- Level: 85-95
- Reputation Factions: The Eorlingas, The Helmingas and The Ents of Fangorn Forest
- Introduced: Helm's Deep Expansion, November 2013
- Quest Pack: Expansion: Helm's Deep
Originally the Gondorian province of Calenardhon, the land north of the White Mountains was gifted by Steward Cirion to Eorl of the Northmen in 2510 (Third Age). Eorl had led his men through great hardship from the far north to the aid of Gondor, and Cirion gave him the wide green lands of Calenardhon in recognition of his aid, swearing eternal friendship between old Gondor and the new land of Rohan.
Rohan's history was one of conflict and war; with the Orcs of the White Mountains to their south, the Dunlendings to the west, and ultimately with Saruman in Nan Curunír in the fortress of Isengard in the tower of Orthanc to the northwest .
Nonetheless, the line of the Kings of Rohan stretched from Eorl's time to the War of the Ring and beyond. The Kings sat in the Golden Hall of Meduseld in Edoras, built by Eorl's son Brego. At the time of Gondor's greatest need, they kept the Oath of Eorl, and rode to the aid of their ancient allies at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields.
- The Warg-riders of Saruman sweep into the Broadacres to burn and destroy with unrelenting fires that consume large swaths of grassland outside Stoke. Catastrophe looms as the flames encroach on the Riders' settlements. In the north, the village of Torsbury is assaulted by Dunlendings, pressing their invasion out of the Stonedeans.
- A flat and fertile land of rich soil and swaying, grey-green grass, growing so high in places that it reaches the knees of a man on horseback. The land is among the least rocky in the Mark, and while a few chestnuts and elms dot the landscape, most of it is treeless.
- Reeve Fríthild is the sole woman to rule a Riding in the Mark. A shield-maiden by birth and training, she was the only child of the former knight, Fríthgist, who raised her like a son. When Éowyn visited Edoras as a child, Fríthild treated her like a foster-sister. Ever since, Éowyn has wanted to follow her footsteps and wield a sword in battle.
- Located on the far side of the realm, away from Isengard, Eastfold has seen little of Saruman's savagery, but is not at peace. Long thought destroyed and starved for vengeance, the Orcs of the White Mountains stir once more through Sauron's dark will.
- Eastfold's lands divide into three areas: the Folde, the Fenmarch, and the Everholt. The Folde is rich farmland that has long served the realm. The Fenmarch blooms with wildflowers, tussocks, reeds. Everholt is an old oak forest and royal hunting ground running uphill to the White Mountains.
- Home of Éomer, Third Marshal of the Riddermark, Eastfold is among the oldest Ridings in the Mark; it was the seat of Eorl the Young when he first became King. The capital moved to Edoras during the reign of his son Brego, but the Eastfold remains the site of many important moments of Rohan's history.
- For nearly thirty years, from atop Edoras, beloved Théoden King has ruled Kingstead and the entire Mark. In recent months, Gríma Wormtongue's whispering counsel has made the once-beloved King increasingly feeble and suspicious. Now, word of his son Théodred's death has sunk Théoden into a dark and profound depression.
- Kingstead, royal Riding of the Mark, is among the most fertile and pleasant of all Rohan's provinces. Stretches of rich green grassland and farms are scattered between the rivers Snowbourn and Swiftwater, where the land grows damp and marshy, dotted with willow trees.
- Behind Edoras, deep into the White Mountains, lies the valley of Harrowdale, once plagued by Orcs that were wiped out over a century ago by King Folca the Hunter. Some whisper, however, that not all the Orcs were slain, and that some are biding their time, waiting for a chance to exact vengeance upon the Mark.
- The Wild Men, with help from Saruman's Orcs and Uruk-hai, control a great deal of the Stonedeans. They prepare to cross the river-gorge at Brockbridge, where a few brave men hold back an endless tide threatening to wash over northern Stonedeans. Should the Wild Men succeed, they will surely march on Edoras to raze the city and its golden hall to the ground.
- A region among the foothills of the Misty Mountains, the Stonedeans consists of crags, broken stones, tall oaks and firs, and rushing rivers. A source of many of the metals worked by the Rohirrim, particularly iron mined from the low mountains that surround Nan Curunír.
