~~ Talk Page Archives ~~
Do you know anything about:
Do you know anything about: Template_talk:Item_Tooltip#Undocumented.2Fincomplete_changes...?
Re: Moblore template
The 'lore' just spawned from the stats being from Lore-masters, but you are correct in that some confusion may lead from that. I will change the template header to 'Advanced Stats', thanks for the suggestion!
Also, not sure if you have done much work with templates yourself...but if you have and care to fine tune these...I tried to add some switches on the Mob template so the respective categories would get added automatically; however it was beyond my skill so I'm just adding them manually at present. A similar trigger to change the advanced stats on the Moblore template to their respective colors would be nice also, but was again beyond my current capabilities. If you have the knowhow and the time any help would be appreciated.--Savi (talk) 09:44, 21 August 2013 (EDT)
- I'm not a template whiz, but I have been able to figure out switches and auto-categorization on a few of them. I'll have a look at yours and see if I can figure it out. -- Elinnea (talk) 19:35, 21 August 2013 (EDT)
- Thanks Elinnea! I just found a helpful mediawiki page so I'm pretty sure I got the auto categories to work...I was trying to imbed them before and didn't realize that wasn't necessary :) And found a current template that changes the colors, woot! If you see anything I missed give a holler ^_^ --Savi (talk) 13:09, 23 August 2013 (EDT)
Helms Deep will significantly impact the Wiki
There are MANY changes coming with Helm's Deep (12.0) which will impact the accuracy and "correctness" of LOTRO-Wiki. Probably more changes than we have digested in quite some time.
- Class Changes and Trait Trees have already been "exposed" to the public, however, there are many more "significant" changes being made all over the place.
- The one "obvious" one will be the addition of T9 crafting and all that implies. (New recipes, new mats, etc.) Similarly the Class Changes imply issues for the Lua API.
- While substantial changes to housing are apparently being deferred to 12.1 -- statements have been made implying that they will happen AFTER 12.0 but before year end.\
- "Big Battles" (or whatever they will be called) have been "announced" but not fleshed out.
- I've been participating in the LOTRO course at Vanderbilt via Coursera - and trying to influence folks to come join the Wiki...
- The one question I've just thought about -- how do we update things? That is -- how do we archive the old when we write-up the new. I'm thinking in particular of pages like the "Getting Started" and "Character" series ...
|Game Guides Topics: Getting Started, Game Terms, Commands, Character, Grouping, Music, Travelling|
|Character Topics: Getting Started, Character Stats, Races, Classes, Skills, Traits, Cosmetic|
- Now, that exposed an interesting bug... (now fixed). The Character Topics template had a "<p>" which apparently caused the closing </center> to be ignored.
- Wm Magill - Valamar - OTG/OTC - talk 14:13, 18 September 2013 (EDT)
- I have to admit I'm looking forward to having things to overhaul. It's much more satisfying to completely make something new than to read through, hunting for typos in a tooltip or trying to figure out if anything has changed in a quest text. Of course all the things I'm looking forward to editing are going to be way more to do than I'll be able to handle on my own. Seeking out more contributors is probably a wise idea. I might be able to do some advertising in my own channels.
