Isolation Amongst Survivors
"Before you move on from the Steaping Cave, you would like to see the other women be more kind to Ránmald, who is in a fragile state."
Ránmald feels isolated from the other women, and you do not wish to leave her alone with them in her vulnerable condition.
You should speak with Ránmald.
- Ránmald: 'They do not accept me. Do you see how they will not stand near me? Without Céolstan or the Thane nearby, they will be openly unfriendly.
- 'I have always been kind to them, <name>! I must get used to being alone, until the child comes.'
- Ránmald is clearly isolated from the other women, a dangerous problem for a pregnant woman who must survive a harsh winter
You should speak with Céolflad.
- Céolflad: 'Leave us be, meddler! Ye'd rather talk to the nobility than to us, anyhow, eh?'
- Céolflad is indignant towards you for associating with Ránmald
- Céolflad says, "Ye cannot make us like her, no matter how many furs ye pile on us."
- Ask Edhild why the women do not like Ránmald
You should speak with Edhild.
- Edhild: 'Don't ye involve me in it, stranger. I've no love for the girl either, even if the Thane wished things different.'
- Edhild will not explain, despite the Thane's dying wish that Ránmald should be accepted
- Edhild says, "The Thane's family pampered her enough. Now she must learn to fend for herself!"
- Edhild says, "We Byre Tor women can handle ourselves! So must she."
- Ask Frithwyn why she does not like Ránmald
You should speak with Frithwyn.
- Frithwyn: 'She thinks she's better than us, that's why! Has ever since she came to our little town from the south, from some fancy city.'
- Frithwyn resents that Ránmald is an outsider
- Frithwyn says, "Strangers to Byre Tor think themselves better than us, but we always survive."
You should express your frustration and Roar at the women.
NOTE: This objective requires an emote.
- The women are unconcerned by your frustration
- Ask Ránmald is she will excuse you while you talk to the others
You should speak with Ránmald.
- Ránmald:' 'You see? There is no hope to reconcile us!'
- You ask Ránmald for a few moments to speak alone with the women outside.
- 'Yes, I will be fine by myself. Take as much time as you need.'
- Meet the women of Byre Tor at Aldstan's grave
- Ránmald says, "Take as much time as you need, my friend."
You should speak with Edhild at Aldstan's grave.
- Edhild says, "Hmf. Why did ye want to talk to us out here?"
- Edhild: 'What now, hm? Are you telling us how we should grieve for our own Thane? Aldstan is our loss, not yours.'
Listen to Céolflad's speech.
- Céolflad says, "I know why the outsider brought us here..."
- Céolflad says, "Ye all heard Thane Aldstan's dying wish."
- Céolflad says, "Mind ye, he died to protect us, the women of Byre Tor!"
- Céolflad says, "...no matter what our petty squabbles be with that girl!"
- Frithwyn says, "..."
- Edhild says, "..."
Talk to Céolflad.
- Céolflad: You ask Céolflad of what squabbles she speaks. What is the woman's problem with Ránmald?
- 'It is no longer my concern. Now leave me be, meddler. Ye have struck me hard with grief, bring me here to see my dear Thane in the ground.
- 'I'll be kind to the girl from now on. For him.'
- Talk to Frithwyn at Céostan's grave
Talk to Frithwyn at Céolstan's grave.
- Frithwyn: 'Why did ye have to bring me here, <name>? I did not want to see him like this, buried surrounded by wicked Orcs!
- 'This was a cruel trick. Ah! It is a stab of pain to see Céolstan this way!'
You should listen to what Frithwyn has to say.
- Frithwyn says, "It hurts, it hurts! I loved him so..."
- Frithwyn says, '"We all loved him. And oh, how he flirted!"
- Frithwyn says, "We all thought he would marry Edhild..."
- Frithwyn says, "But then he met Ránmald far away, and brought her here, and his attentions stopped."
- Frithwyn says, "It was clear to all of us how much he loved her..."
- Frithwyn says, "...and we could not bear it! So we hated her."
- Frithwyn says, "But... but ye have shown me now: those days are done."
- Frithwyn says, "So much jealousy and spite...over a man who no longer lives."
- Frithwyn says, "My spite is buried here! I will help his wife and his child."
- Talk to Edhild at Céolstan's grave
Talk to Edhild at Céolstan's grave.
- Edhild: 'You heard right, <name>. I thought Céostan would be mine forever, and he let me think so, until he brought Ránmald here.
- 'I'll never like her, no matter how hard ye try to stir pity in my heart. When I look at her...
- '... I see that I was not good enough for him.'
- See if Edhild needs comfort
Talk to Edhild again.
- Edhild: 'I shall miss ye, Céolstan.'
- Edhid bows her head, and when she looks up again, her eyes are sharp and clear.
- I'll help Ránmald and see that the son of Céolstan, my future Thane, will survive this fell winter. I swear it on this grave.
- 'I've seen enough, ye troublesome meddler. Let us return to the Steaping Cave.
- 'I'll not give Ránmald any more trouble.'
- Instance: Isolation Amongst Survivors