Writing 1, just inside the Glimmerdeep on the right, internal location [30.2N, 136.9W]
- 'The war is lost, Thangorodrim broken, the glorious hosts fled. Sister Etterfang and I are the last of our proud line. But it is not over. Oh, no, for we will bring such terrible vengeance upon them... upon them all!'
Writing 2, at the entrance to Stormwall [39.2N, 43.8W]
- 'We will bide our time high up in these mountains. This is a home for dragons. We will feast and gather treasure and grow strong. We will learn to cover where we are soft. But for now, sleep, and dreams of our revenge.'
Writing 3, inside the Glimmerdeep instance, straight from the entrance, internal location [30.8N, 136.9W]
- 'Awakened! Disturbed by little pests, scraping in the walls of my mountain. I can smell them, but I do not know the smell. It is not Men, no, nor Elves, nor Orcs...'
Writing 4, inside the Glimmerdeep instance, second boss platform, internal location [32.1N, 135.9W]
- 'Dwarves! How busily the noisy little insects carve up my peak, stealing my rightful wealth! They will see how Smaug the Golden welcomes intruders.'
Writing 5, inside the Glimmerdeep resource instance on the platform with Blogdob, internal location [32.0N, 136.8W]
- 'Ah, but how industrious these dwarves were while I slumbered! Carven halls of stone, gold and gemstones shaped and shined. It is worthy of my splendor, this new lair.'
Writing 6, inside the Caverns of Thrumfall, from the entrance: left, left again, then right before Askurth's room
- 'Awake, again! What is this? I hear you, Etterfang! My sister is in battle, in pain! Rragh! I cannot reach her, my lair is sealed by fallen stone. Rend with all my fury, I still cannot carve an exit fast enough. Oh sister, sister, burn them all!'
Writing 7, inside the Caverns of Thrumfall, Etterfang boss room
- 'Sister Etterfang is not in her lair. There was a struggle. I see the sheared stone from her thrashing claws, the ground scorched by her breath. The smell of a dwarf! She is still alive, I feel it. I will find you, sister.'
Writing 8, inside the Glimmerdeep instance, southeast corner atop the lacing road [30.5N, 135.9W]
- 'The Orcs whisper of a great dragon in the Misty Mountains. Perhaps it is Etterfang. I am loath to leave my hoard unguarded, but I must find her. It is good to stretch my wings and soar.'
Writing 9, inside the Glimmerdeep instance after the first boss [31.6N, 135.8W]
- 'There is no sign of Sister Etterfang. Men here worship a dragon they name Draigoch. How amusing. Perhaps I will find my own clan of followers, though I so prefer to toy with them and then eat them.'
Writing 10, before entering the Glimmerdeep, on the wall on the left [39.2N, 47.5W]
- 'What disturbs my slumber now? Rumbling. Am I trapped again? Grragh! What is this? The heads of five dragon-whelps, left before my cave... dwarf-axes sunk into them? Now, now at last, they have truly wakened Smaug's wrath!'
Writing 11, Stormwall western interior with 2 spider corpses [39.3N, 44.3W] (entrance up the stairs and on the right)
- 'Sister missing, dragon-whelps slain... I have known only sorrow in these grey peaks. Let sorrow take wing. I am fury, I am vengeance, I am Smaug the Golden, mighty and merciless. I will roam until I find dwarves - and then let them cower before my wrath!'