|Region:||The Plateau of Gorgoroth|
Location and Lore
- Orodruin (Mount Doom), is an area within The Plateau of Gorgoroth.
- The Sammath Naur ("Chambers of Fire"), located high up Orodruin's cone, was a tunnel made by the Dark Lord Sauron in the Second Age.
- From the entrance to these chambers, on the eastern side of the volcano, Sauron's road led downwards and around the cone, traversing some 30 miles westward to the tower of Barad-dûr.
- Sammath Naur comprised a tunnel leading to an interior platform with molten lava below it, known as the Cracks of Doom.
- During the Second Age, it was here where the One Ring was originally forged by Sauron, and the only place where it could be destroyed.
- Orodruin and the Cracks of Doom represents the endpoint of Frodo Baggins' quest to destroy the One Ring.
|Settlements and Landmarks of Orodruin|
|Landmarks:||Amon Thaur • Iant Ruin • Sammath Naur • The Northern Slopes • The Western Peak|
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of The Plateau of Gorgoroth|
|Settlements:||Agarnaith Ranger Camp • Lûghash, the Flaming Spire • Magh Ashtu • Ruins of Dingarth • Udûn Foothold|
|Areas:||Agarnaith (Mokál Rukh) • Dor Amarth • Lhingris (Cirith Ungol) • (Kâm Lagúrz, the Brokencleft) • Orodruin (Sammath Naur) • Talath Úrui (Ghâshghurm) • (Nargroth) • Udûn (Cirith Gorgor)|
|Landmarks:||Barad-dûr • Dath Nethryn • Durthang • Ennyn Ûr • Ephel Dúath • Ered Lithui • Grishbalt • Isenmouthe • Maegond Spur • Mithram Spur • Morannon • Mordath • Nargroth • Rath Cail • Seregost • Tower of Cirith Ungol|