Combe is a settlement in Bree-land. [28.6S, 49.2W]
This fine town is located at the road from Bree to Archet and a smaller road forks off to Chetwood and Combe's lumberyard. New man characters arrive here on their way to explore the Middle-earth; they will find appropriate services, adventures and mysteries to unwind. The residents are well aware of the tragedy that happened in Archet and welcomes any helping hand to resolve problems or prevent the brigands to spread further.
Combe hosts several interiors for crafting, combat training, and quests. Among them is found a bard, a kinship clerk, armour & weapon vendors, a crafting hall with trainers and vendors, class trainers, and more. See the interiors respectively for further details.
See also Civic Structures and Facilities below
- Mailbox [28.5S, 49.4W]
- Bard of Combe - Janie Sprigleaf [28.7S, 49.4W]
- Clerk of Kinships - Nan Ragwort [28.6S, 49.5W]
|Thorin's Gate||(Swift)||Ered Luin||1|
|Michel Delving||(Swift)||The Shire||1|
See "starting quests" and the interiors for more quests
-  Earning Trust
-  Food-trough
-  Horse-bedding
-  Water-bucket
-  Worse for Wear
-  Proof of Trust
-  Beneath the Hanging Tree
-  The Logger's Ledger
-  Mourning the Dead
-  Unpaid Debts
-  Blackwold Valuables
-  Rurik Fennel, Locksmith
-  Reconnecting Ties
-  More Treasure
-  Blackwold Thieves
-  Crafting: Geoffrey Fuller Hates Splinters
-  Friendships Renewed
- [...] Gifts -- Delicious Pastries - Anniversary
- [...] Gifts -- Wooden Carving - Anniversary
-  New Arrival in Combe
-  Crafting: Strong of Arm and Sharp of Mind
-  Volume I, Book 9, Chapter 3: Golodir's Request
-  Gifts -- A Delicate Bracelet - Anniversary
See "list of NPCs" within Combe
|Services & Equipment|
|Jack Cloverdale||Stable-master||[28.6S, 49.5W]|
|Mag Hardhammer||Light Armoursmith||[28.3S, 49.5W]|
|Nate Fleetfoot||Medium Armoursmith||[28.3S, 49.5W]|
|Morgan Darkraven||Bowyer||[28.4S, 49.5W]|
|Karl Quickfire||One-handed Weaponsmith||[28.3S, 49.4W]|
|Lowell Wickham||Two-handed Weaponsmith||[28.3S, 49.4W]|
|Burl Beeman||Quest||[28.4S, 49.5W]|
|Combe Stable-helper||Quest||[28.6S, 49.5W]|
|Constable Sageford||Quest||[28.6S, 49.2W]|
|Gail Catchpole||Quest||[28.5S, 49.5W]|
|Geoffrey Fuller||Quest||[28.5S, 49.1W]|
|Leighton Howard||Quest||[28.6S, 49.7W]|
|Maida Woodwright||Quest||[28.6S, 49.4W]|
|Rurik Fennel||Quest||[28.8S, 49.6W]|
|Ted Pickthorn||Quest||[28.5S, 49.0W]|
Civic Structures and Facilities
Notice: Each location within this section individually lists quests, NPCs, and more, pertaining to it
The Comb and Wattle Inn
The Comb and Wattle Inn is found at [28.7S, 49.3W]
This inn is located at the heart of Combe and though Lizbeth Honeymeade, the Tavern Keep, works hard to provide best possible service it is quite empty: Except for some unpleasant ruffians and the rare, rough rangers. However, during festivals this place livens up a bit when members of the Inn League empty the storage of Beakbreaker Ale.
- Bard, Bree-land Housing Broker, Clerk of Kinships, Tavern Keep
- Quests, all Epic Quests
Combe Crafting Hall
Combe Crafting Hall is an indoor craft-faire at [28.8S, 48.6W]
The crafting hall is located a short distance east and uphill from the centre of Combe. There are crafting trainers for all professions. Its Mistress of Apprentices, Jill Brushwood, is happy to assign visitors a vocation and novice trainers.
