As you journey through Middle-earth, your character will have the opportunity to become a hero of Middle-earth as you aid both the Fellowship and the Free Peoples with what is called the "Epic" quest line. This story is interwoven with J.R.R. Tolkien's epic fantasy, both working alongside it - in a story created specifically for The Lord of the Rings Online - and crossing-over into it at important or interesting moments.
Volume I - The Legacy of Angmar
- Epic Introduction
- Learn whether you have what it takes to become a hero of your race.
The Lost Kingdom of Arnor
- Assist your homeland as dark forces threaten.
- Book I - The Doom of the Fallen City
- Book II - The Dread of Herne
- Book III - The Crossing of Sarn Ford
- Book I - Stirrings in the Darkness
- Help the Rangers protect Bree-land, as one of their own is turned against them.
- Book III - The Council of the North
- Aid Men, Elves and Dwarves in the North Downs so they can gather for a council.
Evils of the North
From here the two starter experiences tie into eachother.
- Book IV - Chasing Shadows
- Book V - The Last Refuge
- Book VI - The Fires in the North
- Book VII - The Hidden Hope
- Book VIII - The Scourge of the North
- Rekindle Golodir's hope and help him in an attempt to defeat Mordirith, the steward of Angmar in Carn Dûm.
- Book IX - The Shores of Evendim
The Search for Narchuil
- Book XI - Prisoner of the Free Peoples
- Book XIII - Doom of the Last-king
- Attempt to locate the missing half of Narchuil in the frozen wastes of Forochel.
- Book XIV - The Ring-forges of Eregion
- Assist and then pursue Laerdan as he tries to rescue his daughter.
- Book XV - Daughter of Strife
Volume II - Mines of Moria
Into the depths of the World
- Assist the Fellowship as they prepare to leave Rivendell in their quest to destroy the One Ring.
- Book I - The Walls of Moria
- Book II - Echoes in the Dark
- Help the Iron Garrison expedition establish a first foothold within Moria.
- Book III - The Lord of Moria
- The dwarves are determined to retake their halls, perhaps too eagerly. They need your assistance.
- Book IV - Fire and Water
- The orcs strike back.
- Book V - Drums in the Deep
- Some force has allied itself with the orcs of Moria. Discover who/what it is.
- Book VI - The Shadowy Abyss
The Influence of Dol Guldur
- Book VII - The Leaves of Lórien
- Reunite with the Fellowship of the Ring and help forge an alliance between the Dwarves of Khâzad-dûm and the Elves of Lothlórien.
- Book IX - Fortress of the Nazgul
- Join the Malledhrim as they prepare to assault Dol Guldur, the fortress of the Nazgul.
- Epilogue - Of Elves and Dwarves
- Many loose ends remain after the assault on the tower of Dol Guldur.
Volume III - Allies of the King
The Journey South
- Answer the call of Elrond Halfelven.
- Book IV - Rise of Isengard
- Book V - The Prince of Rohan
- The time has come to part ways with the Grey Company, who must soon begin the next leg of their journey. Your aid, however, is required at the Fords of the Isen: where Prince Théodred of the Mark is preparing to do battle against Saruman's forces to secure the Gap of Rohan.
A Journey renewed
- Book VI - Mists of Anduin
- Book VII - A Fellowship Endangered
- The Fellowship of the Ring is in peril. At Galadriel's behest, you must lead a fellowship of your own to discover their fate.
- Book VIII - Into the Riddermark
- You must pursue the Uruk-hai (and the Fellowship they endanger) across the plains of Rohan. To do that, you're going to need a better horse...
- Book IX - The Third Marshal
- Ride with Éomer, the Third Marshal, to learn what became of the Uruk-hai, and what is to come for Rohan.
The Battle of Helm's Deep
- Book XI - The Golden Hall
- Witness the return of Théoden King and help prepare his people for war against the White Hand.
- Book XII - War in the Westemnet
- Aid the people of West Rohan as the forces of Saruman ravage the land and treachery is found in unlikely places.
- Book XIII - Helm's Deep
- Join the Rohirrim for their final stand at the fortress of the Hornburg, where the fate of Rohan will be decided.
- Book XIV - The Waters of Isengard
Volume IV - The Strength of Sauron
The Tragedy of Gondor
- Book I - The Road to Gondor
- Book III - Voices of the Past
- Book IV - Siege of the White City
- Book V - The Ride of the Rohirrim
- Aid the armies of Rohan and help them find a safe road to Minas Tirith in time to defend their allies against the ravening hordes of Mordor.
- Book VI - The Battle of the Pelennor Fields
- Take part in the final defence of Minas Tirith as the Witch-king of Angmar descends upon the field and many fates are decided.
The Return of the King
- Book VII - The March of the King
- Book VIII - The Black Gate
- Experience the Host of the West’s climactic confrontation with Sauron’s forces at the Battle of the Black Gate, as Aragorn seeks to draw Sauron’s Eye away from his true peril.
- Book IX - The Ring Of Power
- Witness the fate of the One Ring and Sauron! The Epic quest line reaches a major milestone, and remains free to all players.
Volume V - The Peace of Middle-earth
Into the Fires
- Chapter 1 - Where the Shadows Lie
- Chapter 2 - The Light of Eärendil
- Uncover the mystery of a tainted artifact stolen from the dungeons of Durthang.
