click here for Tier 2.
click here for Tier 1.
Gorothúl is the sorcerer who leads the forces of Dol Guldur, instructed by Sauron himself. He also ordered Mazog and his forces within Moria. There are several quests in which Gorothúl directly takes part. He is briefly seen in the instance  Instance: The Exchange and needs to be defeated in the Sammath Gûl instance. He later turns up during The Dome of Stars instance when fighting The Black Blade of Lebennin.
- Summons Ancient Guldur-spirits
-  Vol. 2, Book 5 -- Chapter 3: Mazog Solo only
-  Vol. 2, Book 9 -- Chapter 10: The Exchange Solo only
-  Vol. 2, Book 9 -- Epilogue: Gorothúl of Dol Guldur Fellowship
-  Challenge: The Guardian of Sammath Gûl (Daily) Fellowship (repeatable)
Sammath Gûl Tactics
Gorothúl is the third boss of the Sammath Gûl instance.
- The tank fights in front of him, the rest fights from behind.
- He calls adds. CC those, especially the lore-masters (keep them stunned).
- He can do knockbacks. Clobber those.
- He can do a fear attack. Nothing to do about it (except trigger Conjunctions/FMs).
- Keep all DPS on Gorothúl.
In more detail:
The first phase is simple. He will call two adds at a time, sorcerers and lore-masters. They will despawn after about 30 seconds and can be CCed at will. CC is recommended for the lore-masters as they will still punt during this fight. Throughout the fight he will begin inductions. Interrupt these if possible - they are very long punts (similar to the lore-masters throughout the instance).
The second phase is somewhat harder. He can use a fear ability - if you are standing on the grate where he is, you will be rooted and unable to do anything unless you resist it. If you are anywhere else, you will run around uncontrollably. The only way to stop this is by triggering an FM on him when he calls it out ("Let terror take you").
He will also begin summoning blue fell spirits. These are the trigger for challenge mode - do not kill them if you want to complete challenge mode and fight Demafaer. If the spirits are not killed, eventually they will head to Gorothúl and disappear. Each one that disappears summons a new fell spirit (bonepile spirit) which will summon 3 skeletons and use ranged attacks. Since these appear periodically they will usually aggro a healer. The longer the fight the more skeletons will appear.
One way to deal with the (eventually large number of) skeletons is to have everyone grouped around Gorothúl. Have someone (ideally a Champion) AoE periodically to grab aggro on the skeletons. If only one person AoEs and does it periodically (not constantly) the fell spirits will not die before despawning, so challenge mode will not fail. Keep DPS on Gorothúl.
- "Ah, I see you have finally arrived. My lord, what should I do?"
- "Yes, my lord."
- "From this point forward, I shall teach you the true meaning of terror!"
- "Let terror take you!"
|Bosses of Sammath Gûl
|Urchír • Alagossír • Gorothúl • Demafaer|