- You may have up to 100 items in your mailbox.
- You cannot send mail to yourself but to alternate characters on the same account.
- A mail can be maximum 1,024 characters long.
- Creeps can only send mail to other Creeps, and Freeps cannot send mail to Creeps.
- Mails can not be sent between characters on different servers, no matter the account.
By using a mailbox and clicking the Compose Mail button, one can compose a letter and send it to another character for a fee of 50 copper.
- When you begin typing a name into the "To:" field, it will auto-fill with the names of your other characters, Kinship members, and characters on your "Friends" list. Hit return to accept the suggestion, or highlight a name and hit return, or simply continue typing.
- You may send money by typing the amount into the boxes just above "Send Money".
- For an additional fee, it is also possible to attach up to 10 items by dragging them from inventory onto anywhere of the mail window. The fee is based on the rarity and value of the item. For common items the extra fee is 10% of its value, uncommon and rare is 20%, and incomparable and legendary is 30%.
- For a nominal fee, you may send items via COD (Cash On Delivery) by clicking the radio-button and entering an amount. The recipient will face a popup box when trying to detach the item(s) and must choose either to pay or to return the mail. Doing neither, the email will be returned after 6 weeks.
- Certain items from the LOTRO Store can be attached for a small Mithril Coin fee.
Note: If you have 50 mails or more in your mailbox, you CANNOT send any mails (or post items on the Auction House), until you have deleted enough mails to get below that limit! (This can be a common problem e.g. when many auction listings expire and get returned via mail, causing the total amount of mails in the mailbox to go above 50.)
Mails sent to your character will appear instantly in your mailbox, and the "Alert" icon will appear on the screen. Items won, money made at auction, or unsold items, arrive in the same way. Mails containing money or items cannot be deleted until those have been detached.
- Mails from players on your ignore list will instantly be returned to sender, along with any attached money or items.
A 6-week timer is applied to all mails in your inbox, after which time a mail is returned to sender or deleted. The first time a mail is opened, the timer is reset to 6 weeks. This applies both to text-only mails as well as those containing items or money. This also applies to mails from the game system.
Notice that also returned mails are subject to this six-week timer. A mail will disappear from the inbox when the timer expires, along with any items or money.
VIP players can access mails in two extra ways ... anywhere in Middle Earth!
- Incoming mails, from the "Alert box".
- Via the "Options menu" (gold chevron leftmost of the toolbar) ⇒ "Social" ⇒ "Mailbox".
On the Mailbox window is a button that can be used to report the selected, unsolicited mail as spam.
The following updates to the game has affected the mail system:
- Update 13: The Breaking of Isengard
|The Great River
|Inner Caras Galadhon
Inside Auction House, Vault,
|Cirin-en-Galadh (Cerin Amroth)
|The Haunted Inn
|Chamber of the Crossroads
|The Tharâkh Bazân camp
|The Door to the Clouds
|The Fanged Pit camp
|The Rotting Cellar
|The East Wall
|near the front gate
|near the Harwick gate
|adjacent to North East entrance and stable master
|adjacent to South East Entrance
|a mailbox is also located inside the Mead Hall
|Requires The Mead Hall: Outdoor Enhancements II
|inside the Craft Hall
|inside the Auction Hall
|adjacent to the Mead Hall entrance
|Eaves of Fangorn
|inside the Mead Hall
|inside Aldburg Auction Hall
|inside Aldburg Crafting Hall
|Main Entrance Courtyard
|East Gate area