- Chapter 3 - The Gúrzyul
- Chapter 5 - Legacy of the Necromancer
The Legacy of Vóin
- Chapter 6 - Wood, Lake, Mountain, and Stone
- Chapter 7 - The Tales of Khîl
- Chapter 8 - A Land of Dragons
The Secrets of Mordor
- Interlude: Shades in the Swamp - The Maiden's Trial
- Investigate the darkness disturbing the sleep of the shades in the Gladden fields.
- Chapter 11 - A Window on the Past
- Listen to the tales of Mordor and the Siege of Barad-dûr during the War of the Last Alliance.
- Chapter 12 - The Siege of Barad-dûr
- Learn of the breaking of the Siege of Barad-dûr and the downfall of Sauron at the end of the Second Age.
- Chapter 13 - Imlad Morgul
- Chapter 14 - Minas Morgul
- Enter the once-beautiful city of Minas Morgul and confront an old enemy at last.
- There are a few last secrets to be dug from shades and the Black Book of Mordor...
Assembling an Army
- Chapter 1 - An Echo in the Mountains
- Chapter 2 - Inspecting the Wells
- Travel south into the Wells of Langflood to take a measure of the orkish presence near Skarháld.
- Chapter 3 - Closing in on Gundabad
- Chapter 4 - A First Confrontation
- Interlude: Blood of Azog - Assaulting Khazad-Dûm
- Study the history of the last great war between dwarves and orcs as recorded by Hermáth Stormhammer.
Inside the Mountainhold
- Chapter 5 - The Mighty Court of Máttugard
- Enter Gundabad and seize control of the court of Máttugard.
- Chapter 6 - The Sculptors Apprentice
- Chapter 7 - Into the North
- Chapter 8 - The Secrets of Durthuzâram
- Chapter 9 - A Traitors Deal
- Help Durin get the information he needs.
- Chapter 11 - The Last Dwarrowmoot
- Ready yourself for the final confrontation of Gundabad.
- Interlude: Angmar Reborn - The Stone of Rhudaur
- Chapter 1 - The Heirs of Castamir
- The overall plan for the Epic Story in LOTRO reads a bit like a “Most Exciting Places to Visit!” travelogue for Middle-earth. Consider:
- Volume I (Levels 5 till 50) lets you explore the town of Bree, the fallen city of Tharbad, the Last Homely House in Rivendell, the evil city of Carn Dûm in Angmar, the ruins of Annúminas on Lake Evendim, the ring-forges of Eregion. Help the Rangers of the North deal with the evils of Angmar so that the Fellowship can set out on their journey without having a dangerous enemy at their back.
- Volume II (Levels 50 till 65) continues to the dwarf-kingdom of Moria; the golden city of Caras Galadhon in Lothlórien; Sauron’s fortress of Dol Guldur in Mirkwood. See to it that the dwarves can safely recover Khazad-dûm and that the evil of Dol Guldur is contained within its walls.
- Volume III (Levels 65 till 95) makes you explore Isengard, see the rolling plains of Rohan, and marvel at one of the greatest man-made (as opposed to dwarf-, hobbit- or elf-made) fortresses ever built, Helm's Deep! Help free the king and find the Fellowship while they make their way south.
- Volume IV (Levels 95 till 105) begins your journey through many places within Western Gondor to get to Dol Amroth. You will aid the people of Central Gondor and find the grand city of Osgiliath in ruins. Help Eastern Gondor against the forces of Minas Morgul and see the city of Minas Tirith. March towards the Black Gate and towards Mordor to witness the end of the Third Age.
- Volume V (Levels 20+) sets up the wedding of Aragorn and Arwen. Discover how Minas Tirith fairs under a new king and queen.
- The Black Book of Mordor (Levels 105 till 130) is the storyline which narrates the way through the unexplored territory of Mordor, while the Epic Quest line continues to trace the activities of the Fellowship of the Ring. Something as evil as Sauron doesn’t just go away and everything is fine. Mordor is a tremendous pit of evil and players are going to have to deal with the things that remain. The Fellowship is no longer the focus, "The Black Book of Mordor" deals with what happens AFTER the Ring is gone. Who/what are left after Sauron and the Nazgûl are gone? A number of Dark Personages are now rising in power. What is driving the Darkness? Players must determine who/what is filling that vacuum and prevent it from seeping out into the rest of Middle-earth.
- The Legacy of Durin and the Trials of the Dwarves (Levels 130 till 140) further explores events after the War of the Ring. Durin, son of King Thorin III Stonehelm of the Longbeards, has set his sights on the reclamation of Mount Gundabad, occupied by the orkish forces of Gorgar the Ruthless. Help the young prince in his trials to conquer Gundabad from the orcs and dragons and learn of the ancient history of the Dwarves.
- The Song of Waves and Wind (Level 140+) Upcoming epic chain dealing with the Corsairs of Umbar and more.
- And that is not all! There will be more places to see in the future!
- After completing book 1 to book 8 of Volume I: A Light from the Shadow
- After completing book 9 to book 15 of Volume I: Bearer of Hope
- After completing book 1 to book 6 of Volume II: Avenger of Khazad-dûm
- After completing book 7 to book 9 of Volume II: Stalwart against the Shadow
- After completing book 1 to book 14 of Volume III: Friend to the Heir of Isildur
- Volume III Book 4 Quest Notes By: Jeff ‘MadeOfLions’ Libby.