The Bird and Baby Inn
|Bird and Baby Inn|
|Area:||The Delving Fields|
The Bird and Baby is Michel Delving's major hub of social activity, and the largest tavern in the Shire. Weary travellers can indulge in food and drink, and share stories of adventures by the fire. It also offers the services of a barber and healer.
In a back-room are some members of "The Inklings literary discussion group". See Lore below.
|Estmar Bolger||Hobby Master|
|Alric Banks||Inn League Taxidermist - Festivals|
|Frago Sandheaver||Inn League Trader - Festivals|
|Ivy Tunnelly||Inn League Barmaid - Festivals|
|Forge-master||Forge-master - Outside|
|Lorgo Boffin||Bar hand|
|Ioco Underhill||Inn League Member - Festivals|
-  One Fish, Two Fish - Hobby - Fishing
-  The Bird and Baby
-  Inn League -- Bird and Baby Trial - Festival
-  Gifts -- A New Hammer - Anniversary
-  Inn League Initiation -- Bird and Baby
-  A Bit of Brown
-  A Convoluted Wine
-  The Draught Drought
- [...] Gifts -- Wooden Carving -- Anniversary
- [...] Year 2 Travels: Tavern Crawl, Eriador - Anniversary
- Real Life Inspiration
- The Bird and Baby Inn did not appear in the trilogy of Tolkien. The inclusion of a tavern named "Bird and Baby" is a reference to the real-world tavern "Eagle and Child" in Oxford, England, which was frequented by the members of The Inklings literary discussion group which included J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien, and other well-known professors and authors.
- Students of Oxford University who frequent the "Eagle and Child" often refer to the tavern as the "Bird and Baby" (among other colourful names).
- From 1939 to 1962, the Inklings members regularly met in a back room of the pub which is now known as the Rabbit Room. Several members of the Inklings are represented in the game: C.S. "Jack" Lewis (NPC Jack Lewisdown), Owen Barfield (NPC Owen Farfield), Charles Williams (NPC Carlo Williams), and a Rabbit. These NPCs refer to a fellow member of the Writing Club named Ronald Dwale, which is a reference to J.R.R. Tolkien.
Fireplace & barber
Keg storage in the basement