|Farmer, Forester, Prospector|
|Cook, Jeweller, Metalsmith,|
"A skilled tailor can make simple clothing from common cloth, but with time and practice they can learn to create garments of great beauty that provide significant protection to their wearer. The Tailor can also work with tanned hides to produce leather armor – light, tough and suitable for travel."
Tailored armour is an essential alternative for those classes that cannot wear heavy armour; for instance, a Burglar whose stealth depends on not clunking around like a tin can, or a Minstrel who needs the freedom of movement to perform motivational flourishes on a delicate instrument. A Tailor produces pieces of light and medium armour that protect the wearer and can provide other bonuses. These pieces range from common rough cloth to the finest Elven silk, depending on the skill of the tailor.
- Tailor's Tools (e.g., Bronze Tailor's Tools)
- Workbench (can be used for Apprentice, Journeyman, and Expert tier recipes)
- Superior Workbench (required for Artisan, Master and Supreme tier recipes, see its article for locations)
A list of all component items that are used to craft Tailor recipes: Tailor Components
For crafting clothing and armour, a Tailor uses boiled leathers, which are created by a Forester. An Explorer Tailor is also a Forester and will be able to gather and boil animal hides into usable leather on his own. Armourer and Yeoman Tailors will not have this ability, and need to find a Forester who will convert their hides to leather. A number of advanced recipes requires Crafting Rare Components.
- Hides can be harvested by characters by defeating Beasts. These pieces of animal hide have a chance to drop from those types of Creatures.
- Foresters are able to process hides into leather by boiling them at a Workbench or Superior Workbench.
- The following Professions can use the leather for materials in their own crafting recipes:
|Hide||Tier||Leather By-product||Levels that Drop Item||Location(s)|
|1 Apprentice||1-13||South Ered Luin, The Shire, Central Bree-land|
||13-25||Bree-land, Ered Luin, The Lone-lands, The North Downs, and The Shire|
||25-34||Evendim, The Lone-lands, The North Downs, and The Trollshaws|
||35-43||West part of Angmar, Evendim, East and West part of The Misty Mountains, East part of The North Downs and The Trollshaws|
||44-50||Angmar, Eregion, Sarnúr in Ered Luin, Forochel, and Ettenmoors|
||51-64||Angmar, Eregion, Moria, Lothlórien, Mirkwood, Enedwaith, Minas Elendúr, Kolo-hampât|
||65-74||Dunland, Gap of Rohan, Isengard, Nan Curunir, The Great River and some rare drops in Eastern Mirkwood and Enedwaith|
||85-99||West Rohan (A beast level 85 in West Rohan can drop both Riddermark and Eorlingas hides), Fangorn, Western Gondor, Central Gondor|
|10 Anórien||100-105||Eastern Gondor, Old Anórien, Far Anórien (beasts in all 3 areas drop both Eorlingas and Anórien hides)|
|11 Doomfold||106+||The Plateau of Gorgoroth|
|12 Ironfold||116+||Ered Mithrin and the Withered Heath|
|13 Minas Ithil||116+||Morgul Vale|
- Using player-crafted Tailor's Tools increases that base chance.
- Click through to the tools index to view the percentage for any given tool.
- Scrolls of crafting lore (produced by a Scholar) give a 1-minute buff, further increasing the chance of a critical success.
- These scrolls provide tiered increases to the crit chance, but they are tiered by player level, not crafting level. Thus, a level 7 Supreme Master Tailor can only use the Minor Tailoring Lore that gives a 1% crit chance increase, but a level 65 Master Apprentice Tailor can use a Scroll of Supreme Tailoring Lore that gives a 12.5% increase.
- Certain recipes have an optional ingredient, flax fibres; the type of flax fibre used is based on the crafting level of any given recipe, but using flax fibre in any level gives a flat (not tiered) increase of 45% to the crit chance.
|Mastery Component||Tier Level||Recipes|
|Common Flax Fibre||Apprentice||Most Tier 1 Recipes|
|Bree Flax Fibre||Journeyman||Most Tier 2 Recipes|
|Pale Flax Fibre||Expert||Most Tier 3 Recipes|
|Yellow Flax Fibre||Artisan||Most Tier 4 Recipes|
|Golden Flax Fibre||Master||Most Tier 5 Recipes|
|Fairy Flax Fibre||Supreme||Most Tier 6 Recipes|
|Drop of Birch-tar||Westfold||Most Tier 7 Recipes|
|Piece of Oak Bark||Eastemnet||Most Tier 8 Recipes|
|Piece of Walnut Bark||Westemnet||Most Tier 9 Recipes|
|Piece of Poplar Bark||Anórien||Most Tier 10 Recipes|
- A complete list of Tailor recipe indexes by tier
- A complete list of recipes listed alphabetically
- An index of items that can be crafted using Tailor recipes
|Tailor Recipe Index|
|Apprentice • Journeyman • Expert • Artisan • Master • Supreme • Westfold • Eastemnet • Westemnet • Anórien • Doomfold • Ironfold • Minas Ithil|
Crafting Guilds are Reputation factions that grant advantages in recipe execution. Reputation is increased by bartering special crafted items. Membership in a Crafting Guild used to be exclusive - you can be a member of 2 crafting guilds at a time (as of Update 25).
Tailors of all levels are eligible to join the Tailor's Guild, but the guild recipes require Expert tier and above. To join a crafting guild one must first speak to a Master of Crafting Guilds, and they are always found in the vicinity of a guild hall and at many other locations. Then, travel to the Craft-hall of Esteldín in the North Downs and speak with Guild Leader Hambrennil to continue the quest. The Tailor's Guild-hall is found inside the craft hall, to the south.
-  Crafting: A Superior Workbench (Tailor)
-  Crafting: Artisan Tailor - Grants Superior Workbench Access and opens Master Expert Tailor
- Once you achieve proficiency as an Expert Tailor (T3), you need to speak to any Novice Tailor (vendor) to receive this quest (*  Crafting: A Superior Workbench (Tailor)) to enable you to advance further as a Tailor, either to achieve "Master proficiency" or advance to Artisan (T4).
- Technically, since Update 11, no Tailor recipe requires a "Superior Workbench," as all workbenches now qualify for all recipes.
- Notice that nothing hints about this requirement except that no XP is obtained any more, and neither can you begin to use any recipes of the next tier as expected.
Using your Skills
-  Ranger's Sashes -- Introduction
-  Rangers' Cloaks -- Introduction
-  Tapestry of Deeds -- Introduction
-  Valuable Heart-wood rewards 10
Named NPC expert Tailors. There are numerous unnamed.
- Quick Level Guide - A small overview of the amount of hides needed, if you only want to craft components to level up Tailoring
- LOTRO Forums: Update 25 Crafting Change Notice