|Region:||The Plateau of Gorgoroth|
Location and Lore
- Orodruin (Mount Doom), is an area within The Plateau of Gorgoroth.
- The Sammath Naur ("Chambers of Fire"), located high up Orodruin's cone, was a tunnel made by the Dark Lord Sauron in the Second Age.
- From the entrance to these chambers, on the eastern side of the volcano, Sauron's road led downwards and around the cone, traversing some 30 miles westward to the tower of Barad-dûr.
- Sammath Naur comprised a tunnel leading to an interior platform with molten lava below it, known as the Cracks of Doom.
- During the Second Age, it was here where the One Ring was originally forged by Sauron, and the only place where it could be destroyed.
- Orodruin and the Cracks of Doom represents the endpoint of Frodo Baggins' quest to destroy the One Ring.
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of The Plateau of Gorgoroth|
|Settlements:||Agarnaith Ranger Camp • Lûghash • Magh Ashtu • Ruins of Dingarth • Udûn Foothold|
|Areas:||Agarnaith • Dor Amarth • Lhingris • Orodruin • Talath Úrui • Udûn|
|Landmarks:||Amon Thaur • Anglach • Ash Watch • Ashronk • Barad-dûr • Bhol Rûdh • Blozronk • Carach Angren • Cirith Gorgor • Cirith Ungol • Court of Horror • Dath Nethryn • Durthang • Ered Lithui • Faltor Gâm • Fennas Gost • Fushaum Bal • Fushaum Tûm • Gakhronk • Ghashghurm • Grishbalt (Gorgoroth) • Iant Angos • Iant Ruin • Kala-gijak • Kála-murg • Krulronk • Lair of the Gloom-lord • Ledge of Dread • Ledge of Fear • Ledge of Terror • Lûghash • Lugvarg • Mokál Rukh • Morannon • Mordath • Morgai • Mornaur • Nauronk • Naerband • Nelegroth • Orodir • Sammath Naur • Sárronk • Seregost • Strand of Fire • The Abyss of Mordath • Thorzhaf • Torech Ungol • Viznak's Hideout • Zagronk|