- As for how to update pages - what's wrong with simply deleting everything that's outdated and replacing it with things that are true? It means you have to wait until after the expansion launches to start updating those general pages, but after that, that's what the View History option is there for. Even guests, not logged into the wiki, can look at a page's entire edit history. I see no need to make separate archives to clutter up the search and categories. Sometimes I've added comments like "Prior to the release of Update X, this skill was known as ..." when a name change was particularly confusing. But in general, my philosophy of this wiki has always been that it should represent the current state of the game. -- Elinnea (talk) 18:49, 18 September 2013 (EDT)
I have no problem with that. It just seems that historically people have wanted to keep "the old" around when things have been changed significantly. Wm Magill - Valamar - OTG/OTC - talk 20:24, 19 September 2013 (EDT)
- I don't remember who this was, but indeed there was someone on this wiki super holding onto old content - Zimoon maybe? Not sure who's still active. Good to see you guys are enthusiastic about the Helm's Deep changes. I got a headache myself when I was thinking of the new class changes in relation to the wiki! --Ravanel (talk) 16:09, 14 October 2013 (EDT)
- Hi Elinnea! Just composed the whole Martial Champion tree on my talk page, wondering what you think about it and what modifications I'll need to make. I'm wanting to put in a few of the screenshots so the tree and icons in it can be included, but not sure how. Help please? Thanks so much :) Garabrand (talk) 18:23, 9 November 2013 (EST)
- Hehe, I gathered as much. You're welcome. Now if it had been Fin making such an edit, I would have left well enough alone. :P -- Elinnea (talk) 16:01, 14 October 2013 (EDT)
NDA about to be lifted
Sapience has indicated that the NDA is to be lifted "very soon" -- not even TM'd! -- watch Twitter.
HD crafting changes.
Don't know if you have seen this thread: https://forums.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?529722-Helm-s-Deep-Crafting-Changes
A blue name posted... [QUOTE=Boskone08;6989718]Very interested in what happens to any components (like blades, hilts, hafts, bowstaffs, bindings, pads, braces, guards, etc.) we have in hand once HD comes on-line - do they disappear, need to be vendored, convert back (to ingots, planks, hides, etc.) or what? Happens as I have a good inventory of various tailor components in hand just now, and it looks like I need to do Something with them Real Soon Now...[/QUOTE]
Any components you have made will still be there. You will be able to sell them to a vendor or break them back down into the different crafting materials via auto-granted recipes located in your crafting panel under Obsolete Item Conversion.
- No, I hadn't seen that. I guess what that means for us is that old ingredients need to stay around on the wiki if they'll still exist in the game, probably with a note added about what you can do with them now. Sort of like Item:Snowback's Claw, although I see that particular one was never updated. And a bunch of new conversion recipes too, hmm. Thanks for the heads-up. -- 09:42, 9 November 2013 (EST)
I don't know if you've been following my "trail of destruction." :)
Basically, I've been making random updates this week to things like Vault and some other Store related items to include the New changes in Housing and the like. Getting a jump on things if you will. And in the process, standardizing some of the displays and creating some things for transclusion. (like all the storage entries). I'm going to try to finish up the Housing stuff, as there are some "interesting" changes in Update 12 -- like the apparent "permanency" of housing chest expansions. Wardrobe changes and created a Dressing Room.
I think the basic boiler-plate is in place for West Rohan. ... a HUGE number of "locations" to be created yet!
Doing updates is therapy between making moving arrangements :)
It looks like I'll be off-line from Thursday 11/14 till maybe (if I'm lucky) the 19th or 20th. I'll have Cable/Internet, so I'm hoping everything will be functional in time for the Dr. Who 50th on 23 November!
- Release Notes: I cleaned up the verbiage a bit and added the missing Dev Diaries.
- The Release notes make no reference to the Dev Diaries in particular, which are needed for almost any understanding of what was done.
- The Player Guides are a much more "thoughtful" (as opposed to: ghads, I have to document this mess by tomorrow!)
- There is so much information missing from the "official" publications from Turbine that it is pathetic.
- I've got my Comcast network connection "working" "sort-of" -- I just managed to update the Mac Client after about 3 hours! now to try the PC client.
- Would you (Magill mostly, but either) be opposed to moving that supplemental information over to The Lord of the Rings Online: Helm's Deep, perhaps with a link from the patch notes? (I agree that the notes were quite spectacularly underinformative.) Glad to see you've got a sort of connection going there, Bill. Good luck in continuing to get settled in the new place! Sethladan 14:35, 21 November 2013 (UTC)
- Since we've never dealt with such material before, especially the Dev Diaries, The Lord of the Rings Online: Helm's Deep probably makes as much sense as with the Release notes. It's just a short piece transcluded from my list.
