- This page is about the location. For the expansion pack, see The Lord of the Rings Online: Helm's Deep.
- This page is about the location. For the Instances, see Epic Battles.
Helm's Deep is a large valley in the north-western Ered Nimrais (White Mountains) below the Thrihyrne located within the area of Westfold in West Rohan. . The valley was lined over its entire width by the natural series of hills called Helm's Dike and behind that lay the fortress of Aglarond or the Hornburg, at the entrance to the Glittering Caves. Atop the Hornburg there was a great tower, the top of which consisted of the great horn of Helm Hammerhand. The Deep, which stood next to the fortress, was barred by the long Deeping Wall, which consisted of solid rock except for a small culvert which allowed water from the Deeping Stream to enter; this rendered a fresh supply in sieges of great length.
Helm's Deep has multiple versions: "Before Midnight," "After Midnight," "Before Dawn," "Dawn," and "Sunrise". While these versions are visually identical, the game mechanics require that they each have unique "maps" (coordinates) to locate objects and individuals.
- Before Midnight occurs as you first arrive and offers a wide variety of services to prepare you for battle
- After Midnight occurs at the same time as the Epic Battle: Helm's Dike, Epic Battle: The Deeping Wall and Epic Battle: The Deeping-coomb
- Before Dawn occurs at the same time as the quest Vol. III. Book 13, Chapter 7, Defending the Deep and Epic Battle: The Glittering Caves
- There is no map of the inside of the Glittering Caves but the entrance is at coordinates 71.3S, 142.2W
- Dawn occurs at the same time as the Epic Battle: The Hornburg
- Sunrise occurs at the time of the quest Vol. III. Book 13, Chapter 10, The Hornburg
Helm's Deep was the largest fortress of Rohan, where the guards of the Fords of Isen lived. Originally named Aglarond, it was, with Angrenost (Isengard), one of two Gondorian strongholds built to guard the Fords of Isen.
Defence of Rohan
|Helm's Dike||Solo/Duo, Fellowship (Six)|
|The Deeping Wall||Solo/Duo, Raid (Twelve)|
|The Glittering Caves||Solo/Duo, Small Fellowship (Three)|
The following services be found within Helm's Deep Before Midnight version
- Merit Committee (Battle Decorations (Standard Honors))
- Merit Committee (Battle Decorations (High Honors))
- Gléowine and his Map-table (Helm's Deep, after Midnight) exist to transport you into the Battles.
- Hunter Trainer
- Rune-keeper Trainer
- Lore-master Trainer
- Minstrel Trainer
- Burglar Trainer
- Guardian Trainer
- Captain Trainer
- Warden Trainer
- Champion Trainer
The Epic Battles of Helm's Deep are initially encountered during the Epic Quest Line associated with the Helm's Deep Expansion. Unlike previous portions of the Epic Quest line, the [Deep Expansion] is a required purchase to continue the Epic Quest line.
These battles are found in the chapters of Vol. III. Book 13: The Battle of the Hornburg. They are accessed via the Defence of Rohan User Interface (UI).
|Volume III, Book 13: Helm's Deep|
Vol. III. Book 13: The Battle of the Hornburg
Notes on the new Game technology and the implementation of the battle
- "Turbine said that while Peter Jackson's vision of Helm's Deep made a serious impact on how fans saw the battle, "LOTRO is the game of the books" and as such is striving to provide a more accurate representation of the conflict as depicted in the original books. So while there will be no Elves showing up or Gandalf charging in to save the day, we will experience many events of the books that didn't make it to film, such as clashes at the dike and the glittering caves.
- "The outcome of the "Big Battle" of Helm's Deep is fixed in lore and won't be impacted by the player, but each player can make a difference in how they contribute to that victory through their efforts.
- "Part of a player's contribution will depend on how his group coordinates (if he is in one) and what role he decides to pursue. There are three roles in the defense of Helm's Deep: vanguard, engineer, and officer. Vanguards are focused on wading into the battle and doing some personal damage, engineers fire siege weapons and interact with environmental objects, and officers give orders. Seems there's a little something there for all interests." 
|Settlements and Landmarks of Westfold|
|Settlements:||Helm's Deep • Grimslade|
|Landmarks:||Erkenbrand's Refuge • Fords of Isen • Fushum Raus • The Hornburg • Lufût-mos • Marton • Marton Farmlands • Marton's Refugees • Shatorthum • The Staging Camp|
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of West Rohan|
|Settlements:||Aldburg • Beaconwatch • Brockbridge • Dunharrow • Edoras • Entwade • Fenmarch • Gapholt • Grimslade • Helm's Deep • Middlemead • Oserley • Stoke • Tordag's Camp • Underharrow • Woodhurst • Derndingle|
|Areas:||Broadacres • Eastfold • Kingstead • Stonedeans • Westfold • Entwood|
|Landmarks:||Kingstead: Dark Door • Dimholt • Bosa's Farm • Folcbur's Homestead • Gurz-shâpol • Harrowdale • Meduseld • Pendlac's Farm • Upbourn|
Eastfold: Everholt • Folde Farm • Gris-shâtroful • Dorr-shâtroful
|Tutorial:||Basic Training (Tutorial)|
|The Battle of Helm's Deep:||Helm's Dike • The Deeping Wall • The Deeping-coomb • The Glittering Caves • The Hornburg|
|War for Gondor:||Retaking Pelargir • Defence of Minas Tirith • Hammer of the Underworld|
|Roles and Promotions:||Engineer • Officer • Vanguard|
|Merit and Rewards:||Epic Battle Rewards|