Barliman Butterbur is the Tavern Keep and owner of the Prancing Pony in Bree. He is a busy but forgetful man and has two hobbit assistants, Bob and Nob. Aside from the renowned ales that he serves, he also helps visitors on missions which often involves referring them to the mysterious ranger Strider.
- "Barliman Butterbur is the proprietor of the most important inn in the town of Bree. The Pony boasts the best ale in the area, and many Brandybucks from the Shire make excursions there just for the ale. It is no simple task maintaining an inn with such repute, especially in troubled times, but Butterbur is equal to the task – with the help of his hobbit-assistants, Nob and Bob.
- "Absent-minded and distracted, Butterbur is always in a rush, often forgetting what he is about. To some this makes him appear a dullard, but nothing could be further from the truth. He has a shrewd mind and sharp wit, though it sometimes takes a little longer for him to catch on than it might for others." - lorebook
-  Ithildín Coin
-  No Time For Tours!
-  A-courting Bree Will Go - Spring Festival
-  Never Further From Home - Festival
-  One Drink Too Few - Festival
-  Prologue (Hobbit): The Shire Unprotected
-  Prologue (Beorning/Man): To a Ranger's Aid
-  Prologue (Dwarf/Elf): The One Called Strider
-  Volume I, Book 1, Foreword: An Unwanted Guest
-  Volume I, Book 1, Chapter 12: The Black Rider's Designs
-  Volume I, Book 14, Chapter 8: An Elf-friend of Eregion
-  Volume III, Book 1, Chapter 3: Saeradan's Watchfulness
In Their Absence
-  The Two Taverns - Episodic Content
- [...] Eriador Year 9 Tales: Gandalf - Anniversary