"The Enemy's grip tightens on the defenders of Gondor as Gothmog seizes control of the armies of Mordor. Marching from the gates of Osgiliath, foes pour into the Pelennor Fields with a renewed vigour. In the wake of the Witch-king's defeat, vile sorcery looms over the field as the most powerful allies of the Dread Terror are summoned forth. If Gothmog spoke true of the fate he shares with Golodir, can victory yet be found?"
The Throne of the Dread Terror is a multi-boss 12-man dungeon featuring six boss fights with trash mobs interspersed between them. It takes place during the Battle of Pelennor Fields, situated just before Éomer's Riders reach the Hillock (Rider's Stand) and just after completion of the the Foe Resurgent instance.
- "For Throne of the Dread Terror, Tier 1 has no locks, and thus, no progress-saving. However, that also means that you can run it as many times as you want in a week without the worry of being locked out. Tier 2, on the other hand, does use locks. Your progress will be saved during the course of the lock-cycle and you can only defeat each boss once per week."
- The Tier 2 raid lock resets weely on Thursday at 6:00 a.m. server time.
Click [+] to expand a list of deeds found within the instance.
Click [+] to expand a list of quests found within the instance.
Click [+] to expand a list of mobs found within the instance.
When coming into the raid, you can choose between two boss encounters to start with. Either you take the left path to straightly confront the Gorthorog troll Rakothas. If you take the right path, you have to make your way through a few trash mobs to arrive to the three Mûmakils, named Set-Akâji, Arpong-Dôkh and Kû-Nerpag.
Boss 1: Rakothas
Rakothas has a few mechanics that make it very difficult to handle him if you are not with many players in the raid. He has a skill that deals "distributed damage". This means that the damage will be distributed to all players who are near Rakothas' target (likely the tank). It is technically possible to take distance from Rakothas' target so you will not suffer damage yourself. This can be a tactical choice, but bear in mind this gives a higher penalty to the tank, lessening his chances of survival. This distributed damage is roughly 108,000 morale, which is very difficult to handle for a single player alone. Thus, a strategy you often see is that the members of a fellowship flock around their tank.
Another of Rakothas skills inflicts a heavy tiered damaging bleed called Haemorrhage. When a player already has the bleed present on them and Rakothas inflicts the effect on him again, the bleed is reapplied and increased one tier. As a consequence, if you hold aggro for a long time, you receive a bleed that is increasing in strength until it is unbearable. For this reason, players divide into two groups and split on both sides of Rakothas. When the Haemorrhage effect gets too strong, the other fellowship draws his attention. The group who is now relieved can recuperate by letting the haemorrhage effect expire. Haemorrhage has five tiers and Rakothas' attack that triggers this bleed is a frontal AoE attack, meaning that all members flocking around the tank suffer from this effect.
When Rakothas has 60% of his Morale left, adds will spawn every 20% of his Morale. These are mostly orcs.
Boss 2: Set-Akâji, Arpong-Dôkh and Kû-Nerpag
Boss 3: Vadokhar
The Boss doesn't do much damage but the adds and the AOEs he drops really hurt. Kite the boss around the area slowly to keep out of the AOE zones and have someone collect and destroy the fire and shadow adds. Killing the adds is a must. The fire mobs have an AOE damage aura thats always on and the shadow mobs have an dread AOE that will drop your max health. Keep a good stack of candles to add Hope points to counter the shadow.
Boss 4: The Unbroken One
Kill the first 3 named unbroken and the chain holders. Then jump into the cage and fight this boss with your back to the wall. He will try and throw you out a lot but with your back to the wall you should be fine. This is a corruption battle. The raid must remove 200 corruptions off the Boss. He can not ever be damaged so don't bother. While removing the bosses corruptions you MUST kill all the adds streaming into the cage. It will fill up pretty quick.
Eventually you will have to wade thru eternal waves of Easterners. Just walk along the edge to skip most of them. You will have to fight the stationary groups but avoid a war with the waves.
Boss 5: The Woe of Khand and the High Sorcerer of Harad
Split the raid into two groups and fight separately. When the bosses are close they give each other invulnerability and floating shields. Keep they FAR way from each other and they will go down.
Final Boss 6: Gothmog (Throne of the Dread Terror)
Multi-stage fight. Initial fight in the courtyard is quickly over once the Boss loses 20% of his health. He then says darkness take you and you enter stage 2 (the Breach of Terror), a dream to re-fight his dragon mount. Walk to stage 3 and fight with visions of Amarthiel and Mordrambor together. This fight is hard, make sure the raid is using corruption removal on both of them as they stack bonuses every 3 seconds or so. In addition this stage has the fire mobs that spawn around the furnace. These fire mobs REFLECT damage but are easy to kill if you can catch in between their REFLECTs.
- After the fall of the Witch-king of Angmar at the hands of Éowyn and Merry, a new commander seizes control of the Morgul-host: Gothmog, the Dread Terror. Calling in reinforcements from Osgiliath, the fierce wraith is threatening to turn the tide of battle in favour of Mordor. He must be stopped if the Men of Gondor and Rohan are to survive this day.
