The Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria
|The Lord of the Rings Online:|
Mines of Moria
|Official logo for Mines of Moria|
|Mines of Moria|
|Released||November 18, 2008 (release notes)|
|Region added||Eregion, Moria and Lothlórien|
|First announced||March 14, 2008|
|Soundtrack||Mines of Moria - Original Video Game Soundtrack, by Chance Thomas and Stephen DiGregorio|
The Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria was LOTRO's first expansion. With this expansion, players could for the first time venture beyond Eriador, crossing The Misty Mountains in the footsteps of The Fellowship of the Ring. The expansion was originally sold in DVD boxes in game stores.
This page aims to give an overview of the release history and the main features of the expansion. A full overview of all game changes can be read in Mines of Moria's release notes.
- 10 new levels (to level 60)
- 6 new epic books
- 3 new regions: Eregion, Moria, Lothlórien
- 2 new classes:
- The Rune-keeper is a master of words, and uses those to either damage his enemies or inspire his allies.
- The Warden is a more "tank-y" class and is a master of martial combat, and must strike his blows in such a way to best finish off his enemies.
- ancient dwarven treasure
- new traits, virtues, skills, class quests
- expansion of crafting system
- legendary items, that level-up with the player and can be customized by advancing the item's virtues, adding runic legacies, modifying its titles...
- dynamic lighting & player lights
- World-changing instances
- Environment-aware AI
- Epic high-level instances:
- New adventure instances and raids
- Expanded PvMP areas
- Leaderboards and achievement rankings
Production and sales
March 14, 2008, Codemasters officially announced the development of Mines of Moria at Codemasters Online Connect 2008. It was scheduled to release in the fall of 2008.
The expansion was promoted through web-based mini games. Playing these games unlocked the trailer and game art.
Players who pre-ordered the expansion received the Mines of Moria - Bonus Pre-Order Soundtrack. The soundtrack was officially released on November 17, 2008. The album was largely the same as the earlier released Shadows of Angmar soundtrack, but with seven bonus tracks added onto the end, including one from the Mines of Moria expansion.
- CM Connect '08: Mines of Moria presentation on youtube: #1, #2 and #3
- Mines of Moria credits
- Release Notes: Volume 2: Mines of Moria Launch: Official Release Notes LOTRO.com, archived from the original on October 18, 2010. Consulted February 17, 2020.
|Mines of Moria (2008) • Siege of Mirkwood (2009) • Rise of Isengard (2011) • Riders of Rohan (2012) • Helm's Deep (2013) • Mordor (2017) • Minas Morgul (2019)|