|Game Guides Topics: Getting Started, Game Terms, Commands, Character, Grouping, Music, Travelling|
In LOTRO, one player can initiate a one-on-one duel with another. The dueling feature is completely optional and only proceeds with the concurrence of both parties (see below).
- A Spar (sparring match) or Duel or (to use another LOTRO term) a Bout is a simulated PvP fight between two players.
- In a duel, the players damage each other until one player reaches near zero morale.
- The player defeated is incapacitated for about 5 seconds and the match is over.
- Classes, level, trait-lines & playstyles can create very unbalanced fights so spars should be taken in account as another fun feature of the game and not into a win / lose situation.
- There is no benefit to dueling other than "bragging rights."
- No loot is received.
- The victor does not get to loot the defeated.
- No score is kept.
- No "leaderboards" exist.
- No damage to equipment requiring repairs takes place.
- The damage in a sparring match is not permanent.
- However, any buffs, potions or food consumed is gone! This includes purchases made in the LOTRO Store.
To initiate a duel
- To inintiate a duel:
- Select the player you wish to challange
- type the command /Duel or /Spar in the chat window
- A message box will pop-up on the challenged player's screen with the message: "<Player_name> has challenged you to a bout."
The challenged-player must accept the duel-invitation or the offer will automatically lapse (see below).
To refuse a duel
- Ignore the invitation (which automatically expires in 15 seconds).
- Click "decline" in the challenge box pop-up.
- If you do not wish to duel with anyone, you can disable invitations in the options panel - uncheck the box: "Options / Social Options / Enable Sparring Requests"
- In Ettenmoors (Player vs Monster Player Area) there are often organized spar events betwenn Freeps and Creeps.
- Often that are a few common sense rules like a player jumps and the other has to jump also and then the duel begins.
- Some potions or class skills sometimes are not used for a fair fight, but it all depends...You should give a peek at your server PVMP forum section for more info.
- Fight fair & stay humble in winning or loosing (=
- Good luck!