This gate sits athwart the Great East Road where it exits Bree and runs toward the Shire and beyond, and eventually all the way to Thorin's Hall. Inside the gate the great road continues past the Prancing Pony and beyond. Just inside the gate is the Bree-town Vault with its services. The square inside the gate connects to other sections of Bree in all directions, Windview Estate to the north, Scholar's Stair to the east, and a street towards the Stone Quarter to the south.
The greater West Gate square is housing the stables of west Bree, a grocer, superior crafting facilities of all types, as well as other services. A few steps to the north-east are superior farmlands and an expert farmhand. Here are also quest givers and many locals gathered. A milestone is found a few steps outside of the gate.
Destination Region Cost Prerequisites Bree-land Adso's Camp Bree-land 1 Buckland Bree-land 1 Hengstacer Farm Bree-land 1 South Bree (Swift) Bree-land 1 Ered Luin Celondim (Swift) Ered Luin 1 Thorin's Gate (Swift) Ered Luin 1 Evendim Ost Forod (Swift) Evendim 35 Min Level: 30 Tinnudir (Swift) Evendim 35 Forochel Sûri-kylä (Swift) Forochel 35 Min Level: 40
Acq. with Lossoth of Forochel
The North Downs Esteldín (Swift) The North Downs 35 Min Level: 25 Trestlebridge The North Downs 5 The Shire Hobbiton The Shire 5 Michel Delving (Swift) The Shire 1
Supplies & Services
|Expert Farmhand||Expert Farmhand|
|Festival Announcer||Stable-master - Events|
|Bert Bartleby||Bingo Badge Barterer|
|Andrew Oakhurst||Quest - Warden|
|Hazel Kenton||Quest - Captain|
|Leland Underhill||Quest - Minstrel|
|Nidgyl||Quest - Special event|
|Town Guard||Free Peoples|
-  No Time For Tours!
-  Instance: A Song for the Company - Minstrel
-  Instance: A Spear at the Southern March - Warden
-  Candac's Delay
- From Nidgyl - Special Events
-  Worse for Wear - Combe version
-  Worse for Wear - Éogar version
-  A Dwarf-made Blade
-  A Spear at the Southern March
-  A Song for the Company - Minstrel
-  An Inspiration to Men - Captain
-  The Two Taverns - Episodic Content
- Recently, on III 3018 September 29, Frodo and his Fellowship approached this gate:
- "It was dark, and white stars were shining, when Frodo and his companions came at last to the Greenway-crossing and drew near the village. They came to the West-gate and found it shut, but at the door of the lodge beyond it, there was a man sitting. He jumped up and fetched a lantern and looked over the gate at them in surprise.
- "'What do you want, and where do you come from?' he asked gruffly. (Harry Goatleaf, editors note)
- "'We are making for the inn here,' answered Frodo. 'We are journeying east and cannot go further tonight.'" — The Fellowship of the Ring, by Tolkien