- * We probably should start a page for the Dev Diaries -- my list contains "all" of them, including those which are no longer visible via lotro.com since the Forum upgrades. Some might be available via the Wayback machine, I haven't looked. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Magill (Contribs • User Talk).
I am only familiar with the wikia layout so i do not know how upload a new file. If you could help me, it would be appreciated.
Thank you, that helped. I hope its okay that i didnt replace the existing file but uploaded a new one. I didnt see that option until afterwards. Thanks again,
Thanks, all pages now have the updated map.
Same thing: Talk:Coldfells Outpost
- The only thing I can think of is that you were not logged in at the time you tried to edit those pages. Neither is protected that I can tell. (I did make both changes.)
- Wm Magill - Valamar - OTG/OTC - talk 21:45, 1 December 2013 (UTC)
- I just noticed that your second question never got answered. We only give Administrators the power to delete pages, so if you see something that needs to be deleted, you can add the Template:Delete Page to the top. Sometimes, though, we like to keep old pages around for reference, even if they're not in the game any more. If that's the case, you can use Template:Obsolete. It's somewhat up to your judgement, what needs to be kept around and what doesn't. -- Elinnea (talk) 15:36, 5 December 2013 (UTC)
TIPs for New Editors
- Since I've been in a documenting mood lately -- I have created: Template: Tips for New Editors -- blatantly lifting some of those you have provided to folks recently :). Take a look and, as always, feel free to add any thoughts you might have for newbies.
- Does it make sense to add it to Template: Welcome?
- Wm Magill - Valamar - OTG/OTC - talk 04:47, 12 December 2013 (UTC)
- I enjoy these documenting moods of yours. :)
- I edited a few things to clean it up a bit, but I'm not entirely sure I understand its purpose. Some tips will be relevant to everybody, but other things are specific to a certain area that many folks will never come across (the creature vs. mob distinction for instance). For this reason I hesitate to add something like this to the Welcome template. I prefer to give new editors specific advice based on what they're interested in contributing. It's more personal, and they'll be able to put it into practice right away.
- For some of the very basic tips (like the suggestion of using Preview), it might be nice to have them collected somewhere, which could be linked from the Welcome template perhaps. There are some good things in the Help section, but they're all a bit scattered and mingled with more esoteric instructions. Tips need to be short, pithy, and relevant to everybody who reads them, or else they won't bother to read them at all.
Template loop detected: Template Trait
Hi there. I'm not sure how active you are at the moment with class skills and legacies, but I know you've been busy with them in the past. It'd be awesome if you could give us your thoughts on Talk:Legacy Cost Progression#More values. Maybe you have some brilliant idea that I haven't thought of yet. --Ravanel (talk) 16:39, 4 February 2014 (UTC)
Please see: Template_talk:Crafting#Status_of_Template.3F
Special Events category
Hello, I've been working toward making Special Events a wrapper category for all ephemeral and repeating events. If it's appropriate for Weatherstock, please feel free to add it to the Special Events category. I would go ahead and do it but for the "coordinate" message. So I won't modify it without asking. Regards Acatlover2 (talk) 00:18, 28 December 2015 (UTC)
- Done! I also took off the construction tag, since I'm not actively working on the page any longer. Elinnea (talk) 00:56, 28 December 2015 (UTC)
- Please see discussion on the Talk Page of the Boilerplate: Item help page: Talk:Boilerplate:Item#Scaling_Items_revisited
- Wm Magill - Valamar - OTG/OTC - talk 16:51, 23 August 2017 (UTC)
How to display/explain Mordor
I've answered you somewhat on my talk page. The topic is far from "done." Pretty much all of what exists for Mordor is what I put together, basically from Bullroarer, basically single-handedly. (LoL -- Pre-Discord!) -- It clearly needs work!