Daervunn is a Ranger who for years has stood guard against evil creatures threatening the common folks. As Halbarad's right-hand man, Daervunn will be found at different locations as the Grey Company travels across Middle-earth and this tale goes on.
Daervunn (The North Downs)
Daervunn is first seen in Esteldín's Central Courtyard in the North Downs, where he remains quite deep into this tale. He is found just outside of Halbarad's Study, indicating that he is trusted by Halbarad and probably he may have met Aragorn at some point.
Recently Orcs of Angmar have poured into the North Downs, and Daervunn searches for the true source of their presence and design.
-  Volume I, Book 6, Chapter 1: Of Golodir and Angmar
-  Volume I, Book 6, Chapter 2: Against His Lord
-  Volume I, Book 8, Chapter 2: Rekindling the Flame
-  Volume I, Book 8, Chapter 3: Forging the Sword
-  Volume I, Book 9, Chapter 3: Journey to Esteldín
-  Volume III, Book 1, Chapter 5: Loose Ends in the North Downs
-  Volume III, Book 1, Chapter 6: Farewell to Evendim
- "Greetings. It is good to see there are those who would dare challenge Angmar and its spreading evil. How may I aid you this day?"
- "The Shadow in the East is rising, and now we must fight the Shadow in the North as well. These are dark times, <name>."
- "Thanks to you, we now know the Orcs meant to enter Fornost."
Daervunn later joins the Grey Company. As they travel south, he makes his encampment at Echad Daervunn within Enedwaith. He serves as the Quartermaster of the camp.
- "If we head south through the Lich Bluffs the spies of Isengard will surely mark our passing. There must be some way through this forest that we can pass unseen."
When the Grey Company reaches Dunland, Daervunn is temporarily held captive by Théodred's Riders in Grimbold's Camp due to a scheme of Saruman, but can be freed fairly easy.
- "Well met...or so I would say were I not bound to a post."
Daervunn (Central Gondor)
Travelling with Aragorn through the Paths of the Dead, Daervunn arrives in Gondor and is currently encamped at the Camp of the Grey Host in Lebennin, in Central Gondor.
- "'Aragorn hopes to sail up the Anduin on the decks of the Corsair ships, but we are not watermen, and if we are to do this we will need every advantage."
Daervunn (The Wastes)
Daervunn survives the Battle of Pelennor Fields and joins the Host of the West on the march to the Black Gate. In the Wastes, he is first seen looking up the road north of the Camp of the Host, standing next to Pippin.
- "For Elessar! For Gondor! For the North!"
- "Fight on, Dúnedain! Fight on, my brothers!"
- "Do not give in to fear! We will overcome these evils!"