Forochel is a region found within the land of Eriador.
Forochel (Sindarin for Northern Ice) is a frozen tundra found in the northern-most region of Eriador, where the Blue Mountains form a massive barrier on the western border. These frost-bitten expanses surrounding the infamous Ice Bay lie encased by steep mountain sides but connects to the Great Sea to the north and into the even more inhospitable Forodwaith to the east.
Forochel will always be remembered for when King Arvedui escaped Fornost in III 1974, hid in dwarf-mines at the slopes of the Blue Mountains with his men, and eventually gained help from the Lossoth who right-fully feared Angmar's wrath. Círdan the Shipwright sent a ship west of the mountains for the King and it arrived in March III 1975. However, a great storm trapped the ship in the ice masses until it was broken, whether that was an act of the Witch-king of Angmar or not is unknown. The last King of Arnor and his men were lost, and so also the two palantíri of Amon Sûl and of Annúminas. Today adventurers supporting the Free Peoples, as well as foes out of Angmar, are seeking other heirlooms that were lost but maybe lie waiting a finder under the snow.
- See also: Lossoth language
- Levels: 44 - 50
- Factions: Lossoth of Forochel
- Crafting: Master (but no wood)
- Neighbouring: Evendim
- Introduced: Book 13: Doom of the Last-king, April 2008
Warning: The southern tip of the Ice Bay of Forochel dominates the region. The water is deadly cold, and swimming in the bay causes environmental damage and eventually death by misadventure.
(Ordered by main quest-level)
- Village: Kauppa-kohta: Stable-master, Milestone, Healer, Provisioner, Supplier, Mailbox
- Quests: mainly 44 - 45
- Large camp: Pynti-peldot: Stable-master, Milestone, Champion Trainer, Healer, Provisioner & Supplier, Mailbox, Tasks Bulletin Board
- Camp: Jänis-leiri: Camp Site Fire, Lore-master Trainer
- Quests: mainly 44 - 49
- Outpost: Zigilgund: Stable-master, Milestone, Forge, Burglar Trainer, Healer & Provisioner, Supplier, Mailbox, Tasks Bulletin Board
- Quests: mainly 46 - 47
- Capital: Sûri-kylä
- Bard, Stable-master, Milestone, Vault-keeper, Healer, Provisioner, Class trainers, Mailbox, Reflecting Pool, Sage of Eriador, Skirmish Camp, Tasks Bulletin Board
- Crafting: Forge, Oven, Workbench, Expert Metalsmith and Tailor trainers, Novice Cook, Supplier
- Factions: Lossoth of Forochel
- Camp Site Fires
- Quests: mainly 47 - 50
- Camp: Kuru-leiri: Stable-master, Milestone, Camp Site Fire, Healer, Supplier & Provisioner, Hunter Trainer
- Quests: mainly 49 - 50
- Quests: mainly 46 - 50
- Dungeons: Agoroth, the Narrowdelve
QuestsFor more detail, see Forochel Quests
DeedsFor more detail, see Forochel Deeds
TitlesFor more detail, see Forochel Titles
|Creature Shard Drops|
|These creatures are tougher and have a high chance to drop a shard that can be used in crafting more advanced recipes.|
- Master (but no wood)
- Primarily: Great Lodge of Sûri-kylä
- Forge - Great Lodge of Sûri-kylä, Zigilgund
- Oven - Great Lodge of Sûri-kylä
- Workbench - Great Lodge of Sûri-kylä
Tribes of Men known as Forodwaith, which also is the name of their land, have inhabited the frozen wastes of the north as far back as First Age. The extreme cold is a lingering remnant from the time when Melkor ruled out of Utumno.
The Lossoth (Sindarin for Snow men, or folk) re-settled at the Cape of Forochel but also camped around the shores of the Ice Bay. They had little contact with other folks and were both afraid and ignorant of newer weapons and other things of the south. However, they were known for mastering their environment, such as living in ice lodges, skating, and using sleds.
A remarkable event happened when King Arvedui fled Angmar's rage and hid in dwarf mines in south-western Forochel, but those events are mentioned above.
Little more is known about these icy tundras and its sturdy inhabitants. Now characters meet Lossoth who fear to once again meet the wrath of Angmar, though they are not afraid to stand up for their land.
The developers loosely modelled Forochel on Sápmi and the indigenous people of Scandinavia, the Sámi. Sápmi spans across the Arctic regions of Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Russia. Many names and other terms are Finnish, though the in-game voices are definitely not of Finnish origin.
Prof. Tolkien had a particular love for the Finnish language. He likened it to "discovering a complete wine-cellar filled with bottles of an amazing wine of a kind and flavour never tasted before". — The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien
Here is a short primer on the beasts of Forochel in the Lossoth language:
- Norsu - mammoth
- Kilpa-kita - sabre-toothed tiger
- Peikko - white-furred Snow-beast
- Susi - white wolf
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of Forochel
|Areas:||Itä-mâ • Jä-kuru • Jä-rannit • Länsi-mâ • Talvi-mûri • Taur Orthon|
|Settlements:||Kauppa-kohta • Kuru-leiri • Pynti-peldot • Sûri-kylä • Zigilgund|
|Landmarks:||4th Dwarf Channel • 7th Dwarf Channel • 10th Dwarf Channel • Barad Gaurhoth • Hammastus-pesä • Hylje-leiri • Icereave Mines • The Ironspan • Jotunstath • Jä-reitti • Jänis-leiri • Karhu-leiri • Kibilzahar • Kissa-sari • Korkea-järvi • Leijona-kotin • The Lonesome Stones • Metsästä-sija • Norsu-hauta • Norsu-leiri • Peikko Den • Pynti-leiri • Reodh Fuil • Skirmish Camp • Tûli-mäit • Vesi-paistâ • Voi-teltta|
|Interiors:||Great Lodge of Sûri-kylä • Näky-kolo|
|Instances:||Agoroth, the Narrowdelve • Sâri-surma|
|Regions within the Land of Eriador
|Angmar • Bree-land • Cardolan • Dunland • Enedwaith • Ered Luin • Eregion • Ettenmoors • Evendim • Forochel • Gap of Rohan • Lone-lands • Misty Mountains • Nan Curunír • North Downs • Swanfleet • The Shire • Trollshaws|