Amlan is one of the Rangers who for years have protected the borders of the Shire and Bree-land. Recently many Rangers have had to journey elsewhere, eventually also Amlan must travel eastward to join the Grey Company, hence we will meet him at several locations throughout this tale.
Amlan is found outside the Prancing Pony in Bree, in the shadows by the backdoor. Eavesdropping your conversation with Dob Sandheaver it turns out that he apparently has an even bigger problem, or rather, Bree-land will have a giant problem if nothing is done.
-  Giant Problems - Fellowship
- "I have heard rumour of giants in the east...I wonder of what nature they are?"
- "Have you been well, friend?"
- "The day is coming when the Dúnedain of the North will take their rightful place in this world."
Amlan later travels south-east and makes his encampment at Echad Saeradan within Enedwaith. This is when the Grey Company travels southward and he is summoned to scout and secure their way in advance with his companion Andreg and Saeradan.
- "The Algraig use feathers for bedding and decoration. It may be to our benefit to collect many pristine feathers to bring to them as an offering of peace. Perhaps such an offering will entice them to trade with us."
-  Guidance of the White Hand
-  Biting the Hand that Feeds
-  A Dark and Lonely Forest
-  Volume III Book 4, Chapter 15: Friends in the Gravenwood
- [...] Storm on Methedras
- "Indeed, it is good that you have brought these orders to me...it appears that our passing has not been as secret as we had hoped."
Amlan (Central Gondor)
Journeying through Rohan and the Paths of the Dead, Amlan joins Aragorn and the Grey Host in the Battle of Pelargir. He is standing in the main trade court of the port city, getting ready to travel to Minas Tirith.
- "You found some maps of the Anduin? I cannot believe it! It is always the last place you check, or the first place you never checked, is it not?"
Amlan (The Wastes)