Rivendell Valley is an area within the Trollshaws in the north-eastern region.
This area is in itself one of the largest Elven settlements in Middle-earth, and certainly one of the most renowned. 3,000 years ago, Elrond Halfelven founded the elven refuge within the Trollshaws, commonly known as Rivendell which means "deep valley of the cleft" in direct translation from the Sindarin name Imladris. It lies nestled in the valley of the Bruinen river, which flows down the face of the Misty Mountains in the north-east, through the valley and on towards the south through a narrow cleft, impassable for friend as well as foe. In the south a path winds itself up and through a rift in the mountains to High Moor, and in the north a similar path leads north-east to the Misty Mountains through Imdolen. The few enemies who perhaps have a vague idea of where the mythical Rivendell is located would find it impossible to conquer the well trained elves who guard its passages.
In October 3018 III, Frodo Baggins, Gandalf, Strider, and their friends were rescued from the nine Nazgûl at the Ford of Bruinen by Elf-lord Glorfindel and many elves. They were rapidly brought to Elrond's house, Frodo being in serious need of healing, and the others to rest and eat. The four hobbits soon realized that they were in quite a pickle, entangled in adventures much larger and more dangerous than they could have guessed. Throughout the Epic storyline, Rivendell Valley is an important hub for many Epic events. Here supporters of the Free Peoples find shelter before they set out on diversions or adventures which will in one way or the other support the Company of the Ring.
Notice: While some major services and facilities are found within the Last Homely House, several more services are provided at different locations throughout the entire valley. This page is focusing on quests, services and NPCs which are not bound to specific landmarks or interiors, but it also summarizes the major services and locations for your convenience.
These landmarks are located within Rivendell Valley:
- The Bridge of Rivendell
- Elrond's Stables
- The Falls of Imladris
- The Forges of Rivendell
- The Guest Rooms
- The Haven of Orladion
- Imlad Gelair
- The Last Homely House
- The Market of Rivendell
- Skirmish Camp
- The Spire of Meeting
The following services can be found within the settlement of Rivendell Valley:
- Auction Faire of Rivendell
- Bard of Rivendell - Fileglin
- Barber - Fingwen - The Hall of Fire - The Last Homely House, ground floor
- Clerk of Kinships - Enefan
- Clerk of Kinships - Gwingloth
- Forge-master - Snár
- Notary - Calbeniel
- Notary - Calbeniel
- Notary - Glorielhen
- Relic-master - Faillanc
- Reflecting Pool
- Sage of Eriador - Taidbes
- Skirmish Camp
- Vault-keeper - Maladmil - The Last Homely House, ground floor
- Mailbox - Auction Faire of Rivendell
- Mailbox - The Market of Rivendell
- Mailbox - The Spire of Meeting
- Oven - The Hall of Fire - ground floor
- Superior Study - Elrond's Library - second floor
- Scholar's Guild-hall - first floor
See list of all NPCs within Rivendell Valley
|Taidbes||Sage of Eriador|
|Heath Wheaton||Captain Trainer|
NPCs – Summary of Major Services
Supplies & Services
|Celia Greenweed||Consumable Trader||The Last Homely House||ground floor|
|Salabdúr||Healer||The Last Homely House||ground floor|
|Haldúr||Hobby Master||The Hall of Fire||TLHH|
|Grafinn||Provisioner||The Forges of Rivendell|
|Grafinn||Provisioner||The Hall of Fire||TLHH|
|Gilfiniel||Supplier||The Hall of Fire||TLHH|
|Raenfer||Supplier||The Forges of Rivendell|
|Hammadelen||Outfitter||The Market of Rivendell|
|Sogadan||Vintner - (Tavern Keep)||The Hall of Fire||TLHH|
- See also level 50 armour sets from Class Traders at first floor of the Last Homely House
- All armament vendors are found at The Market of Rivendell, selling for levels 28 to 45
The following creatures are found within this area:
See "starting quests" and the landmarks for more quests
-  To Barachen
-  To Thorenhad
-  Glorfindel's Company
-  The Riddle-master
-  A Better Sort of Giant - Fellowship
-  Mountain Raiders - Fellowship
-  The Masters of the Mammoth - Small Fellowship
-  Few Who Dare
-  Scouting the Mountains
- See also Taidbes, the Sage of Eriador, for her quests
Also quests from Class trainers
-  Volume I, Book 4, Chapter 4: Regaining the Trail
-  Volume I, Book 15, Instance: A Final Council
-  Volume I, Book 15, Chapter 8: Only Fitting
-  A New Friend - Episodic Content
-  The Riddle-seeker
-  Towering Champions - Small Fellowship
-  Into the Rift
-  The Fall of Thaurlach - Raid
-  Volume I, Book 4, Chapter 3: The Wisdom of Lord Glorfindel
-  Volume I, Book 15, Chapter 1: A Strange Fate
-  Volume I, Book 15, Chapter 7: A Final Council
-  Volume I, Book 15, Chapter 12: One Hope Remains
-  Chapter 2: The Time Before Travelling
-  Chapter 4: The Wandering and the Lost
-  Chaopter 6: A Mortal Gift
Civic Structures and Facilities
Notice: The different locations within this section, individually list quests, services, NPCs, and more, which pertain to each of them. See also those landmarks which are not presented here.
