The Sights of the Shire
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The pastoral peace of the Shire presents travellers with an excellent opportunity to explore its historical and cultural places.
To complete this deed perform the following objective(s)
- Find The Party Tree
- This enormous tree has long been known as a place where festive occasions can be celebrated by the Hobbits of the Shire. Standing on the outskirts of Hobbiton proper it can be seen for quite some ways, and during festivities it is often hung with dozens of bright streamers and lanterns providing a cheery atmosphere for most any event.
- Find Methel-stage
- It is said that when Bilbo Baggins returned from his wanderings abroad, he came back with a good deal more wealth than he had before he left.
While rumors abound to the source and improper nature of his riches, among the works he built within the Shire was the Methel-stage upon which Hobbits of an artistic leaning are invited to perform and entertain their fellows during festive occasions.
Of course, Bilbo disappeared again recently - bringing up all the old rumours of his improper adventures and such - but many of the folk of the Shire nevertheless continue to appreciate the causes to which he put his money.
- Find Stocktower
- The Stocktower is a curious old Arnorian ruin standing guard near the Brandywine Bridge.
Few such ruins still stand in the Shire - having long ago been dismantled by industrious Hobbits to construct more modern residences, but the Stocktower has become something of an icon and mischievous Hobbit children have been known to frequent the ruin despite their parents' admonishments to the contrary.
- Find The Quarry
- For a long time Dwarves were not seen with much frequency in the Shire, and bringing stone from far abroad was expensive, so the Hobbits constructed their own quarry to supply the needs of builders and masons.
Recently however, better quality stone has been available from the west, so the quarry has fallen into disuse and has become infested with dangerous vermin.
- Find Bridgefields Wall
- Bridgefields Wall is one of the few remaining signs of the ancient kingdom of Arnor within the bounds of the Shire.
Farmer Puddifoot has been threatening to pull it down for years now to build walls for his own fields, but some of the richer hobbit families of Michel Delving have prevented him from doing so in the Shire councils, demanding that the wall is preserved for historical purposes. So it stands there still.
- Find The Great Willow
- While not as well known as the Party Tree, the Great Willow is considered a great deal more mysterious and romantic by the younger Hobbits of the Shire.
Folk tales abound of Elves travelling into the West who spend their evenings in mysterious revels beneath its boughs, and young Hobbit couples often come here to declare their romantic intentions, perhaps hoping a bit of fairy magic might give them luck and bravery enough to say the words.
|5 LOTRO Points|
|Increased Reputation with The Mathom Society ( 500 )|
- This deed is available at level 1.
- This deed contributes to the Explorer of the Shire meta-deed.