'I have an issue for you to look into, <name>. Someone took my rations while I was catching a little rest...and it is not the first time, either.
'If you can find out who stole from the stores, I will be in your debt. A thief must be brought to justice!'
Byrnstan, a guard of the Mead Hall, noted that his rations went missing recently and wants you to search for them during your stay in Stangard.
- Search for Byrnstan's stolen rations
The stolen rations can likely be found hidden somewhere in Stangard.
You should try to recover the stolen rations for Byrnstan, so that he does not go hungry.
- The dogs here are surprisingly well-tended compared with the rest of Stangard
The stolen rations are in the kennels of Stangard.
Someone in Stangard stole rations from the lock-house; this food should be recovered, and the thief identified.
- Confront Athulf, the owner of the dogs, for his crime
- Athulf: Athulf looks shocked as you show him the rations you recovered from his home.
- 'I am discovered! Are you going to turn me in, <name>? That is just, but I wish to tell you why I did it and ask for your help if I am thrown in the lockhouse.
- 'If I do not steal, the dogs will starve. As their keeper, I cannot let that happen. I give them my own food, but it is not enough. I try to make sure I do not take too much from the other men when I steal…but I fear we all go so hungry.
- 'Tell Byrnstan I am sorry, will you?'
- Athulf is guilty of stealing, but his deeds are honourable
- Bring the rations to Byrnstan and plead Athulf's cause
Byrnstan can be found guarding the door to the Mead Hall.
You should plead Athulf's cause to Byrnstan.
- Byrnstan: 'It was Athulf? He shall….'
- You explain that Athulf was using the food to feed the dogs of Stangard, who would starve without his help.
- 'I have noticed that he does show particular kindness to those dogs. There was once a time when we had food enough for all, sparse though it was, but nobody thinks of the dogs anymore.
- 'I will keep this incident a secret, and even share some of my food with the beasts, provided Athulf does not steal anymore!'
- Byrnstan grudgingly forgives Athulf and agrees to keep the incident a secret
- Talk to Gadda about what transpired
Gadda can be found near the Mead Hall in Stangard.
You should speak with Gadda about the food being so scarce that it drives men to steal.
- Gadda: 'It is not good that there is stealing in Stangard. This was rarely a problem before. If Byrnstan does not wish to take futher action against Athulf, I will gladly let this matter drop.
- 'The food issue is reaching the point of crisis. Something must be done, and soon.'