Paths of the Dead
|Paths of the Dead|
|Landmark(s):||Kêr Izel |
- Once Book 1: Chapter 2: The Ruthless Dead has been completed, the passage can be navigated in either direction.
Men under the Mountain
- In the second age, Wild men inhabited the valleys of the mountains. They had been servants of Sauron but swore allegiance to Isildur. With the fall of Garth Lotheg, IIsildur summoned the Men of the Mountain to Erech to fulfil their oath.
- But the Men of the Mountains refused to fulfil their oath. They had worshiped Sauron in the Dark Years and thought they would be rewarded.
- Then Isildur cursed them:
- Isildur says, "Death is too good for you, Rioc."
- Isildur says, "You will be the last king of your people."
- Isildur says, This curse I lay upon you and all your folk: never to rest until your oath be fulfilled."
- Isildur says, "You will not know the restful sleep of death."
- Isildur says, "You will not know a day without the regret of your broken oath!"
- Isildur says, "This war will last for uncounted years, and you will be summoned again before its end."
- Isildur says, "Now GO! Leave this place! My words will follow you for your restless eternity!"
- They fled before him, his curse echoing in their ears.
- They fled to their homes in the mountains, but they could never escape Isildur's curse.
- They haunt the Paths of the Dead ever since, and are now known as the Men under the Mountain.
- Candaith: 'The Men of the Mountain sought to escape their curse, but no word of man relates what became of them in the years since. It is said a shadow lies now in Erech, where they broke their oath, and none now take the Dimholt Road that ran through their gates and into their mountain home.
- 'The Rohirrim name that peak Dwimorberg, Haunted Mountain, and the passages beneath are known now as the Paths of the Dead. None would take that road, but Elrond bid his sons remember it, and that leads me to worry. I know it lies heavily upon Halbarad's mind.
- Kêr Izel is Breton for 'low city/fort'.
- Kêr Bras is Breton for 'large city/fort'.
- Lenn is Breton for 'lake/pool'.
- By Ceredig
- Quest giver - Court of the Fount - Golusel
-  Kêr Izel - Lenn Dûskud
-  Kêr Izel - The Shadow-watch
-  Kêr Izel - Fallen but not Forgotten
-  Kêr Izel - The Rutheless Dead
- Quest giver - Court of the Fount - Avordur
-  Kêr Bras - A Message of Courage
-  Kêr Bras - The Ruthless Dead
-  Kêr Bras - The Fallen
-  Kêr Bras - Bloom of Decay
|Settlements and Landmarks of Paths of the Dead|
|Landmarks:||Kêr Izel • Kêr Bras • The Shadow-watch • Lenn Dûskud|
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of Western Gondor|
|Settlements:||Dol Amroth • Calembel • Lothgobel • Morlad • Ost Lontir • Tadrent • Dínadab • Alagrant • Sardol • Lancrath|
|Areas:||Blackroot Vale • Cape of Belfalas • Havens of Belfalas • Lamedon • Paths of the Dead|
|Landmarks:||Blackroot Vale: Tingobel • The Stone of Erech • The Hill of Erech • Lhingroth • Tarlang's Neck • Tarlang's Crown|
Cape of Belfalas: Cathlond • Narvindon