'We must seek Ushkbál the Overseer, then. It is he who will accomplish what we seek.'
Paying no heed of any surprise on your face, Kurtil thinks for a long moment.
'He has agreed, agreed to talk to us at least, and there is hope for more. Surely, he is found at his post, north of here by the great foundry, which lies above Maudhúl Vôr.'
It seems an Overseer named Ushkbál is the key to this mysterious meeting, somehow.
You should search for Ushkbál the Overseer in the great foundry, on the northern side of Udûn, above Maudhúl Vôr.
- Kurtil: 'The great foundry lies north of the road below, above Maudhúl Vôr. You go and seek Ushkbál the Overseer on the good legs you have. I follow behind.'
- This is the place - now to find the Overseer
- Clear signs of a struggle and of bloody deeds! A conspicuous footprint lies nearby.
You have not found Ushkbál the Overseer, but you have found signs of a bloody struggle. You should follow the footprints leading from the place and see where they lead.
- This footprint is fresh - you are on the trail
- Kurtil arrives just behind you to witness scene. 'Talk before fight,' he hisses.
The Dwarves stand behind a cart high up the path in northern Udûn, above Maudhúl Vôr.
The trail of footprints led straight from signs of a bloody struggle to two Dwarf forgeworkers standing over a corpse. You should speak to them.
- Stéthi Forgeworker:
- 'Twas not us who did this thing. I know full well how it may look. We only dragged him here, out of the sight of prying eyss.
- 'Hoy, you there Kurtil! I know you by face and by name. Whatever trouble you're up to this time, you must bow to plain tryth: Who in the northern 'works would touch a hair on Ushkbál's ugly pate? None, that's who! No Overseer we'd more glad work for, neither.
- 'Besides, you see we carry only hammers and these woulds be swords' work, plain to see. Look for yourself, <race>.
The corpse and Dwarves are behind a cart high up the path in northern Udûn, above Maudhúl Vôr.
You should inspect the Overseer's corpse to verify the Dwarves claim that he bears sword-wounds, while they hold only hammers.
- The wounds are indeed incisions, not made by blunt instruments
- Talk to Stéthi
- talk to Slárnur
The Dwarves are behind a cart high up the path in northern Udûn, above Maudhúl Vôr.
You should talk to the Dwarves, now that you have verified that the Overseer's corpse bears sword and not blunt wounds.
- 'Now then, that's settled, I hope! A smoldering shame about Ushkbál, though! We know not if it were one of the Enforcers or some wild-frenzied soldier who struck him through, but there you have it. He was our hope and he's gone.
- 'Well, and if you are here then you followed the signal flags, too, just as we. Let us work the iron together, we four; while its got any heat left. Perhaps the work might be salvaged. If only we can think what to do now t hat we are on your own. What say you Kurtil? <race>?
- 'This is how I see it, and pardon my speaking thus, Stéthi. There are two inpurities we've got us in this slag. First-wise, there's no one to do the deed. Second, there's someone somewhere, who knows the signal flags and maybe doesn't want the deed done.'
Kurtil stands near the Dwarves and corpse, behind a cart high up the path in northern Udûn, above Maudhúl Vôr.
Hear what Kurtil has to say.
- 'Yes, yes, yes. The iron is hot now, but cooling, cooling...'
- For a moment, Kurtil seems lost in thought.
- 'We need only someone to go. Who to fill the post? No, not I, Nurnhoth that I am. Who am I? No one. Will Gradrágh go? Ha ha. We know the answer to that, my friends. What of you Slárnur? You will not. A shame!
- 'No Orc, nor Dwarf, nor Nurnhoth here among us...
- Then a smile slowly spreads across Kurtil's face. lighting the twinkle back into his eyes, which fix on you.