Towers of the Teeth
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The Towers of the Teeth, Carchost on the west side of the Morannon (the Black Gate) and Narchost on the east, are landmarks within the the Slag-hills in The Wastes.
- They are Resource Crafting Dungeons. (See: Skoironk for details.)
- The northern entrance to Mordor, situated at the northwest corner of that land, is by way of a narrow pass with sheer cliffs on either side, where the Ephel Dúath and the Ered Lithui come together. This pass is called Cirith Gorgor in Elvish, poetically translated as the "Haunted Pass" (though the Elvish name literally meant 'pass of great dread'). To butress the defences of Mordor, it was at this point where Sauron erected a stone rampart from one side of the pass to the other, in which was set the Morannon.
- The Towers of the Teeth are two towers situated on either side of this pass.
- Originally built by Men of Gondor following The Last Alliance of Elves and Men and the downfall of Sauron at the end of the Second Age, the two watchtowers were placed at the entrance to the pass, to guard Mordor and prevent the return of Sauron and his servants.
- As Gondor slowly declined and withdrew from east of the Anduin, these watchtowers were abandoned sometime after the defeat of King Ondoher to the Wainriders at Ondoher's Folly. As the Dark Lord returned to Mordor at the end of the Third Age, the towers were taken over by his servants, repaired, and incorporated into the defences of Morannon, the Black Gate.
- The two towers are called Carchost on the east side of the pass and Narchost on the west.
- Other names include the Teeth of Mordor, the Towers of the Black Gate, and the Watch-towers of Morannon.
|Settlements, Areas and Landmarks of The Wastes|
|Areas:||Dagorlad (Morannon (War of the Last Alliance)) • (Lang Rhuven) • The Noman-lands • The Slag-hills (Battle of the Morannon)|
|Settlements:||Camp of the Host • Haerondir|
|Landmarks:||Tham Durlan • Nuiharn • Guard Tower Ruins • Store House Ruins • Merchant shop Ruins • Farm House Ruins • Inn Ruins • Noble's House Ruins • Stable Ruins|
Carchost • Dol Acharn • Dûm Boha • Fushaum Gund • Narchost • Ondoher's Folly • Skoironk