- What has happened?
- Prince Imrahil: 'Before we reached the Hillock, I saw our foes close on the breached gates of the City. I called off my men and bid farewell to Reeve Ingbert as he pressed on to the south. No sooner had we returned than Gothmog's forces began to rush towards the City from Osgiliath. That wraith's warning lingers in my thoughts still, my friend... we must repel Gothmog's forces if we are to find victory this day!'
- What threats approach Minas Tirith?
- Prince Imrahil: 'Too many foes close on the City, my friend...
- 'Greatest among them is a tremendous Olog-hai. I thought him slain during the Enemy's assault on the walls, but no man, beast or siege has been able to fell him. He stalks the wreckage on the field just to the north, and revels in the slaughter of any in his path.
- 'Meanwhile, I have heard word that three Mûmakîl are being driven towards the gates from the east. They ferry many Southrons forth, and pose an immense threat to the folk within the City. For my own part, I would see them slain for what they did to Duinhir's sons... and the countless others who have met their doom under their heavy foot-falls.'
- Where should the assault be pressed next?
- Prince Imrahil: 'Many of the Enemy's forces press the attack along the road from Osgiliath to the north-east. Our riders have ridden out to meet them near the Causeway Forts, but we must hold our defence. Travel along the road towards the cross-roads and rout the Enemy's forces where you are able.'
- What else lurks within the Morgul-host?
- Prince Imrahil: 'I have heard troubling reports from some of our warriors on the field, my friend. Men of unusual stature from Minas Morgul have seemingly taken strange beasts as slaves and seek to wield them against us. I know not whence these beasts come, but I heard rumours of such creatures from the Men of Rohan who passed through the forest of the Wild Men. Could the Men of Minas Morgul have found these within the Land of Shadow?
- 'No matter their origin, we must repel these men and eliminate these monsters before they can be used to turn the battle against us!'
- Where are the Enemy's forces coming from?
- Prince Imrahil: 'Our foes now almost entirely issue forth from Osgiliath. We routed their incursions to the north and the battle has shifted to the centre of the field. It remains unclear how large the Morgul-host has grown, but unless we can reach the Causeway Forts, we cannot slow their advance.
- 'I do not doubt they guard the Causeway Forts with some of their mightiest forces... perhaps even the vile wraiths of the Enemy. Even so, we must fight to take back the forts. Go, my friend!'
- Where is Gothmog?
- Prince Imrahil: 'Gothmog is likely deep within his forces in Osgiliath. If the rumours of his connexion with the ranger Golodir are true, Gothmog cannot fall. I do not wish to believe it, but it may be so. If he was arrogant in life, Gothmog must now revel in this certainty of his fate. It is only a matter of time until he reveals himself on the field, but we must do what we can to weaken his forces. If we can defend against the Morgul-host, he shall still be only one against many!'
Triggering Rakothas Fight:
- Rakothas shouts, "Do you hear it, little ones? The screams of the innocent beyond the walls?'
- Rakothas says, "I shall delight in delivering them to their deaths!"
- Rakothas says, "You cannot stand against me..."
- Rakothas says, "I am but a hammer before a field of nails!"
During Rakothas Fight:
- Rakothas says, "I am finished humouring you, little ones!"
Path to Mûmakil:
- Haradrim Warmaster says, "Vengeance for the Black Serpent!"
Triggering Mûmakil Fight:
- Haradrim reinforcements strike from the south!
Path to Vadokhar:
- Endless waves of Orcs and Uruks rush onto the road ahead!
- Uruk-hai Warleader says, "They're sending more against us! Form up, maggots!"
- Uruk-hai Warleader says, "Snap out of it, you cowards!"
Triggering Vadokhar Fight:
- The High-sorcerer of Harad says, "From the depths of Mordor, I summon thee!"
- The High-sorcerer of Harad says, "To the Shadow... to the Flame..."
- The High-sorcerer of Harad says, "I bind thee!"
- The High-sorcerer of Harad says, "Rise, servant of the Dark Lord!"
- The High-sorcerer of Harad says, "RISE!"
- The High-sorcerer of Harad says, "Bathe in my sorcery and smother these lands!"
|The Unbroken One
Path to The Unbroken One:
- Grimbold says, "Away with you, curs!"
Triggering The Unbroken One Fight:
- Black Númenórean Sorcerer says, "They are upon us too soon!"
- Black Númenórean Sorcerer says, "Go! Defend the binders until it submits to our wills!"
- Black Númenórean Sorcerer says, "I shall hold them back for as long as I can..."
Path to Nazgûl:
- Nothmar says, "Reeve Herubrand and Herefara were caught in the Enemy's advance..."
- Nothmar says, "I must protect the Reeve and his son if I may!"
- Herubrand says, "Leave my son in the peace of death!"
- Herubrand says, "Whether my doom comes at your hand or another, you shall not find victory this day, Orc!"
