|Area:||The Delving Fields|
Michel Delving is a settlement located within the area of the Delving Fields, in the Shire. [33.9S, 75.0W]
This is the chief township of the Shire, hosting the Mayoral Seat and several offices of the Mayor and the bounders; indeed by many hobbits considered to be the 'capital' of the Shire. For locals and strangers it provides an auction house, a training hall, vendors, and south of town a craft-fair coming second to none. Finally, Michel Delving is the proud host of the Mathom House which is the museum and mathom-store of the world.
Michel Delving has been the chief city for hundreds of years, embracing the Great East Road as it entered the Shire from the desolate western Far Downs, the city has indeed seen its fair share of strangers and queer folks coming and going. However, with the Downs Gate safely shut the hobbits seem to have forgotten all about the outside world and now spend their time gossiping and planning for the next breakfast, or remembering the one they just ate, unless shopping groceries.
Hence, this is a great place to explore for those who are new to the Middle-earth, whether hobbit or not. In Michel Delving the scariest that happens is somebody playing you a prank, or if you cannot find the others while playing hide and seek.
See also Civic Structures and Facilities below
- Auction House [34.2S, 74.8W]
- Barber - Tulip Chubb [33.4S, 75.7W]
- Bard - Gammer Took [33.8S, 74.7W]
- Clerk of Kinships - Peaseblossom Tunnely [33.3S, 75.0W]
- Forge-master [33.4S, 75.2W]
- Notary - Wistan Whitfoot [33.2S, 75.1W]
- Outfitter - Buttercup Grubb [34.2S, 75.0W]
- Shire Reflecting Pool [33.4S, 75.8W]
- Vault-keeper - Osbert Fallohide [33.3S, 75.0W]
- Michel Delving's Craft-fair [34.6S, 75.5W]
- The Mathom House [33.4S, 75.6W]
- South Fields
|Treasure Camp||(Swift)||Ered Luin||Free||Treasure Hunt|
See "starting quests" and the locations for more quests
-  Worries From Waymeet
-  Bundle for Waymeet
-  Hiders and Seekers
-  The Top Hiding-Place
-  Join the Bounders
-  Close Up Their Burrows
-  Spoiled Pie from Michel Delving
-  Bundle for Tuckborough
-  Refurbishing the Town Hole
-  Prologue (Hobbit): Flourdumpling's Stand
-  Crafting: Michel Delving's Youngest Seamstress - Scholar
-  Crafting: The Great Pie Crust Robbery - Cook
-  Crafting: Ned in a Pickle - Cook
-  Prologue (Hobbit): Bullroarer's Club
-  Past the Post
-  A Route Over Yonder
-  The Book of Festival-law - Yuletide
-  Yule Be Sorry - Yuletide
-  Prologue (Hobbit): The Quarry In Scary
-  Notice to the Postmaster
-  An Unthreadable Needle
-  Volume I, Book 14, Chapter 1: Many Provisions
-  Bingo Returns Home
- [...] Quest:Year 1 Travels: Towering Monuments - Anniversary
See "list of all NPCs" within Michel Delving and its locations
Civic Structures and Facilities
Notice: Each location within this section individually lists quests, NPCs, and more, pertaining to it.
The Town Hole is the office of Mayor Will Whitfoot. [33.4S, 75.0W]
Here are the offices for the chief Shirriff, the Bounders, and the Quick Post mail service.
The Shire Auction Hall is found at [34.2S, 74.8W]
The hall is located in the south-eastern part of the town, behind the outdoor market stalls. There visitors can buy and sell goods and equipment.
The Bird and Baby Inn
The Bird and Baby Inn is a lively tavern found at [33.4S, 75.3W]
The Bird and Baby is Michel Delving's major hub of social activity, and the largest tavern in the Shire. It also offers the services of a barber and healer. This is also the home of the Inn League and Friends of the league have access to a room where they may barter for faction items. And in a back-room are some members of "The Inklings literary discussion group".
- Barber, Hobby Master, Tavern-keep, Healer, and quests
Michel Delving's Craft-fair is found at [34.6S, 75.5W]
The craft-fair is located in the south-western part of the town, elevated above the market. Characters seeking a crafting vocation should speak with Blossom Proudfoot. East of the fair farmers will find the fertile soil of the South Fields. This is also the location of the Cook's Guild Hall.
- Oven, Forge, Workbench, Expert Cook, Vault-keeper
- Supplier, trainers, vocation and guild managers, quests
Cook's Guild Hall
Cook's Guild Hall is found at the Craft-fair. [34.6S, 75.6W]
This is the home for the Cook's Guild where it is possible for Cooks to gain reputation and obtain exclusive recipes and items not possible to obtain by other means.
- Reputation vendors
The Mathom House
The Mathom House is an interior and a landmark . [33.4S, 75.6W]
This is the Shire's museum of mathoms; anything that Hobbits had no immediate use for, but were unwilling to throw away, they called a mathom and often handed over to this house. This is also the home of the Mathom Society.
- Study, Workbench, Expert Scholar
- Reputation barterers, quests
The Michel Delving Training Hall is found at [34.1S, 75.1W]
The hall is located in the south-western part of the town. Here skilled trainers from across Middle-earth offer and sell class specific quests and certain goods, recipes, and they repair worn equipment.
- Class specific trainers, vendors and quests
The Michel Delving Vendor Hall is found at [34.2S, 75.0W]
The vendor hall is found in the southern part of the town. Here customers can purchase a wide variety of cosmetic items, weapons and armour.
- Outfitter, armour and weapon vendors
- 'Indeed, even in the hilly regions and the older villages, such as Hobbiton or Tuckborough, or in the chief township of the Shire, Michel Delving on the White Downs, there were now many houses of wood, brick, or stone...' — The Fellowship of the Ring, Prologue
- The name means "large excavation" denoting the many hobbit holes dug into the surrounding hills. 'Michel' being adjusted to English from 'micel' meaning 'large'.