Springing the Trap
"The Rangers of the North have learned that Mordrambor, a Black Númenórean deep in the counsels of Amarthiel, is travelling to Haudh Elendil with a small retinue. Hoping to seize Mordrambor, the Rangers stage an ambush...."
Tadan and his fellow Rangers have come up with a plan to capture Mordrambor, one of Amarthiel's Black Númenónrean lieutenants, as he travels from Haudh Elendil with an unusually small retinue.
Ranger Tadan and his fellow Dúnedain are hiding at the end of the causeway to Haudh Elendil, waiting in ambush for Mordrambor to emerge.
Tadan needs you to lure Mordrambor into the Dúnedain ambush at the end of the causeway.
- Tadan: 'Calenglad speaks highly of you, <name>. If we are successful this night, he will speak more highly still.
- 'Mordrambor has entered the tomb of Elendil and will surely emerge in a moment with his servants. If we can retain the element of surprise, my brethren and I will be more than a match for him. Present yourself to this lieutenant of Amarthiel and lure him to this end of the causeway! We will fall upon him and take him prisoner, and then we shall see what this trusted servant of Amarthiel may be able to tell us.
- 'This foe is in no way weak, <name>. You will be in danger as you lead Mordrambor to our position, and we will not be able to help you -- if we reveal ourselves too soon, all will be lost. You must survive his attacks until he comes to the end of the causeway; until that moment, our hands will be tied. Luck be with you in this, <name>.'
- Tadan says, "Good fortune, <name>! I think he will follow you willingly... maybe."
- Confront Mordrambor at the far end of the causeway
You have been asked to bring Mordrambor back to the end of the causeway with the Rangers.
- Mordrambor: 'Why shouldst I not strike thee down, little <race>?'
- Mordrambor's mocking smile wavers slightly when you tell him you have brought a mighty artifact to the other end of the causeway, and it spells his doom. Almost immediately it returns.
- 'I admire thy courage, though it be foolish in the extreme! I will go with thee to this artifact, and give thee the death thou seemest to crave.'
- Walk with Mordrambor to the end of the causeway
- Mordrambor says, "The two of you keep searching. I will return in a moment."
- Mordrambor says, "Thine is a foolish courage. It doth amuse me."
- Mordrambor says, "What artifact hast thou found? There is no trinket that can harm me."
- Mordrambor says, "Thy silence returns? Use thy tongue while still you can!"
- Mordrambor says, "Where is this artifact?"
- Tadan says, "Now!"
- Tadan says, "You are outnumbered, villain! If you try anything you will die."
- Tadan says, "You are now the prisoner of the Dúnedain."
- Mordrambor says, "So be it. Thy time will come soon enough!"
Ranger Tadan is at the end of the causeway in front of Haudh Elendil.
Tadan is waiting to speak with you, following the capture of Mordrambor.
- Tadan: 'Well done, my friend, well done! Amarthiel will not be pleased with this turn at all.
- 'Let me know when you are ready to leave, and we shall return to Tinnudir with our captive.'
- Tadan: 'Let us return to Tinnudir with our captive, then. Perhaps our fortunes are finally beginning to turn around!'