Auction Faire of Rivendell
- See Auction Faire of Rivendell for more details.
- See Elrond's Stables for more details.
The Stables are located furthest to the west of the valley, west of the Market and north of the Bruinen river. The larger stables are locked up but there are many horses in the southern part, where Stable-master Ladrochan is found, selling swift rides to several locations throughout Middle-earth.
The Forges of Rivendell
- See The Forges of Rivendell for more details.
The Forges are located north-west of The Market of Rivendell, somewhat hidden behind a rock formation, rested along the banks of a small pond. This is one of four crafting areas in the valley and it provides a forge and a workbench. Here are also forge and relic-masters, a number of novice craft trainers, suppliers, and others. This is also the location where Hemeldir will reforge Aragorn's sword, the Andúril.
- Clerk of Kinships, Notary, Forge-master, Relic-master
- Crafting: Forge, Workbench, Provisioner, Supplier
Novice trainers for: Jeweller, Metalsmith, Tailor, Weaponsmith, Woodworker
Guest Rooms December 24th
- See Guest Rooms December 24th for more details.
Several members of the Fellowship of the Ring can be found here, preparing for the inevitable war with the Enemies from the North and the East. Several of the quests in the 1st volume of the Epic Story involve these rooms and their guests.
- Legendary quest givers
- See Imlad Gelair for more details.
Imlad Gelair is considered by the Elves a sanctuary high upon the hills, overlooking The Last Homely House. Its entrance is hidden just south of the Falls of Imladris, in the south-eastern part of the valley.
Visitors who have achieved Acquaintance standing with the Elves of Rivendell are welcomed to continue the well protected passage through the mountain to this secluded location. This is one of four crafting areas in the valley and it provides a Superior Forge, expert craft trainers, and representatives for the Elves of Rivendell. Characters who are allies with the Elves may buy supplies from Rombrennil.
- Reputation: Elves of Rivendell reputation vendors
- Crafting: Superior Forge, Expert Metalsmith, Expert Weaponcrafter, Supplier
The Market of Rivendell
- See The Market of Rivendell for more details.
Around the beautiful Market and its large Elven structures and gazebos are many armour and weapon vendors found, as well as other service providers and quest givers.
The Spire of Meeting
- See The Spire of Meeting for more details.
This is the perfect meeting point as the spire is visible far and wide. A tome named "Chronicle of Events" can be found here, allowing visitors to recall past episodes and events, much like Reflecting Pools. Found also are several class trainers, a mailbox, and quest givers.
The Last Homely House
- See The Last Homely House for more details.
Elf-lord Elrond's residence is located east-most of the valley, just by the Falls of Imladris and just by the foot of the Misty Mountains. This is where, at sunset, the sky turns pink and yellow, and the hills glow. Here visitors will meet many of the best known characters from Tolkien's works, and here Elrond and his elves give quests and advice. Among services are especially noted the Oven with its staff, Elrond's Library with Superior Studies and scholar trainers, as well as the Scholar's Guild-hall.
- Vault-keeper, Clerk of Kinships, Escrow Broker
- Consumable Trader, Healer, Class Traders
- Class trainers: Burglar, Lore-master, Minstrel, Rune-keeper
- Reputation: Elves of Rivendell
- See Bilbo's Room December 24th for more details.
