|Region:||The North Downs|
|Dungeon(s):||Wraith of Water |
Wraith of Earth
Wraith of Fire
Wraith of Shadow
|Landmark(s):||Barad Eithel |
|Fields of Fornost|
|Levels:||Mainly 25 - 26|
This area is found north of the Fields of Fornost. It contains four World Instances. The name is Sindarin for "Northern Fortress" and it is known as "Deadmen's Dike" among Men. Once this was a major Númenórean city. It was the last city of the Northern Kingdom to fall to the Witch-king of Angmar more than thousand years before the current era of Lotro. (See "Lore" below for further historical details.) For centuries these ruins were peaceful and covered with grass, but recently Fornost was overrun by evil creatures from Angmar. Who knows what are they seeking and what fuels their hatred?
The section outside of the instances, north of the Fields, is unofficially called Fornost City and several quests take place there. Other quests require access into the different instances. Just outside the entrance to the instances is a Camp Site Fire. The nearest stable-masters are in Amon Raith and Trestlebridge, and the nearest services are found at Treasure Hunters' Camp.
Notice that the four instances must be done in order and within each a certain deed must be completed which unlocks the next instance. They are, in order: Water, Earth, Fire, and Shadow. Non-VIP accounts must purchase the Quest Pack:North Downs to access the instances.
These instances must be done in order, can be accessed thru Fornost's main gate or the Instance Finder Panel:
Within the instances these landmarks are located respectively:
- Barad Eithel is located inside the instance Fornost: Wraith of Water
- Barad Harn is located inside the instance Fornost: Wraith of Earth
- Barad Narthan is located inside the instance Fornost: Wraith of Fire
- Minas Erain is located inside the instance Fornost: Wraith of Shadow
Most quests are given at the Treasure Hunters' Camp
-  Instance: Free Range - Session Play
-  A Leader Unveiled
-  Captain Riamul
-  Eliminating the Beasts
-  Pre-emptive Measures
-  Rock-worms
-  Seeking the Source
-  Ending the Elder - Small Fellowship
-  Stopping the Siege
-  Fell the Trolls
-  Stem the Invasion
-  Putting Down the Dead
Within the Instances
Click [-] to contract a list of deeds found within the instance.
Closest group of NPCs that interact with Fornost are from the adjacent Treasure Hunters' Camp:
|Elsie Whitman||Healer & Provisioner|
|Colbert the Mad||Quest|
NPCs within the Instances
Outside the Instances
- Ancient Field-bear
- Ancient Hoar-mantle
- Blogmal Defiler
- Blogmal Guard
- Blogmal Pillager
- Blogmal Raider
- Blogmal Sapper
- Blogmal Spear-master
- Blogmal Warlord
- Fearsome Rock-worm
- Field-bear Cub
- Great Hoar-mantle
- Sickly Razortooth
Mobs within the Instances
Rewards within the Instance
- Shorter version
- Fornost flourished as the last capital of the fallen North Kingdom until it was destroyed by the Witch-king of Angmar. A year later Eärnur, last king of Gondor, along with Glorfindel and forces from Rivendell, defeated the Witch-king and drove his forces off. However, the city soon fell into decay and ruin. For roughly a thousand years now, it has become the haunt of orcs and fell things, and men call it "Deadman's Dike".
- Longer version
- Located in the north-west of the North Downs, where the Greenway leads, stands the city of Fornost, broken long ago by the armies of Angmar. It once served as the seat of kings. When it fell, so did the North Kingdom of the Dúnedain - Arnor.
- Arnor was the northern kingdom of the noble-blooded Dúnedain, founded late in the Second Age by Elendil, who later died at the hands of Sauron. In those days, the capital of Arnor sat in the city of Annúminas, on Lake Evendim, west of the North Downs.
- Generations later, in a dispute over succession, Arnor was broken into three realms, and the North Downs became the dominion of a new kingdom called Arthedain. Here Amlaith — the first king of Arthedain, and a direct descendant of Isildur and Elendil — made Fornost his capital.
- For more than eleven hundred years, the Dúnedain kings of Arthedain ruled from Fornost. It was a king of Arthedain that bestowed the lands of the Shire to Hobbits from Bree. The Hobbits called Fornost the “King’s Norbury,” a translation of the city’s formal Elvish title of Fornost Erain (literally, “northern fortress of kings”). The folk of the North Downs use all these names today. Some Men also call the lands of Fornost “the Deadman’s Dike,” for today the city and its fields are a bleak ruin.
- Almost a thousand years ago, the hordes of Angmar swept across Nan Amlug and overran Fornost as part of the Witch-king’s stratagem to conquer the North Kingdom. The city fell. (Some say that traitors bewitched by Amarthiel — a champion of Angmar — betrayed the proud city from within.) Routed Dúnedain lords fled the land and king Arvedui, escaped to the frozen north but was lost at sea. So ended the kingdom of Arthedain.
- The Witch-king held the city of Fornost for a year, until an army made of Men from Gondor under Eärnur, the last king of Gondor, along with Elves from Lindon and Rivendell, and rallied remnants of the northern Dúnedain, arrived on the Fields of Fornost. The battle that followed ravaged the land and destroyed the army of Angmar. The Witch-king fled east to Carn Dûm, but his mark forever stained Fornost and its fields.
- The ruined city of Fornost seems forever blighted by the treachery and brutality of its defeat. Once a place of kings, it is now befouled by Orcs and haunted by Oathbreakers and fell spirits. Do not venture here alone. — Hero's Guide
North Downs maps
|Bosses of Fornost|
|Zhurmat • Shiruk & Kamordî • Megoriath ♦ Warchief Búrzghâsh • Gurkâmâb • Rhavameldir ♦ Riamul • Zanthrug • Brogadan ♦ Krithmog • Einiora • Remmenaeg|
|Shadows of Angmar Fellowship Instances|
|Great Barrow:||The Maze • Thadúr • Sambrog|
|Fornost:||Wraith of Water • Wraith of Earth • Wraith of Fire • Wraith of Shadow|
|Garth Agarwen:||Arboretum • Barrows • Fortress|
|Annúminas:||Glinghant • Haudh Valandil • Ost Elendil|
|Angmar:||Barad Gúlaran • Carn Dûm • Urugarth|
|Tham Mírdain:||The Library at Tham Mírdain • The School at Tham Mírdain|
|Other:||The Halls of Night • Inn of the Forsaken • Goblin-town Throne Room|
|Shadows of Angmar Raid Instances|
|Raids:||The Rift of Nûrz Ghâshu • Bogbereth • Ferndúr the Virulent • Helegrod: Dragon Wing (24) • Helegrod: Drake Wing • Helegrod: Giant Wing • Helegrod: Spider Wing|