- By no coincidence is this Riding the most similar to Dunland. Historically poor and uncivilized, compared with the remainder of the Westemnet, the Stonedeans have seen many marriages between Eorlingas the Dunlendings. Rohirrim from more prosperous lands even call it "Deanland" in jest.
- Ravaged and burned by servants of Isengard, the Westfold has crumbled into disarray. Its leaders scatter and lose skirmishes as they attempt to regroup, and even the mightiest begin to lose heart. The great refuge of Helm's Deep is the Rohirrim's last hope, and it is upon these sparsely defended walls that the enemy hordes assault.
- Rocky meadows dotted by elms and alders, many chopped and hewn by raiders, the Westfold is cut by the rushing river of Swiftwater. Three other rivers, the Deeping-stream, the Grimbrook, and the Woodwell, flow from the White Mountains, their banks peppered with stony outcroppings.
- Helm's Deep is protected by a raised and semi-fortified earthwork known as Helm's Dike and the ancient Númenórean keep, the Hornburg. Beyond the Hornburg, the mighty Deeping-wall shelters the rest of the valley. The Deeping-stream runs through the wall's base.
- After the events of the Last March of the Ents and the Breaking of Isengard, the central area of Fangorn Forest is still in turmoil. The Ent Quickbeam has returned to the hidden valley of Derndingle and is looking for help to restore peace beneath the ancient trees of the Entwood.
- Located deep within Fangorn Forest, the Entwood borders the Broadacres and Fangorn's Edge in East Rohan. The river Entwash runs through the forest, streaming down from the Misty Mountains.
- Derndingle, a hidden valley within the forest, recently saw the largest gathering of Ents in a very long time - the Entmoot. Treebeard's house, Wellinghall, is located behind a large waterfall, where the Entwash comes crashing down from the mountains.
Instances and Epic Battles
Main article: Epic Battles
|Helm's Dike||Solo/Duo, Fellowship (Six)|
|The Deeping Wall||Solo/Duo, Raid (Twelve)|
|The Glittering Caves||Solo/Duo, Small Fellowship (Three)|
A note on Quest Sequencing.
- Most of the quests in West Rohan are "sequenced." That is to say, you must complete certain other quests before you will be offered a particular quest.
- Intermixed with the "normal quest lines" are those of the Epic Volume III.
The structure requires you to complete Volume III Book 11 to open up the "local" quest lines.
- Epic Quest Line
|Volume III, Book 11: The Golden Hall|
Previous: Volume III, Book 10
Vol. III. Book 11: The Golden Hall
Next: Volume III, Book 12
|Volume III, Book 12: War in the Westemnet|
Previous: Volume III, Book 11
Vol. III. Book 12: War in the Westemnet
Next: Volume III, Book 13
|Volume III, Book 13: The Battle of the Hornburg|
Previous: Volume III, Book 12
Vol. III. Book 13: The Battle of the Hornburg
- Warbands of West Rohan
- Fangorn (Entwood) Quests
|Fangorn (Entwood) Quests|
- West Rohan Resource Instances
|West Rohan Resource Instances Quests|
West Rohan Resource Instances
- West Rohan Task Quests
West Rohan detail maps
List of everything in region:
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of West Rohan|
|Settlements:||Aldburg • Beaconwatch • Brockbridge • Dunharrow • Edoras • Entwade • Fenmarch • Gapholt • Grimslade • Helm's Deep • Middlemead • Oserley • Stoke • Tordag's Camp • Underharrow • Woodhurst • Derndingle|
|Areas:||Broadacres • Eastfold • Kingstead • Stonedeans • Westfold • Entwood|
|Landmarks:||Kingstead: Dark Door • Dimholt • Bosa's Farm • Folcbur's Homestead • Gurz-shâpol • Harrowdale • Meduseld • Pendlac's Farm • Upbourn|
Eastfold: Everholt • Folde Farm • Gris-shâtroful • Dorr-shâtroful
|Regions of Rhovanion|
|East Rohan (Wildermore) • Ered Mithrin and Withered Heath • Eryn Lasgalen and the Dale-lands • The Great River • Iron Hills • Lothlórien • Mirkwood • Moria • West Rohan (Entwood) • Vales of Anduin|