The Trollshaws is a region found within the land of Eriador.
This region became known as the Trollshaws after the lands of Rhudaur were cast into ruin and became inhabited by evil trolls. It is located between the Lone-lands to the west, Eregion to the south-east, and Misty Mountains to the north-east. This region is filled with towering pine and beech trees, autumnal forests and rivers. The horizons are often blocked by high hills and steep, impassable cliffs that shadow deep gorges and dead-end ravines. The woods are dotted with ruins, remnants of lost civilization that now serve as lairs for some of Middle-earth's most savage beasts and servants of the dark lords such as trolls, hill-men, and wights.
Rivendell is an area that is nestled in the deep valleys below the Misty Mountains, richly watered by streams flowing down the cliff faces and springs bubbling up from the ground. The valley is itself a settlement, the capital of the Trollshaws, in which the natural centre of activities is the Last Homely House, Elrond's magnificent residence. However, major services and legendary characters are found all over that beautiful valley.
- Levels: 35 - 40
- Factions: Elves of Rivendell
- Crafting: Artisan
- Neighbouring: Eregion, Lone-lands, Misty Mountains
- Introduced: The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar, April 2007
(Ordered by main quest-level)
- Camp: Barachen's Camp: Stable-master, Supplier, Campfire, Task Board, quests
- Quests: mainly level 35
- Outpost: Thorenhad: Milestone, Stable-master, Mailbox, Campfires, Provisioner, and armament vendors
- Quests: mainly 36 - 39
- Scout's Camp: Stable-master, Camp Site Fire, quests
- World Instance: Lost Temple - Level 65+
- Quests: mainly level 37
Rivendell — Capital of the Trollshaws
- Stable-masters, Milestone, Auction House, Barber, Clerk of Kinships, Notary, Vault, Hobby Master, Outfitter, Reflecting Pool, Forge-master, vendors
- Crafting: Forge, Oven, Study, Workbench
- Crafting Guilds: Scholar's Guild-hall
- Factions: Elves of Rivendell
- Quests: mainly 37 - 40
- Outpost: Echad Candelleth: Milestone, Stable-master, Camp Site Fire, Healer, Task Board, Campfires, quests
- Quests: mainly 38 - 39
- Quests: mainly level 39
- Village and Camps: Tornhad, Gaerond, Tham Lumren
- Factions: Defenders of the Angle
- Quests: mainly 40 - 45
For more detail, see Trollshaws Quests
|Trollshaws Deeds||Trollshaws Titles|
|Creature Shard Drops|
|These creatures are tougher and have a high chance to drop a shard that can be used in crafting more advanced recipes.
- Artisan: All areas of the Trollshaws
- Primarily: Rivendell
- Forge - The Forges of Rivendell, Imlad Gelair - (Acquaintance with the Elves of Rivendell)
- Oven - The Hall of Fire
- Study - Elrond's Library, Scholar's Guild-hall
- Workbench - The Forges of Rivendell
Not much is known about the early history of the western Trollshaws, but it was clearly inhabited by Men of Rhudaur (Sindarin for Eastern Forests), the east-most of the three lands that resulted from the dividing up of Arnor in III 861. Hill-men were the chief inhabitants of this area, and they soon fell under the influence of Angmar. The few Dúnedain living west of the Bruinen River were defeated III 1409 when the Witch-king invaded and destroyed their civilization, leaving the lands to decay and open for prowling beasts. It was probably at this time that trolls from the Ettenmoors dared move south again.
Rivendell, on the other hand, is better known. The settlement was founded in II 1967 by Elrond, when he was sent on a mission to save refugees who had fled north from Sauron's attacks on Eregion. Both Sauron and the Witch-king of Angmar besieged Rivendell at two different times, but were driven off by Gil-galad and elves from Lothlórien respectively.
In III 2941, in the woods west of Bruinen, Bilbo Baggins came upon the Stone-trolls Tom, Bert, and Bill. Gandalf tricked them into arguing until dawn when the sun came up and turned them to stone. Among their hoard Gandalf discovered his sword "Glamdring", Thorin Oakenshield found "Orcrist", and Bilbo claimed the knife known as "Sting".
Years later, in III 3018, Strider led a company of Hobbits from the Lone-lands through the Trollshaws to reach Rivendell and seek Elrond's council. However, the nine Nazgûl pursued them from Weathertop and at the Ford of Bruinen, the Nazgûl nearly claimed Frodo, until Elrond sent a flood down to sweep them away. The Elf-lord Glorfindel hastily brought Frodo to safety and healing in Rivendell. Just after that is where we are in the Epic story-line of Lotro during the time you are visiting this region.
|Regions within the Land of Eriador
|Angmar • Bree-land • Dunland • Enedwaith • Ered Luin • Eregion • Ettenmoors • Evendim • Forochel • Gap of Rohan • Lone-lands • Misty Mountains • Nan Curunír • North Downs • The Shire • Trollshaws|