- This page is about Anduin, the River running from north of Mirkwood to the sea in Gondor. For other uses, see Anduin (disambiguation).
The River Anduin
The Anduin is commonly known as the Great River to most men, though the ancestors of the Rohirrim call it Langflood. It arises in the northern Grey and Misty Mountains, flows through Rhovanion, bordering the Vales of Anduin, Lothlórien and Mirkwood; into Rohan where it borders The Great River and passes the Argonath and the Falls of Rauros; where it drops to the plane of Gondor and passes The Dead Marshes, Osgiliath, Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul; Central Gondor, Pelargir; and ultimately Western Gondor and Dol Amroth where it empties into the Bay of Belfalas of Belegaer, the Great Sea.
Setting out in boats on the Anduin from Lothlórien the Company of the Ring travelled along the Great River during the Third Age, pursued by Gollum and the orcs of Isengard. Shortly before reaching Amon Hen Legolas brought down a Fell beast with the bow he was given when leaving Lothlórien. Later, upon reaching Amon Hen, the Fellowship is broken.
After passing through the Paths of the Dead, Aragorn captures the Corsair fleet at Pelargir, the great havens at the mouth of the Anduin. Then they take the ships to Osgiliath, from where they join the Battle of Pelennor Fields.
During the First Age, a stretch of land along the Great River was home to Entwives and their beautiful gardens. But this place of beauty was blasted by Sauron in the Second Age, and is now called the Brown Lands. The Great River is a divider; on the western bank is life, forests, tributaries and the like, while the east is wasteland, destroyed, rocky.
Course of the River
- This river enters the map to the north in the Wells of Langflood and travels south
- through the Vales of Anduin
- between Lothlórien and Mirkwood
- East of The Great River
- East of East Rohan
- North and east of Far Anórien
- Between Old Anórien and North Ithilien, South Ithilien and The Wastes
- East and south of Eastern Gondor
- The Anduin enters Belegaer in the Ethir Anduin south of Central Gondor