- This page is about Isengard and its environs BEFORE the Battle of the Hornburg. For Isengard AFTER the Battle of the Hornburg, see Isengard (disambiguation).
|Landmark(s):||Blackmarch Fort |
Piller of the White Hand
Tower of Orthanc
More than two centuries before the War of the Ring, the Wizard Saruman came to Steward Beren in Minas Tirith, and proposed that he should be granted Isengard as a dwelling-place. Seeing advantage in having such a powerful ally guarding the Gap of Rohan, Beren agreed, and granted Saruman the Key of Orthanc.
From that time on, the valley where Isengard stood became known as Nan Curunír, which literally translates as the 'valley of Saruman'.
Curunír was the Elvish equivalent of Saruman's name, but when rendered into the Common Speech, Nan Curunír is known simply as 'the Wizard's Vale.'
- Built in S.A. 3320 or shortly thereafter
- Held by the Dunlendings from T.A. 2710 to T.A. 2759
- Held by Saruman from T.A. 2759 to T.A. 3019
- Outer facilities destroyed by the Ents on 3 March T.A. 3019. The tower itself, known as Orthanc, withstood the assault, the Ents unable to break its impregnable walls, and Saruman was trapped within as the Ents laid siege.
The following creatures are found within this area:
For others, see Category:Nan Curunír Creatures
Various quests take place in the interior of Isengard, referred to as the Isengard Depths.
A portion of the Epic Quest Line takes place in the Depths of Isengard:
- With the release of Update 13: The Breaking of Isengard, there are two unique visions of Isengard presented to the player.
- Isengard Before the Battle of the Hornburg.
- Isengard After the Battle of the Hornburg.
- The events which take place with the Breaking of Isengard take place concurrently with the Battle of the Hornburg at the end of Book II -- The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.
- The Game Mechanics of LOTRO allow the player possessing the two appropriate expansions (Update 4, the Rise of Isengard Expansion and Update 12, the Helm's Deep Expansion) to simply and easily move between the two locations depicting the two events.
- Note that Chickens with the appropriate expansions can access these way-points!
Before the Battle of the Hornburg
- From Grimbold's Camp in the Gap of Rohan at the Fords of Isen Before the battle (February 25) - Volume III, Book 5: The Prince of Rohan Category:Vol. III. Book 5 Quests -- Ride to the gate blocking the passage on the opposite side of the ford. -- This takes you to the Fords of Isen in Westfold in West Rohan, after the battle.
- Near the Rohirrim Soldier, , he says:
- "Approach the gate to reach the lands to the East."
- "Approach the gate and I will open it for you."
After the Battle of the Hornburg
- From from Westfold and The Fords of Isen After the battle of March 2 when Saruman's army overwhelmed the Rohirrim --
- Near the Rohirrim Soldier, , he says:
- "You must climb over this fallen tree to go further west."
- From this point, you travel north (opposite direction) to get to Isengard to begin Category: Fangorn Quests for Quest: A Dreary, Untidy Mess
- From Isengard (after) - A connection to the Stonedeans - travel up through the "notch" past the Huorn of Fangorn Forest
- Approximate arrival area: -- on the path behind the Mead Hall of Woodhurst.
Returning takes you to Entwood.
- From Entwood connection of the Eaves of Fangorn -- near the defiled pond
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of Gap of Rohan|
|Areas:||Wulf's Cleft • Isendale • Heathfells|
|Settlements:||Grimbold's Camp • Forthbrond|
|Landmarks:||Âthdâr • Brôntrig • Cuvnerth • Dol Baran • The Pit of Iron • River-watch • The River Isen • Slave Stockades • The Smelters • The Sprawling Dark • The Underworkings|
|Settlements and Landmarks of Westfold
|Settlements:||Helm's Deep • Grimslade|
|Landmarks:||Erkenbrand's Refuge • Fords of Isen • Fushum Raus • The Hornburg • Lufût-mos • Marton • Marton Farmlands • Marton's Refugees • Shatorthum • The Staging Camp|
|Settlements and Landmarks of Stonedeans
|Settlements:||Brockbridge • Gapholt • Woodhurst|
|Landmarks:||Flodgeheld • Madh-fushaum • Mate Isernore • Orlag Den • The Roaring Hills • Wid Isernore|
|Settlements and Landmarks of Broadacres
|Settlements:||Oserley • Stoke • Tordag's Camp|
|Landmarks:||Bardh-dorám • Direnfirel • East Fangorn • Snagfen • Torsbury|
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of Nan Curunír|
|Areas:||Isengard Depths • Ring of Isengard|
|Settlements:||Dagoras' Camp • Isengard • Ox-clan Merchant Camp|
|Landmarks:||Barracks • Blackmarch Fort • Circle of Fangs • Dungeons • Fang-rider's Warren • Fâsh's Command • The Gates of Isengard • Guard-house of Isengard • Kitchens • Morflak's Command • The Pillar of the White Hand • Quickbeam's Grove • The Savage Dens • Tower of Orthanc • War Machines|