The Last Homely House
|The Last Homely House|
Elf-lord Elrond's residence is located east-most of the valley, just at the Falls of Imladris by the foot of the Misty Mountains. This is where, at sunset, the sky turns pink and yellow, and the hills glow.
The Last Homely House welcomes guests, scholars, and adventurers in need. Here they will meet many of the best known characters from Tolkien's works, and here Elrond and his elves provide quests and advice. Among services are especially noted Elrond's Library with many studies and scholar trainers, the Scholar's Guild-hall, and the oven with its staff inside the Hall of Fire.
- "Frodo was now safe in the Last Homely House east of the Sea. That house was, as Bilbo had long ago reported, 'a perfect house, whether you like food or sleep, or story-telling or singing, or just sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of them all'. Merely to be there was a cure for weariness, fear, and sadness." — The Fellowship of the Ring, Tolkien
Notice: Each interior within this house individually lists quests, NPCs, and more, pertaining to it. This page is about the common areas of the house and its immediate outside. See Rivendell for a summary of quests, services, and NPCs throughout the valley.
- Barber - Fingwen - (The Hall of Fire)
- Clerk of Kinships - Gwingloth - outdoors
- Elves of Rivendell - Cachúnir
- Vault-keeper - Maladmil
See also "list of NPCs" within the house and its interiors
|Celeblír||Barterer - Quest
(Further Adventures Missions)
|Gwingloth||Clerk of Kinships|
|Digloriel||Keeper of Gifts - Anniversary|
|Norien||Keeper of Gifts - Anniversary|
|Elmo Brown||Burglar Trainer|
|Malellam||Explorer of Eregion - Quest|
|Ground Floor - Central Courtyard|
|Services & Supplies|
|Cachúnir||Reputation Barterer - Quest|
|Celia Greenweed||Consumables Trader|
|Class Traders — Level 50 armour sets|
|Heribert Sandheaver||Beorning Trader|
|Garivald Sandheaver||Brawler Trader|
|Allan Threespot||Burglar Trader|
|Dora Thatcher||Captain Trader|
|Tad Boffin||Champion Trader|
|Hope Redfern||Guardian Trader|
|Blossom Brockhouse||Minstrel Trader|
|Till Bramble||Warden Trader|
See "starting quests" and the interiors for more quests
See also quests from class trainers and crafting vendors
-  Scholar's Writs -- Introduction - Reputation - Scholar
-  Of Mysteries Most Profound -- Introduction - Reputation - Scholar
-  Studies of the Unknown -- Introduction - Reputation - Scholar
-  Volume I, Book 15, Epilogue -- Laerdan's Parcel
-  To Imlad Gelair
-  The Elves of Eregion
-  Into the Rift
-  Volume II Prologue, Foreword: Bulwark of the West - Man/Beorning
-  Volume II, Prologue, Foreword: Hobbits Far Afield - Hobbit
-  Volume II, Prologue, Foreword: Unlikely Fellowship - Dwarf/Elf
-  Volume III, Book 1, Instance: Messages from Lórien - Solo-only
-  Volume III, Book 1, Chapter 1: Gallant as Elf-lords
-  The Riddle-game
-  A Hospitable Home
-  Volume I, Book 15, Chapter 12: One Hope Remains
-  Chapter 2: The Time Before Travelling
- [...] Quest:Eriador Year 10 Tales: Bilbo - Anniversary
-  Volume III, Book 1, Prologue: Messages from Lórien - Solo only
Interiors and Facilities
Notice: The different interiors within this section individually list quests, services, NPCs, and more, which pertain to each of them.
- Famous legends and quests
The Hall of Fire
- Barber, Hobby Master, Supplier, Vintner / Tavern Keep, Provisioner, quests
- Crafting: Oven, cook trainer
- Laerdan and quests
East Porch is a found on the first floor of Elrond's house, furthest to the east of the walkways. In the open air meetings may be held, very hard to eavesdrop with the roaring Falls of Imladris seemingly an arms-length away.
Gobeth Teithian, the Archive of Traceries is found on the northern wing, of Elrond's house.
- Requirement: Seeker of Deep Places
The Scholar's Guild-hall is found on the second floor of the southern wing of Elrond's house.
Just by being inside the guild-hall counts as being near a study.
Elrond's Library is found on the southern wing of the second floor of Elrond's house.
This magnificent library is housing books, lore, and artefacts in a huge hall built in two levels. This is where Elrond Halfelven feels most comfortable, at the lower level of the library.
Tham Send, the Hall of Rest is located on the northern wing of the second floor of Elrond's house.
- Late in May, III 2941, Bilbo Baggins arrived to Rivendell together with Gandalf, Thorin Oakenshield and his throng. They were on their way to slay a dragon and reclaim a kingship.
- On October 11, III 3018, Frodo Baggins were brought to Rivendell, and his hobbit friends eventually reached the Last Homely House as well. Here they came to stay for a little more than two months, until the Company of the Ring was formed, properly prepared, and they departed for the journey towards the east.
- "In the protected Valley of Rivendell, near the western slopes of the Misty Mountains stands the legendary House of Elrond, home to generations of noble Elves and a refuge for certain weary travellers in these dark days. Often called "The Last Homely House", this large and beautiful dwelling has been a tranquil yet well-protected and strongly-guarded refuge for as long as most memories can recall. Indeed, the Valley of Rivendell has been the home to Elrond and his people since well before the beginning of the Third Age, more than 3,000 years past. The house itself is expansive, with a seemingly endless array of rooms, libraries, gardens and other tranquil spaces. The dominant room in the home is The Hall of Fire, a large, pillared room so-named for the tremendous hearth in which a roaring fire is ever-burning. The Hall of Fire is a place of quiet reflection for most hours of the day, but is also a vibrant gathering place for lively song and storytelling in times of celebration. It is said that old Bilbo Baggins himself, now a resident of the House of Elrond in Rivendell, often frequents The Hall of Fire for a bit of writing, and, if truth be told, even more bits of napping.
- "It is here, within the House of Elrond, that the Fellowship of the Ring was recently formed, and from which the journey to destroy the One Ring in the fires of Mount Doom is about to depart. Elrond, the wise counsellor and master of Rivendell remains here, available to provide guidance and counsel to travellers from distant lands. Adventurers who find themselves in Rivendell would be well-advised to spend as much time as can be spared there to enjoy and explore the house and its grounds, for there are also many celebrated guests staying under Elrond's care and protection at this time. Much can be learned from speaking with those who dwell within, as well as from spending time in the expansive library and marveling at the collected treasures displayed throughout.
- "The design of Rivendell and its surrounding valley for (Lotro) was inspired by drawings made by Professor Tolkien himself." — Lorebook
- "In describing Elrond's house as homley, Tolkien refers to what the "Oxford English Dictionary" describes as 'characteristic of home as the place where one receives kind treatment; kind; kindly.'" — The Annotated Hobbit, Tolkien and annotated by Douglas A. Anderson
The falls by the Last Homely House
The grand statue in the courtyard
A view over the courtyard towards the entrance
Entertainers on a walkway
The garden outside the Last Homely House
A view of the middle walkway in the Elven refuge
The Feast Hall of Elrond