Bilbo's Room December 24th is found at the ground floor in the southern wing of Elrond's house with the chambers where Bilbo Baggins has been living the recent years. However, most often he enjoys the company of Lindir in the Hall of Fire, playing riddle games and musing himself. Recently Gandalf, Frodo, and his hobbit friends arrived and are resting in Bilbo's chambers.
- Famous legends and quests
- See Laerdan's Chamber for more details.
Laerdan's Chamber is located in the northern wing at the ground floor. These are the chambers in which Laerdan rested after being freed from the tortures of Amarthiel. Other visitors may enter just while having quests pertaining to the chamber.
- Laerdan and quests
The Hall of Fire
- See The Hall of Fire for more details.
The Hall of Fire is found within the northern wing at the ground floor of Elrond's house. In there, Bilbo Baggins and Lindir trade riddles, Elf-singers praise the handsome Imladris, as do the elves at the upper levels. This is one of four crafting areas within Rivendell Valley and it provides ovens and a cook trainer, but also various vendors offering supplies and services, as well as a barber.
- Barber, Supplier, Provisioner, Hobby Master, Tavern Keep
- Ovens and Novice Cook
- Bilbo Baggins, Lindir, and quests
- See Scholar's Guild-hall for more details.
The Scholar's Guild is a crafting guild that is found on the second floor of the southern wing, just under Elrond's Library. It can sometimes be hard to spot the door label as it hovers near the ceiling. This guild rewards scholars that have gained required standing with access to improved or special recipes.Within the guild hall is also a Vault-keeper found..
- Superior Study
- Guild NPCs and vendors
- See Elrond's Library for more details.
Elrond's Library is located at the southern wing of the second floor of Elrond's house. This magnificent library is housing books, lore, and artifacts in a huge hall built in two levels. This is where the Elf-lord Elrond Halfelven feels most comfortable and where he can usually be found, at the lower level of the library. This is one of four crafting areas within Rivendell Valley and for Scholars this library houses many Superior Studies as well as Scholar trainers, both novice and expert.
Tham Send, the Hall of Rest
- See Tham Send, the Hall of Rest for more details.
Tham Send, the Hall of Rest is located at the northern wing on the second floor. Within this hall Elrond nursed Hithgol as well as another High Elf for many years, following the siege on the battle plain at Dagorlad at the end of the Second Age, before the latter awoke during the year 3018 of the Third Age.
Guests within the home may visit the hall, but Elrond has retreated to his library during current times.
- Founded: II 1697
- The hidden refuge of Elrond Halfelven, founded by Elrond in the Second Age against the assaults of Sauron in Eriador. It lay in a deep valley in the western foothills of the Misty Mountains, and endured, under the protection of Elrond's Ring Vilya, until the War of the Ring and beyond. After the War, the Ring's power ended and Elrond passed over the Sea, but Rivendell itself remained, at least for a time, in the keeping of Elrond's sons Elladan and Elrohir. — Lorebook
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of The Trollshaws|
|Settlements:||Echad Candelleth • Rivendell • Thorenhad|
|Areas:||Bruinen Gorges • Giant Valley • High Moor • Nan Tornaeth • North Trollshaws • Rivendell Valley • South Trollshaws • Tâl Bruinen|
|Landmarks:||Amon Nendir • Amon Varadh • Bar-e-Therchir • Barachen's Camp • Barad Glamgil • Barad Remmellad • Bear Dens • The Blooming Fens • Cirith Ulunn • Crumbled Cellar • Delossad • Drauglad • Draugroth • Echad Gauradan • Eryn Singor • The Ford of Bruinen • Forgotten Monument • Garbert's Cottage • The Gates of Imladris • Gladdalf • The Glamgil Falls • Laenan • The Last Bridge • Lavanim • The Lost Temple • Minas Agor • Minas Ciliant • Narlinn's Post • Nurath • Ost Belegram • Ost Brandras • Ost Chall • Ost Dúrgonn • Ost Thondol • The Stone-trolls' Glade • The Stonemere • Taur Ornolf • Thingroth • Torogrod • Trapdoor Lair • The Wovenvales|