An expansion is a purchasable addition to the existing base game.
In the Lord of the Rings Online, an expansion generally includes the following:
- Level cap increase
- New map(s) with explorable landscape content
- New landscape quests
- Epic story continuation
- New game system(s) or mechanic(s)
- New crafting tier
- New reputation faction(s)
Group content and updates
Originally, expansions also included instances and raids. However, in recent years the trend to release content more gradually emerged, and group content has usually been added in separate updates after the expansion release date. Similarly, new reputation factions, gear, crafting recipes and landscape content has been added at a later date. Regardless, this content can only be accessed after the expansion has been purchased.
LOTRO expansions can usually be pre-ordered before release. Pre-ordering allows for earlier access to the expansions. Generally, various pre-order versions are available, of which the more expensive ones offer exclusive rewards. After release, expansions may also be bought with LOTRO Points (formerly Turbine Points).
On April 20, 2022, with the release of Update 33, all expansions and Quest Packs up to and including Helm's Deep were made free to all players. Additionally, the Standard Editions of the Mordor, Minas Morgul, and War of Three Peaks expansions were made free for VIPs.
LOTRO currently counts nine expansions. The following table lists them all, ordered by release date.
|Expansion||Nickname||Release date||Level cap increase|
|Mines of Moria||MoM||November 18, 2008||from 50 to 60|
|Siege of Mirkwood||SoM||December 1, 2009||from 60 to 65|
|Rise of Isengard||RoI||September 27, 2011||from 65 to 75|
|Riders of Rohan||RoR||October 15, 2012||from 75 to 85|
|Helm's Deep||HD||November 20, 2013||from 85 to 95|
|Mordor||Mordor||August 2, 2017||from 105 to 115|
|Minas Morgul||MM||November 5, 2019||from 120 to 130|
|War of Three Peaks||WoTP||October 20, 2020||No Level Increase|
|Fate of Gundabad||FoG||November 10, 2021||from 130 to 140|
Note that while expansions typically include a level cap increase, the level cap has also been increased in between expansions:
- On July 14, 2014, the level cap was increased from 95 to 100 with Update 14, The Paths of the Dead.
- On April 12, 2016, the level cap was increased from 100 to 105 with Update 18, The Battle of Pelennor Fields.
- On October 9, 2018, the level cap was increased from 115 to 120 with Update 23, Where Dragons Dwell.
This gallery shows the official logo for each expansion.
- Ten years of LOTRO: A History of Virtual Middle-earth Ravalation, on 8 May 2017.
- Lotro legendarium: A trip back through LOTRO's expansions Massively OP, on 19 August 2017.
|Mines of Moria (2008) • Siege of Mirkwood (2009) • Rise of Isengard (2011) • Riders of Rohan (2012) • Helm's Deep (2013) • Mordor (2017) • Minas Morgul (2019) • War of Three Peaks (2020) • Fate of Gundabad (2021)|