Owning your own home in Middle-Earth is a unique experience. What makes it so special is that one can furnish that home, both inside and outside, to suit one's personal tastes. Some Kinships and others hold "housing competitions" where they award prizes to home owners for the "best decorated" home.
Each house has a certain number of "decoration hooks", which allow one to place decorations throughout the inside of the home and out in their yards.
Note that most housing decorations are cosmetic in nature. There is no mechanism to acquire or install additional storage chests. However, some allow interactions and provide services like Visiting Bankers, Stable-masters Stands, crafting facilities and more.
How to Get Decorations
Decorations are obtained in many different ways:
- Purchasing from Housing Furnishers located in your neighbourhood's center, with in-game currency (gold, silver and copper).
- Purchasing from Reputation vendors with various Factions throughout Middle-Earth, with in-game currency (money or barter items).
- Bartering specific creature and mob hides with taxidermists.
- Crafting (various Professions).
- Received as quest rewards, especially seasonal rewards during festivals.
- Of special note are the lore pages, collected in the landscape, that reward with Audio Journal decorations.
You will quickly discover that you collect far more decorations items than you can possibly display, even in the largest home or kinhouse.
To begin decorating, one must be within the bounds of the house's property, and enter "Decoration Mode".
To do so, click the button that appears on your Radar -- "Toggle Decoration Mode". This will make all available decoration hooks visible and "highlight".
- You are now in Decoration Mode.
- You are no longer in Decoration Mode.
- will display in your chat window as appropriate.
- You are now in Decoration Mode.
In every home, you can find the "decorator's controls" immediately beside the door as well as decoration hooks around the house.
- Decorator Controls - This is a set of special decoration hooks that lets you apply colour paints, wallpapers and music to your rooms.
- Decoration Hooks - These appear as wireframe boxes and let you place your decoration items to furnish your home. They are categorized into different types.
- Right-click or double-click on a Decoration Hook. This will open a small "Decoration" panel displaying the "Type" of hook.
- Open your Inventory (Press I), and drag the appropriate decoration item to the slot in the "Decoration" panel.
- Sliders will appear which will allow you to rotate and adjust the positioning of the decoration item.
- Main article: House#Housing Management
Adjacent to the "Toggle Decoration Mode" button on your radar, is the "Housing Management" button. Clicking that button opens and closes the "Housing" panel, where you can pay your upkeep and perform other Housing related tasks. One of these tasks involves managing house permissions. A house owner can grant individuals or groups permission to decorate the owner's house with their own decoration items, whether it's bound to them or not. Should you want to remove such decoration afterwards, right-click it and use "Return to Owner" button.
The two buttons on your radar disappear once you leave the immediate area of your home. However, the Housing Management panel can still be accessed from the Character panel (Press C) from anywhere.
|Classic & Premium||Premium Only|
- While the Decoration Hooks will only accept Decoration Items of corresponding type, some decoration items can be slotted into multiple types of decoration hooks.
- Cosmetic Pets can be used as a housing decoration by purchasing Pet Harness or spending Mithril Coins. They can be placed into a Furniture or Yard hook.
Patch Notes: With Update 30.3 and later game updates, many of the Interior and Exterior hook types have been consolidated. For e.g. Thin, Small, Large and Special Furniture Hooks are now "Furniture Hooks". Large Yard and Small Yard are now "Yard Hooks" and "Mobile Yard Hooks". Additionally, more hook types have been made available.
- Bill Twiggins for Bree-land Homesteads
- Rolf Bracegirdle for Shire Homesteads
- Barthavron for Falathlorn Homesteads
- Rambi for Thorin's Hall Homesteads
- Burginda for Kingstead Meadows Homesteads
- Seleflad for Eastfold Hills Homesteads
- Housing Furnisher in The Abodes of Erebor
- Ambience Furnishers located in Eastfold Hills Homesteads, Kingstead Meadows Homesteads and The Abodes of Erebor
- Sally Marshfell in Bree
- Tully Hopwood in Bree
- Bungo Puddifoot in The Shire
- Maneser Goodbody in The Shire
- Ivy Tunnelly with The Inn League
- Authun in Thorin's Hall
- Dúthi in Thorin's Hall
- Bordhreg in Esteldín
- Malenfang in Esteldín
- Celegdes in Evendim
- Galiana Squibb in Evendim
- Atharbain in Rivendell
- Rombrennil in Rivendell
- Hafgrím in Angmar
- Ongli in Angmar
- Mîmu in Forochel
- Thorth Splintershield in the Twenty-first Hall, Moria
- Límar in Dolven-view (Great Delving), Moria
- Kettil, Son of Athils in the Twenty-first Hall, Moria
- Dunlending Quartermaster in Galtrev
- Rohirrim Quartermaster in Galtrev
- Léoflac in Ost Guruth, Lone-lands
- Radhril in North Downs
- Ethelmund in Wildermore
- Bassiril in Imlad Lalaith, Lothlórien
- Merenedhel in Cerin Amroth, Lothlórien
- Tharnelleth in Cerin Amroth, Lothlórien
- Orelleth in Telain Galadhrim, Caras Galadhon
- Eregriel in Mirkwood
- Cannuion in Enedwaith
- Mabon in Lhanuch, Enedwaith
- Arcil in Stangard
- Colbrand in Stangard
- Ordlaf in Stangard
- Rinwald in Hytbold
- Quickbeam in Entwood
- Herbalists in The Wastes and North Ithilien
- Heledon in Minas Tirith
- Vorthur Smokebreath in Erebor
- Geode Hunter in Gundabad
- Conquest of Gorgoroth Quartermaster in The Plateau of Gorgoroth
- Defenders of Minas Tirith Quartermaster in Minas Tirith
- Defenders of the Angle Quartermasters in The Angle of Mitheithel
- Dol Amroth Housing Decorations Quartermaster in Dol Amroth
- Dwarf-holds Rewards Quartermaster in Ered Mithrin
- Elves of Felegoth Quartermasters in Eryn Lasgalen and the Dale-lands
- Fall of Khazad-dûm Quartermaster in Azanulbizar
- Haban'akkâ of Thráin Quartermaster in Azanulbizar
- Protectors of Wilderland Quartermaster in Wells of Langflood
- Rangers of Ithilien Quartermaster in South Ithilien
- Riders of Rohan Quartermaster in Taur Drúadan
- The Gabil'akkâ Quartermaster in Elderslade
- The White Company Quartermaster in Morgul Vale
- Wilderfolk Quartermaster in Vales of Anduin
- Yonder-watch Quartermasters in The Yondershire
- Elmo Whitbread, Bree Fishing Taxidermist
- Clar Whitethorn, Bree Animal Taxidermist
- Stev Whitethorn, Bree Expert Taxidermist
- Bill Whitethorn, Bree Collector
- Rori, Moria Taxidermist, Twenty-first Hall
- Ardela, Moria Taxidermist, Echad Andestel
- Alric Banks, Inn League Taxidermist
Crafting Guild Recipe Vendors
Furniture recipes can be purchased from the Improved Recipes Vendor's of each guild with the proper reputation rank.
During every festival, some of the special rewards for festival tokens are different housing items. The following vendors appear at different times of year, and are not guaranteed to have the exact same list of items every year. (Many event quests also give housing rewards, please see the page for the appropriate festival for more information.)
- Spring Rewards Vendors
- Summer Rewards Vendors
- Fall Rewards Vendors
- Winter Rewards Vendors
- Farmers Faire
- LOTRO Anniversary Celebration Vendors