Training Hall is a class trainer location found at [28.7S, 49.3W]
This training hall is located just east of the Comb and Wattle Inn, sharing the same porch for entrance. Here class trainers offer and sell class specific quests, items and recipes.
- Class trainers
- "Bree was the chief village of the Bree-land, a small inhabited region, like an island in the empty lands round about. Besides Bree itself, there was Staddle on the other side of the hill, Combe in a deep valley a little further eastward, and Archet on the edge of the Chetwood. (...) Most of the inhabitants of Bree and Staddle, and many even from Combe and Archet, were crowded in the road to see the travellers start." — The Fellowship of the Ring, by Tolkien
- One of the four settlements that together made up the Bree-land, Combe lay in a deep valley on the eastern side of the Bree-hill. It was somewhat to the north of Staddle, but not so distant from Bree as Archet on the fringes of the Chetwood. Its name comes ultimately from an Old English word cumb meaning a deep valley. Probably founded before TA 1300. — lorebook
- Scene 1: If you travel into Combe through the Combe North Gate, you will pass by a broken cart and three townspersons having a discussion:
- Person 1: "What are we going to do now, Eric?"
- Person 2: "I don't know...I thought you had control of the horse?"
- Person 3: "I did...well, as much control as I can have over a 60 stone creature!"
- Person 1: "Well, we need to get in to Combe before winter! We've made it all this way, we can't stop at the gate."
- Person 2: "Yes, yes, just let me gather up this grain. We'll need it for the planting season."
- Scene 2: On the platform outside The Comb and Wattle Inn are two woodcutters sitting on a bench and having a talk:
- Woodcutter 1: "...and another thing...that Thorne fellow doesn't know the least bit about cutting trees."
- Woodcutter 2: "Oh, you needn't tell me! Did you hear that Will was attacked by a wolf the other day?"
- Woodcutter 1: "You don't say!"
- Woodcutter 2: "I do say! Right out in the open too, just as natural as you please, charged right up and took a nip out of his leg!"
- Woodcutter 1: "What's Thorne doing to set that a-right? Them wolves and spiders are all about the edges of the logging camp."
- Woodcutter 2: "Oh, those spiders scare me near to death with them big hairy legs."
- Woodcutter 1: "Their legs are near as hairy as old Will's except without the wolf-bite!"
|Settlements and Landmarks of Combe
|Landmarks:||Cartwell's House • The Comb and Wattle Inn • Combe Crafting Hall • Ellie Cutleaf's House • Training Hall|
|Interiors:||Cartwell's House • The Comb and Wattle Inn • Combe Crafting Hall • Ellie Cutleaf's House • Training Hall|
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of Bree-land
|Areas:||Andrath • Archet Dale • Brandy Hills • The Brandywood • Bree-land Homesteads • Buckland • Chetwood • Eastern Bree-fields • Far Chetwood • Hengstacer Farm • The Horsefields • The Midgewater Marshes • Nen Harn • Northern Barrow-downs • Northern Bree-fields • The Old Forest • Southern Barrow-downs • Southern Bree-fields • Starmere Lake • Weather Hills|
|Settlements:||Adso's Camp • Archet • Bree • Combe • Staddle|
|Landmarks:||Within eastern Bree-land: Big Staddlemere • Bindbale's Rest • Blackwold Headquarters • Brigand Cave • Combe Lumber Camp • The Crumbled Court • Goblinhole Ruins • Grobo Dogwort's House • Marshwater Fort • Midgewater Pass • Mustering Cave • Old Bauman's Farm • Ost Alagos • Ost Baranor • Silverwell • Skunkwood's Farm • Staddle Falls • Stump Field • Sunken Stones • Torthann's Camp • Weatherway • Wolf Den • Woodsedge Ruins • The Yellow Tree|