The Great Barrow
This notable dungeon is located in the north-western corner of the Southern Barrow-downs. A Camp Site Fire is found just outside the entrance, where also a small group of elves have gathered, sensing that something terrible is corrupting this tomb. Indeed so: recently the Witch-king of Angmar was here, and he re-animated many fell spirits which now threaten the relative peace of Bree-land.
The Great Barrow is an instanced dungeon; its name is nowadays a collective name for three scalable World Instances, but here are also some Epic quests taking place. Generally speaking this place aims at Fellowships in the levels 20 to 24 and above. For historical notes, see remarks below.
Minimum level required for characters is 20 for all three, no matter which level the instance is set to.
The following deeds can be obtained by visiting this location or defeating instance bosses:
See "starting quests" for instance quests.
-  Heading West - Fellowship
-  Volume I, Book 1, Instance: Othrongroth
-  Collecting History - Fellowship
-  Purging the Dead - Fellowship
The following creatures are found within this area:
- In the southern reaches of the Barrow-downs lies the Great Barrow, or Othrongroth, one of the oldest and largest of the Edain mounds. For many years the Dúnedain of Cardolan protected it, until a great sickness arose from the south. This plague devastated Cardolan, leaving the ancient burial-mounds vulnerable to the horrors of the Enemy.
- The Witch-king of Angmar sent fell spirits from Angmar and Rhudaur to inhabit the Barrow-downs and turn them into a place of great terror. Taking possession of the rotting remains of the dead, the spirits became barrow-wights, the chief of whom sits in lordship in Othrongroth at the command of the Witch-king. As the Shadows in the East and in the North stir once again, the wights of the Great Barrow arise and stalk the Barrow-downs in service to their master.
- Othrongroth was created by the developers at Turbine as the first public dungeon instance to be visited by players. In Volume I, Book 1 of the Epic Story, a terrible assembly of the Witch-king with other evil servants of Sauron sets in motion the events that will shape Lotro.
- The Great Barrow is a collective name for several smaller instances.
- With the advent of Free to Play many deeds and quests that mention Haudh Iarchith also involve this location.
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of the Barrow-downs|
|Areas:||Northern Barrow-downs • Southern Barrow-downs|
|Landmarks:||The Barrow of Orron • The Barrow of Ringdor • The Barrow of Taradan • The Dead Man's Perch • The Dead Spire • Goetham • The Great Barrow • Gwantham • Haudh Iarchith • Haudh Methernil • Haudh Nogbenn • Haudh Taenthond • Hautham • Northern Barrows • Northern Barrows Pass • Old Barrows Road • Ost Gorthad • Tomb of Maenadar|