|Region:||The North Downs|
Esteldín is a settlement and an area located in The North Downs.
This torn and worn fortress is built upon the town of Dolindîr in ages past and the Founding Stone still stands proud in the west-most courtyard. Esteldín is hidden within a great rift in the Kingsfell mountains, at the centre of North Downs. It is reached through only two narrow trails to the west and the east, both yet undiscovered by the Enemy. Now Esteldín is the unofficial capital of the North Downs. Here would-be defenders of the realm train for daring missions, refugees from near and far seek shelter, and the Rangers make plans for the seemingly inevitable war against Angmar.
Esteldín provides excellent services surpassing many settlements of the Middle-earth. Notable are the complete crafting facilities sugared with Superior Workbenches and some expert trainers, and also the Jeweller's, Tailor's, and Woodworker's Guild-halls. Here are a Bard, class trainers, Healer, Mailboxes, Milestone, Reflecting Pool, and Stable-master. Vendors are selling armaments for levels 25 to 40, which also matches the general quest levels. Outside the western wall is a Skirmish Camp. Esteldín is also the headquarters for the Rangers of Esteldín faction.
Notice: The settlement is basically split up by three courtyards and several interiors. This page provides a summary but details are listed at the individual pages of these smaller sections.
- Campfires - Several
- Craft-hall of Esteldín
Destination Region Cost Prerequisites Angmar Aughaire Angmar 25 Gath Forthnír (Swift) Angmar 35 Min. Level: 40
Acq. with Council of the North
Completed: Book 6, Chapter 6
Bree-land West Bree (Swift) Bree-land 35 Min. Level: 30 Evendim Tinnudir (Swift) Evendim 35 Min. Level: 30 Tinnudir Evendim 15 The North Downs Amon Raith The North Downs 15 Meluinen The North Downs 15 Othrikar The North Downs 15 Trestlebridge The North Downs 15 The Trollshaws Rivendell (Swift) The Trollshaws 20 Min. Level: 40
See "starting quests" as well as individual courtyards and interiors for all quests
See "list of all NPCs" within Esteldín
Supplies & Services
- All armament vendors are found at Esteldín Forecourt, selling for levels 25 to 40.
- All Class trainers are found at Esteldín Central Courtyard.
Civic Structures and Facilities
Notice: The different locations within this section, "civic structures and facilities," individually list quests, NPCs of different types, and more, which pertain to each of them.
- See Esteldín Forecourt for more details.
Esteldín Forecourt is the west-most courtyard of Esteldín.
Inside the main entrance this courtyard proudly presents the Foundation Stone of Dolindîr, the former name of Esteldín. This is now a marketplace with several armour and weapons vendors selling gears for levels 25 to 40. Here is also a Milestone, Stable-master, Tasks Bulletin Board, and several quest givers.
Esteldín Central Courtyard
- See Esteldín Central Courtyard for more details.
Esteldín Central Courtyard is a section of Esteldín.
At the heart of Esteldín lies this large square surrounded by Halbarad's Study, the Library. Here are also found a Bard, several Campfires, Ráthulf the Trader, a Reflecting Pool, class trainers, and several quest givers.
- See Esteldín Library for more details.
Esteldín Library is found in Esteldín.
The library functions both as a Esteldín's library of sorts and also as a planning room. Each side of the library is filled with books and tomes. It has a long table with several chairs that is set up as a planning board when the need arises.
Legendary persons - quest givers:
- See Halbarad's Study December 8th for more details.
Halbarad's Study December 8th is located in Esteldín.
This place is both an interior location and a date within Lotro's epic story. It is found at the northern side of the Central Courtyard, near the Library. Here the legendary Halbarad is studying the lore he has brought in and here he receives reports from Rangers of North Downs and beyond, planning and negotiating with allies. Hence the epic story-line many times are bound to this location.
- Halbarad - Legendary person - quest giver
Esteldín Crafters' Courtyard
- See Esteldín Crafters' Courtyard for more details.
Esteldín Crafters' Courtyard is the east-most courtyard of Esteldín.
In the east of Esteldín, behind the library coming from the main entrance, lies this courtyard with all crafting facilities of the settlement: the Craft-hall of Esteldín with its Superior Workbenches and Vault-keeper. Here are also found the officials for the reputation faction Rangers of Esteldín.
Craft-hall of Esteldín
- See Craft-hall of Esteldín for more details.
Craft-hall of Esteldín is located east-most at the Esteldín Crafters' Courtyard.
This fully equipped craft centre provides several Superior Workbenches and Expert Trainers for Jewellers, Tailors, and Woodworkers. Here are also found a Mailbox and the Vault-keeper for Esteldín. Inside the craft-hall are some crafting guilds located: Jeweller's Guild, Tailor's Guild, and Woodworker's Guild.
- Vault-keeper - Galufirieth
- Superior Workbenches
- Expert Jeweller, Expert Tailor, Expert Woodworker
- See Jeweller's Guild-hall for more details.
The original Jeweller's Guild-hall is found inside the Craft-hall of Esteldín.
Within this hall it is possible for Jewellers to gain reputation and obtain exclusive recipes and items not possible to obtain by other means. The hall is found to the back of the craft-hall.
- Crafting Guild NPCs
- See Tailor's Guild-hall for more details.
The original Tailor's Guild-hall is found inside the Craft-hall of Esteldín . The hall is located at the southern wall of the craft hall.
Within this hall it is possible for members of the Tailors Guild, to obtain exclusive recipes and exchange items not available to non-guild Tailors.
- Crafting Guild NPCs
- See Woodworker's Guild-hall for more details.
The original Woodworker's Guild-hall is found inside the Craft-hall of Esteldín. . Within this hall it is possible for Woodworkers to gain reputation and obtain exclusive recipes and items not possible to obtain by other means. The hall is located at the back of the craft hall.
- Crafting Guild NPCs
- Esteldin means "Hidden Hope" in Sindarin, and indeed the city is hidden from the eyes of the Enemy.
- Esteldín is built upon the town of Dolindîr in ages past according to the Founding Stone there. Arassuil, son of Arahad, established the refuge. It is one of the Five Towns in the old kingdom of Arthedain spoken of in the book "Of Arthedain and its Settlements" found inside Halbarad's Study. — Quest
- "'With my brothers around me,' they say in Esteldín, 'I believe we could do anything.'
- "Esteldín serves not only as a stronghold but also a training ground where folk from throughout the land are taught to wield blades and bows like the Rangers. Here, the Rangers share reports from across the region and collaborate to plan strikes against the Enemy. Still, it’s rare for their kind to gather in such numbers. 'We have been called together by Halbarad for a reason we do not know,' the Rangers whisper. 'Some of us have our suspicions, though.'
- "Halbarad, kinsman and friend of Aragorn, knows the Rangers alone cannot defend the North Downs against the full might of Angmar. To shore up support, he and his fellows dispatch willing adventurers in all directions, but especially through Esteldín’s east gate, into Nan Amlug East, Rhunenlad, and lands beyond. Those wild hunting grounds lay at the mouths of the Ram Dúath, passes through which the vanguard of Angmar’s armies have come into the North Downs before." — Hero's Guide