Helegrod: Giant Wing
|Level:||50 - 140|
|Area:||Bruinen Source North|
- "Helegrod... Once a dwarf-hold in the Misty Mountains, until the coming of a great dragon. Though the dragon has long since perished, and the ice of many long winters has engulfed the ruins, rumours out of the North speak of a terrible shadow returning to the frozen halls..."
Helegrod is a raid instance intended for raid groups of 12 to 24 players from level 50 and up. The entrance is located at the top of the Bitter Stair, in the far northern reaches of the Misty Mountains. A Camp Site Fire with a Mustering Horn is found south-west of the stairs, at a camp where Sigrun provides raid quests.
A winding path leads higher into the mountains, through many Giants that can hurl boulders for great distances and also knock unwary players off the edge of a cliff. After the first bend, the group will be stuck in combat with a group of boulder-throwing Giants up on a cliff. Ranged classes should keep aggro off of the healers while the rest of the group fights its way up to the Giants. The rest of the pulls are straightforward, and the path eventually leads to Storvâgûn, the leader of the Giants.
The main tank should grab Storvâgûn and turn him away from the group - the open cliff looks dangerous, but there's an invisible wall, so you don't have to worry about getting knocked off the edge. The rest of the group should stand directly behind the boss and DPS him until the first wave of adds, which should be killed before doing any more damage to Storvâgûn. At about half morale he will drop all aggro and become enraged, while a large pack of snow-beasts charges in. The tank(s) should pick up the beasts and kite them (don't bother killing them as they will just respawn) while the rest of the group finishes off the boss.
If doing Challenge mode, make sure everyone stays near the edge of the cliff, as any players standing too close to a snowbank risk getting knocked back into it and failing the challenge.
Notice that quest level depends on the level of the instance, here are listed the minimum levels
-  Challenge: Storvâgûn
-  Raid: Beasts of Snow
-  Raid: Giants in Service of Angmar
-  Raid: Giant-slayer
-  Helegrod Giant - Raid
This instance is scalable; for stats, see each boss individually (and add missing data).
- In the distant north of the linked valleys of the Misty Mountains lie the frozen halls of Helegrod. Once it was a great Dwarf-hold, home to treasures dug from mountain mines, secure against cold winds and rancorous Orcs, but its glittering riches and mountaintop fires caught the eye of a Dragon called Thorog. It descended on Helegrod and laid claim to the fortress until the coming of Durin V, who led a company of Dwarves against the beast.
- Thorog perished, but his defeat cost the lives of many brave Dwarves, including Durin. The survivors, blood-stained and grieving, felt the shadow of Thorog was too great to ever forget. They emptied their treasuries and withdrew, abandoning Helegrod and the corpse of Thorog to the ice. After the flight of Durin’s Folk, Helegrod’s halls lay empty for countless long winters.
- The path to Helegrod is a steep and snowy stretch marked by Dwarf-made columns and known now as the Bitter Stair. The main gate of Helegrod is a true testimony of dwarven craftmanship. Here, blazing Dwarf-torches warn of the scarred and evil-tinged halls abandoned beyond. All the great gates of Helegrod bear carvings of the dragon Thorog, who slew so many here and was slain himself too. — Hero's Guide
|Shadows of Angmar Fellowship Instances
|The Great Barrow:||The Maze • Thadúr • Sambrog|
|Fornost:||Wraith of Water • Wraith of Earth • Wraith of Fire • Wraith of Shadow|
|Garth Agarwen:||Arboretum • Barrows • Fortress|
|Annúminas:||Glinghant • Haudh Valandil • Ost Elendil|
|Angmar:||Barad Gúlaran • Carn Dûm • Urugarth|
|Tham Mírdain:||The Library at Tham Mírdain • The School at Tham Mírdain|
|Other:||The Halls of Night • Inn of the Forsaken • Goblin-town Throne Room|
|Shadows of Angmar Raid Instances|
|Raids:||The Rift of Nûrz Ghâshu • Bogbereth • Ferndúr the Virulent • Helegrod: Dragon Wing (24) • Helegrod: Drake Wing • Helegrod: Giant Wing • Helegrod: Spider Wing|