- This page is about the current version of Hobnanigans. For the pre-2014 version of Hobnanigans, see Hobnanigans (Pre-2014).
Hobnanigans, also known as Chicken Ball or Chicken Hockey is a special event in The Horsefields near Bree where two competing teams try to manoeuvre a chicken through their opponents goals by striking it with bats in order to score points. Taking part in games earns reputation with the Chicken Chasing League of Eriador and Hobnanigans Tokens, which can be bartered for cosmetic gear, emotes, housing decorations and cosmetic pets. The game returned shortly after Patch 13.1 following a hiatus since July 2007 and is expected to be played monthly.
|Past active dates
|9-11 May, 2014
|6-8 June, 2014
|4-6 July, 2014
|1-3 August, 2014
|5-7 September, 2014 
|3-5 October, 2014 
|7-9 November, 2014
|5-7 December, 2014
|2-4 January, 2015
|6-8 February, 2015
|6-8 May, 2016
|3-5 March, 2017
|31 May - 3 June, 2018
A Game of Hobnanigans
- The game is played by two teams of three or six on a field using sticks to bunt a Game Hen through the opposition goals.
- Win the game by scoring more goals than the opposition.
- It's much like soccer, football, and baseball mixed together. you're supposed to bat the chicken (as if batting a soccer ball) to your opponent's side of the field and into the goal, between either of the two goal posts. For example, the player with a red cloak and a red stick has to hit the chicken to the goal on the blue team's side of the field. The red player will see a blue banner above the wooden goal posts. That's the goal that the red player has to hit the chicken through.
- Every player who participates in a game receives 5 Hobnanigans Tokens, and players on the winning team receive an additional 10 tokens.
- Each game lasts ten minutes.
- There are four fields available, each with a Flying Feathers and Steel Beaks captain who gives the quest to play each round.
- These captains will continue to give the quest even if a team is filled or a game is in progress. You simply won't be able to take a stick or enter the field.
- You are able to switch teams between rounds, but not during games.
- Once a game has started invisible walls around the field become active, teleporting non-players out of the playing field and stopping others from entering the field.
- You start the game with one chicken hitting ability (Chicken Hit), with more powerful abilities, including buffs and debuffs, becoming available as the game progresses.
- Teammates wear a special cloak and have a rune floating above their heads, red for the Flying Feathers and blue for the Steel Beaks.
- The Cloak is only visible if the player is using their default "equipment Outfit."
- At the start of each game there is a chance that bales of straw will appear on the field, providing obstacles that must be played around.
- After each goal is scored there is a chance that a wagon will appear in one set of each teams goals, stopping points from being scored through it.
- Be careful, as it is possible to hit the chicken through your own goals and score points for the opposition.
- Before the game starts, don't leave the field once you have picked up your stick, whether it is a blue stick or red stick, because you'll be out of the game for the duration of it if you do. Once the game is in session, you won't be able to leave the field until the game ends.
Strategy and tactics
- The Serious Business effect is enabled for the duration of the game.
- Special game abilities can be dragged to your Quick Slot Bar, making them easier to activate.
- Every player's instinct is to chase close to the chicken spamming their abilities. Spread yourself out, anticipate where the chicken will be hit to, and time your shots.
- In 3v3 games, have two players trying to score goals and the third in the back half, acting as a goal keeper and slowing down the oppositions attacks.
- In 6v6 games, spread your players out along the wings and midfield and move the chicken between players carefully rather than rushing straight for the goals.
- There is a way to play with less players but it takes time. Select a quest and take a stick. wait for 5 minutes, leave the field and repeat until all sticks are taken.
Hint: Aim to end up with all players on the blue team, so take all the red sticks first. The blue team has one chip less to put the chicken into the goal, and beginners will almost always join you on the blue team!
Chicken Chasing skills
- By default the Event Quickslot will appear in the center of your screen unless you have previously moved it to another location.
- (Certain combat skills will generate an Event Quickslot when certain requirements are met.)
- As you mouse over the top-left edge of the Event Quickslot, you can click and drag it to another location on the screen more convenient.
- You can also drag the contents of the Event Quickslot to a convenient location on your Quickslot bar if that is easier for you.
- Note however, that you will need to repeat this drag to your quickslot bar for each new appearance of the Event Quickslot (i.e. each new game of Hobnanigans).
- During the game you get two additional "skills." There are four available, they appear in random order.
- The first bonus skill appears at six minutes remaining
- The second bonus skill appears at two minutes remaining
- Hobnanigans Field 1 - 6 v 6
- Haggo Boffin - Flying Feathers (Red team) Captain
- Quest:A Game of Hobnanigan -- Flying Feathers
- Carnelian Bracegirdle - Steel Beaks (Blue team) Captain
- Quest:A Game of Hobnanigan -- Steel Beaks
- Hobnanigans Field 2 - 3 v 3
- Gorbulas Millstone - Flying Feathers Captain
- Quest:A Game of Hobnanigan -- Flying Feathers - Field 2
- May Tighfield - Steel Beaks Captain
- Quest:A Game of Hobnanigan -- Steel Beaks - Field 2
- Hobnanigans Field 3 - 3 v 3
- Olo Knotwise - Flying Feathers Captain
- Quest:A Game of Hobnanigan -- Flying Feathers - Field 3
- Belba Hardbottle - Steel Beaks Captain
- Quest:A Game of Hobnanigan -- Steel Beaks - Field 3
- Hobnanigans Field 4 - 6 v 6
- Dimple Grubb - Flying Feathers Captain
- Quest:A Game of Hobnanigan -- Flying Feathers - Field 4
- Melilot Toadfoot - Steel Beaks Captain
- Quest:A Game of Hobnanigan -- Steel Beaks - Field 4
Quartermaster (Consumables) [25.6S, 52.3W]
Quartermaster (Cosmetic Equipment) [25.9S, 51.5W]
Quartermaster (Emotes) [26.0S, 52.3W]
Quartermaster (Facepainting) [25.7S, 51.9W]
Quartermaster (Housing Decorations) [25.4S, 51.7W]
Quartermaster (Pets) [25.4S, 51.2W]
Quartermaster (Recipes) [25.8S, 51.0W]
Quartermaster (Token Boost) [25.7S, 51.8W]
Main article: Hobnanigans (Pre-2014)
This game appeared once, for the Summer Solstice Festival, June 20 - July 10, 2007. It was buggy, with the chickens very hard to target and hit and tending to run out of bounds frequently which got the Referee confused.