Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The 19th of October marks the date of Durin's Day.
- In 2018, SSG added an event to mark Durin's Day and the events of The Hobbit.
- Durin's Day Upon Erebor - Quest (repeats each year)
- Observer of Durin's Day - Deed (first year)
- Observer of Durin's Day - Title (first year)
- Repeat Observer of Durin's Day - Deed (second year)
- Witness to the Sun and Moon - Title (second year)
- Dedicated Observer of Durin's Day - Deed (third year)
- Who Has Heard the Thrush's Knock - Title (third year)
- Dwarf-carved Stone - The memorial stone and its translation
The quest, Durin's Day Upon Erebor, is auto-bestowed upon arrival at the memorial stone. The path to the stone can be found beginning at [29.4N, 28.5W].
- Durin's Day event is scheduled for October 17 - October 23 2023
- Previous Dates
- 2022: 14:00 UTC, October 15 - 07:00 UTC, October 21
- 2021: 14:00 UTC, October 15 - 07:00 UTC, October 21
- 2020: 14:00 UTC, October 15 - 07:00 UTC, October 21
- 2019: 14:00 UTC, October 18 - 07:00 UTC, October 22
- 2018: Around October 19
- Durin's Day is a rare event as observed by the Longbeards; the clan founded by Durin - the first day of the Dwarves New Year, when both the Sun and Moon may be seen in the sky together
- The Moon-letters written on the map that Gandalf had received from Thráin II, as read by Elrond, instructed, 'Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the key-hole.' (Thus revealing the secret door into the Lonely Mountain).
- The new year of their calendar was the last cycle of the Moon to begin in Autumn, or in Thorin's words 'the first day of the last moon of Autumn on the threshold of Winter. We still call it Durin's Day when the last moon of Autumn and the sun are in the sky together.'
- 'Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks," read Elrond, "and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the key-hole." "Durin, Durin!" said Thorin. "He was the father of the fathers of the eldest race of Dwarves, the Longbeards, and my first ancestor: I am his heir." "Then what is Durin's Day?" asked Elrond. "The first day of the dwarves' New Year," said Thorin, "is as all should know the first, day of the last moon of Autumn on the threshold of Winter. We still call it Durin's Day when the last moon of Autumn and the sun are in the sky together. But this will not help us much, I fear, for it passes our skill in these days to guess when such a time will come again." 
- Unlike The Lord of the Rings Tolkien left no precise timetable for the events of The Hobbit. However, in The History of The Hobbit, Tolkien set 19 October as the date of that year's Durin's Day.
|Seasonal Events:||Spring Festival • Midsummer Festival • Farmers Faire • Harvest Festival • Yule Festival|
|Recurring events:||Hobnanigans • Treasure Hunt|
|Annual events:||Bilbo & Frodo's Birthday • Durin's Day • Ill Omens • LOTRO Anniversary Celebration • Treasure Bugan Event • The Tale of the Shipwrecked Mariners|
|See also Discontinued Events|