- You must complete the quest within 3.5 minutes or it will automatically fail.
- If your first side quest was "Stalactites Over the Bridge" then your second side quest will be this one.
- This objective will start immediately with spiders spawning at the back of the spider cave. Two will reach the entrance of the cave within 30 seconds giving you a very small window to setup around the entrance.
- The crystal is in the central area next to the spider cave.
- Spiders will spawn within the cave and skitter towards the crystal to cover it in webbing, gradually darkening it if they succeed.
- There are 5 Rohirrim to rescue from the cocoons for maximum merit. Soldiers only need to be freed from the cocoons to gain the merit from them (not escorted to safety).
- There are quite a few cocoons at the end of the tunnel where the boss is. The good news is that Scimgrit will not aggro unless you directly attack it (although its guards will aggro when you get close).
- Killing the Scimgrit will end the objective before the waves finish, allowing for a fast completion if needed.
- After the quest ends you will have one minute to get to a safe area before enemy archers insta-kill anyone too far from the center.
- A good strategy is to have the Soldiers near the crystal in Two-handed Stance and have traps like caltrops set along the way.
- The quickest way to completion is to push through to Scimgrit. Completing it early gives credit for completion but you won't get platinum without saving the soldiers.
- Scimgrit has two defenders but they are not aggro linked and can be pulled individually.
- The spiders will spawn at the end of the tunnel and will stand there and move slowly for a few moments before moving down the tunnel at normal walking speed. The best time to do AoE damage and melee damage is when they first spawn and are moving slowly.
- Alternatively, you can wait near the spider tunnel, burn down each wave, traverse the tunnel, open the cocoons, and then kill the boss. However, this can take up a significant amount of time and you only have 3.5 minutes to finish it.
- Spiders spawn at this approximate rate and time: 2 at 15 seconds, 2 more at 30 seconds, 1 at 45 seconds, 1 at 1:15, 1 at 1:35, and then 2 at 2:00 mark.
- A solo player may choose to deal as much damage as possible to the spiders as they come through the cave and rely on the Soldiers to kill them as they exit. However, this may endanger the crystal if you don't weaken them enough.If you've placed caltrops and/or barricades with damage boost along the path you can usually kill the first 4 spiders and leave the rest to the damage over time and soldiers guarding the crystal. The soldiers are capable of killing all of the spiders by themselves but the crystal will take some damage and prevent you from getting platinum.