Southern Mirkwood is a region in the land of Rhovanion. It encompasses the forest from the eastern shores of the Anduin to the dreaded fortress of Dol Guldur. When you first arrive in Mirkwood, you will be launched into a public instance. You will enter the normal Mirkwood when you finish an instance concerning the assault on the gates leading to the Dourstocks. You need to complete the foreword quest chain for Vol. II. Book 9 to unlock the instance.
Mirkwood is a name used for two distinct fictional forests in J. R. R. Tolkien's legendarium.
In the First Age, the highlands of Dorthonion north of Beleriand were known as Mirkwood after falling under Morgoth's control. Along with the rest of the region west of Ered Luin, this forest disappeared after the cataclysm of the War of Wrath, although a few of its peaks may have survived as an island far off the coast of Lindon.
In the Second Age, the large forest in Rhovanion, east of the Anduin in Middle-earth, was was known as Greenwood the Great.
There are, strictly speaking, no settlements in Mirkwood. However, there is a number of smaller camps or outposts throughout the area.
- Quests: mainly 65
- Dol Guldur after it is cast down
- Called Dol Dhannen by the elves
- Only accessible during quests, no direct connection from Mirkwood
- Outpost: Ost Galadh
- Stable-master, Mailbox, Milestone
- Bard, Vault-keeper, Reflecting Pool
- Quests: mainly 63-65
- Quests: mainly 61
- Quests: mainly 63-65
Points of Interest
-  Instance: Death From Below occurs in Nothgar Cellar 1-man instance
-  Instance: The Exchange occurs at the gate Fennas Guldur 1-man instance
-  Volume II, Epilogue: Alfirimbes occurs in The Hall of Lights 3-man instance
-  Volume II, Epilogue: Ningloril occurs in Gath Ulunn 1-man instance
-  Volume II, Epilogue: Barvessain occurs in Agistath 1-man instance
- Strike Against Dannenglor - skirmish accessed through the Instance Finder
- Protectors of Thangúlhad - skirmishs can be found in the Instance Finder
In Dol Guldur
- Sword-Hall 3-man instance
- Dungeons of Dol Guldur 3-man instance
- Warg-pens 3-man instance
- Sammath Gûl 6-man instance
- Barad Guldur 12-man instance
- Assault on the Ringwraiths' Lair - skirmish accessed through the Instance Finder
- Breaching the Necromancer's Gate- skirmish accessed through the Instance Finder
- The Battle in the Tower - skirmish accessed through the Instance Finder
Named Creatures Flake Collectors List
Each of these creatures is the rare, signature, tougher, named version and all have a high change to drop a rare flake used in crafting.
List of everything in region:
|Regions of Rhovanion|
|East Rohan (Wildermore) • Ered Mithrin and Withered Heath • Eryn Lasgalen and the Dale-lands • The Great River • Iron Hills • Lothlórien • Mirkwood • Moria • West Rohan (Entwood) • Vales of Anduin|