'I have thought long on what is to be done, <name>.
'Vethúg Wintermind is an old foe of Durin's Folk, and he was known to us long before Smaug. He drove my forefathers from the halls of the Grey Mountains and left their kingdom a frozen ruin. Such a fate will not befall Erebor! We will not suffer our home to be taken from us again!
'We are stronger now than when Smaug and Bolg brought devastation and war to our lands, and old hatreds do not divide us as they once did!
'You have done many great deeds for Durin's Folk, my friend. And here now is a task befitting such a warrior! I would ask that you travel the lands of the North, and gather the resources of each of its peoples. We shall have need to share them if the battle is to be won.
'Swiftly now, <name>!'
After stoking the ire of the Herald of Winter, Karazgar has fled the North. The peoples of Eryn Lasgalen, Erebor, and the Dale-lands must now prepare to face a new foe.
- Collect piles of stone blocks in Erebor (0/10)
- Collect logs of wood in Eryn Lasgalen (0/10)
- Collect crates of rations in Dale (0/10)
- Collect barrels of water in Lake-town (0/10)
Piles of stone blocks can be found in Erebor, logs can be found in the halls of Felegoth, crates of rations can be found throughout Dale, and barrels of water can be found in Lake-town.
King Thorin III has asked you to aid the peoples of the North in preparing for battle against Vethúg Wintermind.
- After carefully collecting the pile of stone blocks, a nearby dwarf calls out to you...
- Longbeard says, "Hah! King Thorin's sense of humour has escaped you, I think."
- Longbeard says, "Do not trouble yourself with this task! He has asked for you to return to him at once."
King Thorin III can be found in the Hall Under the Mountain.
You have mistaken King Thorin's jest for an actual task. You should return to King Thorin.
- King Thorin III: 'Hah! I am sorry for my little joke, <name>.
- 'You have always been eager to help those in need, and I should not deny you that. There are peoples enough in each of the Kingdoms of the North to prepare our defences and fill our stores, and they shall handle such tasks.
- 'As for you, my friend, you have become something of an emissary to the peoples of the North. I would ask that you inform Queen Erna, Master Dagrun, and King Thranduil of the coming battles. Assure them that the Dwarves of Erebor will stand with them in the coming battles, and that our friendships must be held close in such times.
- 'When you have done as I have asked, return to me at once.'
Erna can be found in Dale, Dagrun can be found in Lake-town, and Thranduil can be found in Felegoth.
King Thorin III has asked you to deliver a message of warning to the other strongholds of the North and ask that they prepare their defences as best they can before Vethúg Wintermind strikes.
- Erna: 'So the Herald of Winter was not the cold-drake in the rumour-monger's tale, but a different cold-drake named Hrímil Frost-heart? And now her spawn comes to set siege on the Dale-lands?'
- Erna lets out a wry, desperate chuckle.
- 'I shall have to have a word with King Thorin about this! I fail to see the difference between the rumours and our new circumstances....
- 'All of Karazgar's plots have come to pass. I care not that he is wounded and lost. He has turned his foe's eye upon us, and we shall suffer her wrath in his stead. The young King shall face the same test as his namesake, but he is not ready to bear such a burden. Who can ever be truly ready to face such a challenge? What else can we do but prepare?
- 'I shall rally every warrior of Dale and send them to Erebor's aid when the time comes. It seems the arrows must be nocked once more....
- 'Go, <name>! There is much to be done and little time to speak!'
- Dagrun: 'It is my truest regret and sorrow that some of my people aided Karazgar in this plots.
- 'Perhaps now they will understand their folly.... for we shall all suffer the consequences of their foolishness. They have drawn the ire of this Hrímil Frost-heart to our lands, and now I fear that Lake-town will again bear the most grievous wounds at the hands of her offspring. Instead of flames, we shall be frozen along with the waters of the Long Lake! We cannot rebuild our homes and resettle our people on the lake every time anew foe comes to the North! Sooner or later, we shall run out of places to flee!
- 'I will offer what I can to the folk of Dale and Erebor. We have plentiful stores of water and food to be shared, but I am afraid I cannot spare a single warrior. All of this business has riled the folk of Lake-town, and my guards are needed here to keep order.
- 'I am sorry I cannot offer more, <name>. We of Lake-town will prepare as best we can.'
- King Thranduil: 'I knew well of the cold-drake that ravaged the Ered Mithrin, <name>, but never have I known his name. Vethúg Wintermind.... so he is the hated spawn of Hrímil Frost-heart!
- 'Whether we are granted days, weeks or months, or mere hours to prepare remains unknown, but the King Under the Mountain speaks true -- Vethúg will come. We know little of Hrímil's forces and what Vethúg may bring to bear upon this realm, but it is clear from your vision that her hordes are not limited to dragon-kind. There is no ill will between us and Durin's Folk, but we have all battled and suffered greatly to repel the forces of the Enemy. Terrible wounds are still bourne by my kin, and I cannot muster such a force as the one that repelled the Orcs and Easterlings before Erebor.
- 'I shall send the warriors and archers I can to defend this realm, but I fear it will take more than our combined armies to overcome such a foe. Let us hope it is enough....'
King Thorin III can be found in the Hall Under the Mountain.
You have warned the leaders of the strongholds of the North to prepare for the coming of Vethúg Wintermind as King Thorin asked. You should return to King Thorin.
- King Thorin III: 'So it is done.
- 'I will not allow Vethúg to displace Durin's Folk again, <name>. We of the North battled together in unfriendly times and triumphed over Smaug and the armies of Bolg, but this time it shall be different. Durin's Folk, the Men of Dale, and the Elves of Eryn Lasgalen have no quarrels between them. There is no treasure to divide, no weregild withheld in stubbornness, and no treachery between us. We stand as one against Vethúg Wintermind and so too shall we stand against Karazgar and Hrímil Frost-heart.
- 'At last, the Dwarves of Durin's Folk shall have our vengeance... Vethúg will fall!'
- Next week: An Unexpected Summons