Saeradan (Sindarin for Bitter Man) is one of the Rangers of the North who for years have protected the Middle-earth from dangers and evilness. The other Rangers consider him more settled, calmer and wiser, to the extent that they are willing to wait for him rather than make haste.
Saeradan is also respected by the Men of Bree, some scarcely believe that he is "one of those Rangers" because he is more outgoing and may even, lo and behold, spare his neighbours a smile.
Saeradan is also skilled in Black Speech and the other Rangers turn to him for interpretation when necessary. Altogether he plays an important role in the story arc, but he is not known from Tolkien's fictional realm.
Saeradan will appear at different locations throughout this tale.
Saeradan is seen at his cabin north of Bree, quite close to the North-South Road that he has been watching over for many, many years. Recently he have grown more worried about the increasing presence of brigands, goblins and orcs, but also that the wildlife seems disturbed and aggressive.
-  Saeradan's Call
-  Thornley's Farm
-  My Brethren's Call
-  Word to the South
-  Hengstacer Farm
-  Ivar the Blood-hand - Small Fellowship
-  Volume I, Book 2, Foreword: Aiding the Order
-  Volume III, Book 1, Chapter 3: Saeradan's Watchfulness
-  Volume III, Book 1, Chapter 4: Halros, Ranger of the Shire
Saeradan provides horse and pony rides to the following destination, and it is not "quick travel":
|Candaith's Camp||Lone-lands||Free||Accepted quest Vol I, Book 2, Foreword: Aiding the Order|
- "You have done well in defeating Ivar the Bloodhand!"
- "It is rumoured that the gaunt-men are creatures of great power twisted by Morgoth in the First Age...you were fortunate to survive against Ivar."
-  Volume III, Book 2, Chapter 4: Riding South
-  Volume III, Book 2, Chapter 5: Forces at Work in Eregion
Afterwards, Saeradan guides the Grey Company as they travel south on their journey and makes his encampment at Echad Saeradan within Enedwaith. Now Saeradan's wisdom and calmness will save the company from many problems, and his knowledge in Black Speech will prove very useful, as his knowledge in tales of old.
-  A Healing Hand
-  A More Secret Way
-  An Outstretched Hand
-  An Outstretched Hand -- Repeatable
-  Collars of the Accursed
-  Dark Crystals
-  Feathers for Friendship
-  Sign of the White Hand
-  The Mystery Deepens
-  The Old Woman of the Mountain
-  Instance: The Old Woman of the Mountain
-  The Queen of Boars
-  To The Windfells: Saeradan's Encampment
-  Volume III, Book 2, Chapter 11: The Blockade
-  Volume III, Book 2, Chapter 12: The Bearer of the Sword
-  Volume III, Book 2, Chapter 13: The Sword Returned
- "There are strange things afoot in the Windfells. We must remain alert if we are not to run afoul of them."
- "They took offence at the name Algraig? Then we will say Uch-lûth from here on."
-  Evil Things
-  A Dark and Lonely Forest
-  A Peace-shattering Silence
-  A Shameful Loss
-  Evil in the Wood
-  Joining the Hunt
-  Tribunal of Shadows
-  Eyes of the Riders
-  Coming to a Conclusion
-  Bringer of Ill News
- [20 - 140] Storm on Methedras
-  Instance: The Will to Stand
-  Volume III, Book 4, Chapter 28: Survivors
-  Volume III, Book 5, Chapter 1: Separate Ways (Halbarad)
-  Volume III, Book 5, Chapter 2: Separate Ways (Saeradan)