Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Region:||The Plateau of Gorgoroth|
Location and Lore
The Ephel Dúath (Sindarin for Mountains of Shadow, literally Outer Fence of Shadow) is a landmark within Lhingris in the Plateau of Gorgoroth.
- Ephel Dúath (Sindarin) - the Mountains of Shadow - form the borders of Mordor on the west and south.
- Bordering North Ithilien and South Ithilien of Gondor on the west, they swing east to form the southern border of Mordor, separating Mordor from the Harad lands to the south. They were breached midway by the Morgulduin, a river of Gondor, forming the pass of Cirith Ungol.
- In the north-west corner of Mordor, the northern end of the Ephel Dúath forms one side of the pass of Cirith Gorgor. A narrow pass with sheer cliffs on either side where the two mountain ranges meet -- the Ephel Dúath coming up the west side of Mordor, and Ered Lithui across the north of Mordor -- across which the Morannon (Black Gate) was constructed by Sauron.
- A pass in their middle, Cirith Ungol, the Morgul Vale, originally led from the Crossroads outside of Osgiliath to Minas Ithil.
- Cirith Ungol is Sindarin for "Spider's cleft", from cirith ("cleft, pass") and ungol ("spider")
- In their northern parts, the mountains had a series of ridges and hills on their eastern side, known as the Morgai.
- A spur forms one side of the pass of Carach Angren (also called "the Isenmouthe") which encircles the valley of Udûn.
- Maegond Spur
- South of that, the Maegond Spur is the spur of mountains coming out from the Morgai (Ephel Duath), south of Orodruin.
- The Maegond Spur forms part of the southern boundary of the Plateau of Gorgoroth. [66.6S, 17.6E]
- Mithram Spur
- On the opposite side of the valley, through which a road passes into the Gorgoroth region, is the Mithram Spur.
- Together these two mountain spurs close off the Plateau of Gorgoroth from Nurn and Lithlad.
|Settlements and Landmarks of Lhingris
|Landmarks:||Amon Rûth • Ceber Dúath • Cirith Ungol • Dath Nethryn • Durthang • Ephel Dúath • Fennas Gost • Iant Angos • Kála-murg • Kâm Lagúrz, the Brokencleft • Lugvarg • Morgai • Nelegroth • Rath Cail • Torech Ungol|
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of The Plateau of Gorgoroth
|Areas:||Agarnaith • Dor Amarth • Lhingris • Mokál Rukh • Orodruin • Talath Úrui • Udûn|
|Settlements:||Agarnaith Ranger Camp • Lûghash, the Flaming Spire • Magh Ashtu • Ruins of Díngarth • Udûn Foothold|
|Landmarks:||Barad-dûr • Bhol Rûdh • Dath Nethryn • Cirith Gorgor • Ennyn Ûr • Ephel Dúath • Ered Lithui • Forges of Anglach • Ghâshghurm • Grishbalt • Kala-gijak • Isenmouthe • Maegond Spur • Mithram Spur • Morannon • Mordath • Nargroth • Rath Cail • Seregost • Tower of Cirith Ungol|
|Interiors:||Anglach • Cirith Ungol • Durthang • Kâm Lagúrz, the Brokencleft • Lair of the Gloom-lord • Sammath Naur|
|Instances:||Anglach, the Great Foundry / Stockpiles of Gorgoroth: Bones of Barad-dûr • Road on The Burning Mountain • The Hold of Kála-murg • The Tower of Durthang • Trouble at Bhol Rûdh / World Instances: The Abyss of Mordath • The Court of Seregost • The Dungeons of Naerband|