Swift Travel correctly refers to special Stable-master routes that transport a character quickly between two stable points without having to pass through all the distance in between. Certain low-level swift travel routes are available to all, but most of the routes require a character to have Swift Travel unlocked by any of the following methods:
- Any character on a VIP account
- Any character who was logged in when the account was VIP, even if it has since switched to Premium (Note: New characters created while Premium will not have Swift Travel.)
- Any character who has used a Writ of Special Passage, which can be found in a Gift for a Starting Adventurer or purchased from the LOTRO Store
Some Swift Travel routes have additional requirements, such as earning reputation with a local faction or completing a deed in the region. See also Travelling.
Free to Play and Premium Characters
Characters who are Free-to-Play, and Premium characters who have never been played during VIP, may use Swift Travel by buying Writs of Special Passage at the LOTRO Store. Swift routes between starter areas are available for anybody, that is routes between these locations:
The term "swift travel" is frequently used in chat as slang to refer to any skill or ability that allows you to travel from one location to another instantly, without any significant time passing regardless of the distance traveled. This category can include any of the following:
- Milestone skills
- Reputation travel skills, such as Return to Ost Guruth, Return to Galtrev or Return to Stangard
- Racial trait travel skills, such as Return to Michel Delving, Return to Thorin's Gate, Return to Bree or Return to Rivendell
- Store purchased Travel Skills, such as the Racial Traits listed above and Return to Enedwaith or Return to Mirkwood
- "Map to" skills purchased from the LOTRO store.
- Certain class-specific skills, such as the Captain's Summoning Horn and the Hunter's Desperate Flight and Wayfaring and skills, the latter of which can transport an entire fellowship
- Mustering Horns
- The Guardian's Promise
- Certain quests also cause you to travel to various locations as part of the quest.