmar|
|Tome of the Turtle bought from Maneser Goodbody at The Mathom House in Michel Delving|
These skills are acquired by spending trait points in the Keeper of Animals (blue) trait tree.
|Heal + Buff||1m||40m||Trait:|
|Pet + Damage||2m||Self||Trait:|
These skills are acquired by spending trait points in the Master of Nature's Fury (red) trait tree.
|AoE + DoT||5s||Self||Set:|
|AoE Damage + Debuff||30s||25m||Trait:|
|AoE Damage + Stun||5m||15m||Set:|
These skills are acquired by spending trait points in The Ancient Master (yellow) trait tree. You can only obtain the Set skills if you specialize in this tree.
|Damage + Stun||1m||40m||Set:||Initial skill|
Mounted Combat Skills
|Damage + Heal||75||40m||Deals damage to your target and restores some of fellowship's morale and their War-steeds|
|Mounted Discipline||75||Increases damage dealt and reduces enemy's chance to resist tactical skills|
|Mounted Discipline||75||Lore-master focuses on Beast-lore, turning their attention to the weakening or enhancement of beasts.|
|Damage + Debuff||75||40m||Applies a fire damage over time as well as having a chance to place a debuff on the target depending on active discipline.|
|Debuff||75||40m||Reduces enemy tactical and physical mitigations|
|Root + Slow||75||40m||Root and then slow an enemy with chance of dismount|
|Debuff||75||40m||On any damage enemy has a chance to receive extra light damage|
Misc. Passive Skills
A strong bond with Beasts for attack and defence.
Uses the strength of nature to damage foes.
|+15% cashout damage from Lightning-Strike and Lightning-storm||Set: 5+ total ranks|
|+10% Fire-type Damage. +10% Light-Type Damage. +10%Lightning-type Damage. +10% Frost-type Damage||Set: 10+ total ranks|
|+20% Elemental Critical Damage||Set: 15+ total ranks|
|Sticky Gourd becomes Improved Sticky Gourd, and applies Burning Embers to targets stuck in its area of effect every 4 seconds.||Set: 20+ total ranks|
|Staff-sweep now reduces the cooldown of Sticky Gourd, Lightning-storm and Ents go to War.||Set: 25+ total ranks|
|Grants you Ents go to War skill and Hasten Ents Go to War.||Set: 30+ total ranks|
|Sign of Battle: Wizard's Fire now affects up to 2 additional targets. +35% chance to trigger a lightning strike during Nature's Fury.||Set: 35+ total ranks|
Uses lore knowledge to hinder and confound foes.
Some useful tactics when playing a Lore-master:
- Link break: if facing a target surrounded by mobs that are likely to assist, a cunning Lore-master can manage to fight just the intended target, and not any of the adds.
- Start out by casting Blinding Flash on the mob from the maximum possible distance, then turn around and run. Once the adds have stopped pursuing you, return. After 30s have passed the dazed mob will be free and will attack you -- but the adds will not follow.
- Buying Time: Even if fighting just one target, it can be useful to use Blinding Flash. In the 30 seconds that pass you can use Inner Flame to heal up, or wait for skill cooldowns to expire. Or if it comes to worst, run. Be careful not to leave a DoT (e.g. Burning Embers) on the target, as that will break the daze.
- Pet Shields: Pets often have near double your own health, and have no cooldowns between summons. Keeping this in mind, you can survive many battles which normally would be impossible by keeping the attention on your pet and re-summoning when it gets defeated. Using this in tandem with slowing skills can improve your survivability even more.