- Nothmar says, "Face me, Orc! You shall not touch them again!"
- Herubrand says, "You have my thanks... Nothmar..."
- Herubrand says, "When I am gone, bear us away from this place..."
- Herubrand says, "I go... to join my son..."
- Nothmar says, "Farewell, my friend. You and your son shall rest easy - I swear it!"
- Nothmar says, "Leave me, friends! I shall see their bodies from the field."
- Nothmar says, "Go! The day is not yet done!"
Triggering Nazgûl Fight:
- Nazgûl voiceovers (no text in-game):
- "You have come so far…"
- "…only to fail."
- "There is no death for us…"
- "…even as the darkness breaks."
- "Conquer your fear…"
- "Face your undoing!"
During Nazgûl Fight:
- The Woe of Khand says, "You bend to my will…"
- The Woe of Khand says, "…and you serve your purpose."
- The High-sorcerer of Harad says, "I draw you forth..."
- The High-sorcerer of Harad says, "…and you serve the Master."
- The Woe of Khand says, "The Dread Terror comes for you…"
- The High-sorcerer of Harad says, "Back to the shadow…"
Triggering First Gothmog Fight:
- Gothmog says, "You..."
- Gothmog says, "Twice you cast me into the Void, but never again!"
- Gothmog says, "While pitiful Golodir lives, I cannot be ended."
- Gothmog says, "The shards of Dúnachar bind our wills as one."
- Gothmog says, "My Master is slain and now I command a force beyond imagining!"
- Gothmog says, "Let us see who is the stronger now!"
End of First Gothmog Fight:
- Gothmog says, "You waste your effort, fools!"
- Gothmog says, "The shadows of Angmar are cast upon you!"
Entering the Breach of Terror
Triggering Second Gothmog Fight:
- Mordirith says, "Here our fates were bound, <name>..."
- Mordirith says, "But again I was pulled back from the Void..."
- Mordirith says, "...and I swore to conceal myself until my Master's hour was at hand."
- Mordirith says, "And so it has come! Even the skies strike at you now!"
Path to Amarthiel & Mordrambor:
- 'Where you beheld redemption, I saw only desperation...'
- 'A final, futile reach for relevance in the Dark Lord's designs...'
- 'Even as she drew her last breath, she knew...'
- 'There remained nothing that could undo her deeds.'
Path to Mordirith:
- 'Alas for Golodir...'
- 'The poor fool lingers in the North, dwelling on his loss...'
- '...knowing nothing of how deep his failure has been!'
- 'At last he understands the lessons of his time in my keeping, but far too late.'
- 'He has only himself and his blind quest for vengeance to blame for the West's undoing!'
Triggering Mordirith Fight:
- Mordirith says, "Here it began..."
- Mordirith says, "On each new day, Golodir searched for a glimpse of hope in the palantír."
- Mordirith says, "Yet, there was none to be found."
During Mordirith Fight:
- Mordirith says, "Your past haunts you…"
Path to Third Gothmog Fight:
- 'Long did the Witch-king of Angmar mock me...'
- 'Even in failure and defeat, he would not release me.'
- 'But now he is vanquished, and I have slipped from his grasp!'
- 'I spoke true when I said that the man I had been was gone...'
- '...but no longer am I a servant, and no longer am I a Steward!'
- 'I am the King returned!'
During Third Gothmog Fight:
- Gothmog says, "Give in to your fear!"
- Gothmog says, "The fires of Mordor come for you!"
End of Third Gothmog Fight:
Escaping the Breach of Terror
- Gothmog says, "You think that I would see you slain?"
- Gothmog says, "No... no.... such a fate is too kind for you."
- Gothmog says, "There is far more suffering for you to endure..."
- Gothmog says, "You shall witness the fall of the West from Minas Morgul..."
- Gothmog says, "...and the deaths of your pitiful allies!"
- Gothmog says, "I go to reclaim my throne. Lock them away under the watch of my Knights!"
Start of Silmahtar & Calatúr Fight:
- Prince Imrahil says, "Without your Master, what power have you?"
- Prince Imrahil says, "You shall know fear yet - wraiths of Minas Morgul!"
- Prince Imrahil says, "Let none return to that accursed vale!"
- Thrymm Red-beard says, "Worry not, friends. I shall free you!"
- Thrymm Red-beard says, "There! Now, let us join the battle!"
During Silmahtar & Calatúr Fight:
- Silmahtar says, "Death to those who oppose the returned King!"
- Calatúr says, "More to claim for the King's keeping..."
- Calatúr says, "Do not let them escape!"
Silmahtar & Calatúr Defeated:
- Silmahtar says, "I have failed you, my King..."
- Calatúr says, "Your fate... cannot be avoided..."
Tokens acquired from T1 and T2 chests can be bartered at Minas Tirith with the Master of Battle Lore NPCs:
Cosmetics, pets and furniture
Cosmetics, pets and furniture
Bosses found in the Throne of the Dread Terror
Boss fight number 1 - Rakothas
"The Return of the Raid" - https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/return-raid