The Sundering of Osgiliath
Jump to navigation Jump to search
| "I like this land. It reminds me of the twilit wilds, far away in the North, where my heart remains." - Calenglad
This article or section is marked for missing location information.
Please visit Create new location and help expand knowledge about this wondrous place.
Needs Area Infobox --- Osgiliath is an area of the sub-region South Ithilien in the region of Eastern Gondor. Special Area - Monster Play
- The Sundering of Osgiliath is a region in the northernmost part of South Ithilien, situated between Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul.
- This is one of the two zones where Player vs Monster Player (PvMP) takes place, the other being the Ettenmoors.
- Freep players need either a pass from the Lotro Store or have a VIP account
- Creep Players can play a Reaver for free or unlock the other classes through the Lotro Store
- Free Peoples (aka Freeps): A level 20 Player Character can be transported by finding one of four Stable-masters to travel to the locations.
- Forces of Angmar (aka Creeps):
- - A servant of The Enemy can be created by selecting Monster Play on the character selection menu after launching game.
- - Or by going behind the huge totem pole in the middle of Gramsfoot. There's a banner that you can click that will transport you.
- For more information and details on how to PvMP, check out Monster Play. Which side will you choose?
- The grand city of Osgiliath, once Gondor’s capital, has seen many woes. Standing athwart the river Anduin, it is a shattered shell of its former glory, long forsaken and left in shambles. The orcs of the Morgul Vale now teem in the city’s eastern half, under the command of the Lord of the Nazgûl. At last word, the defenders of Gondor still hold the western shores, but how long they can endure the Witch-king’s hosts is a question whose answer will likely prove grim.
- The city was founded by Isildur and Anárion near the end of the Second Age. Ruling Gondor jointly, they used Osgiliath as their capital. It was defended by two smaller fortress cities, Minas Ithil (where Isildur lived) and Minas Anor (where Anárion lived). Osgiliath soon became a large and flourishing city.
- At the heart of Osgiliath was a great stone bridge over the river. On the bridge was a tower containing the famous Dome of Stars, which housed the city's Palantír. Another important building (or possibly the same one) was the Great Hall, which initially served as a throne room for Isildur and Anárion.
- In SA 3429, Sauron attacked Gondor, beginning the War of the Last Alliance. Though he took Minas Ithil, Anárion successfully defended Osgiliath.
- For over a thousand years, Osgiliath remained the greatest city in Gondor, though from the 5th century of the Third Age, the kings, beginning with Ostoher, used Minas Anor as a summer residence.
- Osgiliath was hit hard by the catastrophic civil war of the Kin-strife. In TA 1437, the city, then held by Eldacar, was besieged by Castamir's forces. During the fighting, fire broke out, and large parts of the city were destroyed, including the Dome of Stars. The Palantír housed in the Dome was lost in the river.
- The decline of the city was greatly accelerated by the Great Plague of TA 1636. Many of its people died from the disease, while others fled to remote parts of the country, few of whom returned. Severely depopulated, Osgiliath began to fall into ruin. In 1640, Tarondor, whose predecessor Telemnar had died from the plague, moved the capital permanently to Minas Anor.
- In TA 2000, Minas Ithil was besieged by the Nazgûl, who captured it two years later. Osgiliath, by this time mostly ruined and deserted, became a no man's land between its two former fortresses, now called Minas Morgul and Minas Tirith.
- The final blow came in TA 2475, when Uruks of Mordor overran Ithilien and captured Osgiliath. Though they were thrown back by Boromir, son of then-Steward Denethor I, Osgiliath was finally ruined and completely abandoned, and its great bridge was broken.
Court of Anárion
-  The Battle for Osgiliath
-  Cutting off the Orders -- repeatable daily
-  Defend the Belegiant Bridge -- repeatable daily
-  Destroying the Defences -- repeatable daily
-  Enemy at the Eastern Wharf -- repeatable daily
-  Storming Shrak Mauruk -- repeatable daily
Palace of Eldacar
-  An Issue With Spying Wings -- repeatable daily
-  Hens in a Dire Situation -- repeatable daily
-  Protective and Aggressive Shells -- repeatable daily
-  Scouting the Conflict -- repeatable daily
-  Urgent Supplies for the Armoury -- repeatable daily
-  Ambush the Inventory -- repeatable daily
-  Defend the Ornendil Bridge -- repeatable daily
-  Encroaching Spiders -- repeatable daily
-  Fodder for the Forge -- repeatable daily
-  Taking the Ornendil Bridge -- repeatable daily
Points of Interest
- The Causeway Forts is the starting location for all Free Peoples (Freeps) in the Sundering of Osgiliath and is a primary stronghold that cannot be attacked by Monster Players.
- Within the Court are trainers and many vendors for Freeps.
It is located in the West of Osgiliath.
- Dâr Dugoth is the starting location for Monster Play Characters (Creeps) in the Sundering of Osgiliath and is a primary stronghold that cannot be attacked by the Free Peoples.
- Within the Court are trainers and many vendors for Creeps.
It is located in the East of the Osgiliath.
- There are four portals connecting the two PvMP areas (Ettenmoors and The Sundering of Osgiliath). They act much like doors, porting players from one home base of their faction to the other.
The Causeway Forts
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of The Sundering of Osgiliath|
|Settlements:||The Causeway Forts (Freeps only) • Dâr Dugoth (Creeps only)|
|Areas:||Palace of Eldacar • Rómendacil's Square • Great Bridge|
|Landmarks:||Osgiliath Armoury • Court of Anárion • Palace of Eldacar|