Esteldín is a settlement and an area located in North Downs.
This torn and worn fortress is built upon the town of Dolindîr in ages past and the Founding Stone still stands proud in the west-most courtyard. Now Esteldín is the unofficial capital of the North Downs.
Esteldín (Sindarin for Hidden Hope) is hidden within a great rift in the Kingsfell mountains, just east of the centre of the region. It can be reached through two narrow trails to the west and the east, both yet undiscovered by the Enemy. Here refugees find shelter, would-be defenders train for daring missions, and the Rangers make plans for the seemingly inevitable war against Angmar.
Esteldín provides excellent services, surpassing many settlements of the Middle-earth. Notable are the crafting facilities, expert trainers, and the Jeweller's, Tailor's, and Woodworker's Guild-halls. Here are a Bard, Stable-master, Milestone, Vault-keeper, Healer, Reflecting Pool, Mailboxes, and class trainers. Vendors are selling armaments for levels 25 to 40. Outside the western wall is the Skirmish Camp. And Esteldín is the natural headquarters for the Rangers of Esteldín faction.
Notice: The settlement is basically split up in three courtyards and many interiors. This page provides a summary but each location page list its details individually.
- Bard of Esteldín - Garchadron - Esteldín Central Courtyard
- Skirmish Camp
- Vault-keeper - Galufirieth - Craft-hall of Esteldín
|Gath Forthnír||(Swift)||Angmar||35||Min. Level: 40 and Acq. with Council of the North and completed Book 6, Chapter 6|
|West Bree||(Swift)||Bree-land||35||Min. Level: 30|
|Tinnudir||(Swift)||Evendim||35||Min. Level: 30|
|Amon Raith||North Downs||15|
|Rivendell Stables||(Swift)||Trollshaws||20||Min. Level: 40|
See "starting quests" and the locations for more quests
-  The Elves of Eregion
See "list of all NPCs" within Esteldín
Services & Supplies
|Mithlas||Explorer of Eregion||Roaming|
Civic Structures and Facilities
Notice: Each location within this section individually lists quests, NPCs, and more, pertaining to it
Esteldín Forecourt is the west-most courtyard.
Inside the main entrance this courtyard proudly presents the Foundation Stone of Dolindîr, the former name of Esteldín. This is now a marketplace with several armament vendors selling gears for levels 25 to 40. Here is also a Milestone, Stable-master, Tasks Bulletin Board, and several quest givers.
Esteldín Central Courtyard
Esteldín Central Courtyard is the middle section of Esteldín.
- Bard, Reflecting Pool, Campfires
- Roving Threat Quartermaster, Ráthulf the Trader, class trainers, and quest givers
The library functions both as Esteldín's library of sorts, and as a planning room. Each side of the library is filled with books and tomes, dear to the Rangers. A long table is setup with several chairs to be used as a planning board when the need arises.
The study is found at the northern side of the courtyard, near the library. Here the legendary Halbarad is studying the lore he has brought in and here he receives reports from Rangers of North Downs and beyond, as well as planning and negotiating with allies. Hence the epic story-line is bound to this location at many times.
- Legendary person - quest giver: Halbarad
Esteldín Crafters' Courtyard
Esteldín Crafters' Courtyard is the east-most section.
In the east of Esteldín lies this courtyard with all crafting premises of the settlement: the Craft-hall of Esteldín with its crafting facilities, Vault-keeper, and crafting guilds. Here are also found the officials for the reputation faction Rangers of Esteldín
Craft-hall of Esteldín
This great craft centre provides crafting facilities and trainers for most professions, as well as expert trainers. Inside the craft-hall are some crafting guilds located.
- Vault-keeper, Supplier, Rangers of Esteldín Vendor, Mailbox
- Forge, Oven, Workbench, Expert trainers for Jeweller, Tailor, and Woodworker, and crafting NPCs
- Crafting Guilds: Jeweller, Tailor, and Woodworker
This is the home for the Jeweller's Guild where it is possible for Jewellers to gain reputation and obtain exclusive recipes and items not possible to obtain by other means. Guild representatives are also found at other locations, see below.
- Crafting Guild NPCs
This is the home for the Tailor's Guild where it is possible for Tailors to gain reputation and obtain exclusive recipes and items not possible to obtain by other means. Guild representatives are also found at other locations, see below.
- Crafting Guild NPCs
This is the home for the Woodworker's Guild where it is possible for Woodworkers to gain reputation and obtain exclusive recipes and items not possible to obtain by other means. Guild representatives are also found at other locations, see below.
- Crafting Guild NPCs
- Esteldín is built upon the town of Dolindîr in ages past according to the Founding Stone there. Arassuil, son of Arahad, established the refuge. It is one of the Five Towns in the old kingdom of Arthedain spoken of in the book "Of Arthedain and its Settlements" found inside Halbarad's Study. — Quest
- "'With my brothers around me,' they say in Esteldín, 'I believe we could do anything.'
- "Esteldín serves not only as a stronghold but also a training ground where folk from throughout the land are taught to wield blades and bows like the Rangers. Here, the Rangers share reports from across the region and collaborate to plan strikes against the Enemy. Still, it’s rare for their kind to gather in such numbers. 'We have been called together by Halbarad for a reason we do not know,' the Rangers whisper. 'Some of us have our suspicions, though.'
- "Halbarad, kinsman and friend of Aragorn, knows the Rangers alone cannot defend the North Downs against the full might of Angmar. To shore up support, he and his fellows dispatch willing adventurers in all directions, but especially through Esteldín’s east gate, into Nan Amlug East, Rhunenlad, and lands beyond. Those wild hunting grounds lay at the mouths of the Ram Dúath, passes through which the vanguard of Angmar’s armies have come into the North Downs before." — Hero's Guide