Logging in is not required for viewing pages however, it provides additional features, and is recommended in general.
Creating a user account means that you supply a username (your real name or a nickname) and a password. The system will reject a username that is already in use. A user account is created only once. You are then "logged in". Next time you log in you supply your username again and demonstrate with the password that you are the same person.
Why log in?
You don't have to log in to read Lotro-Wiki.
However, it's still a good idea to log in, for several reasons:
- You will have your own user page where you can write a bit about yourself, and a user talk page which you can use to communicate with other users.
- You will be able to keep track of changes to modules you are interested in using a watchlist.
- Email address is optional particularly if you join our Discord. But if you choose to give an email address, you will be able to do the following:
- You will be able to edit & create pages you will need to confirm your email address though. (If you want to edit and not provide an email address, you will need to contact an admin on Discord to ask for Ninja rights)
- reset your password if you forget it,
- receive automatic notifications of certain events, if set in your Preferences,
- receive emails from other users if so, set in your preferences (the user who emails you will not know your email address),
- email other users and administrators if they want as above (your email address will be disclosed on any email you send).
- You will be able to set your own preferences, to change things such as:
- the number of pages displayed in Recent changes
- the fonts, colors and layout of the site, by using different skins.
How to log in
Click on the "Log in" link at the top right of the page. You will then be prompted to enter your username and password. If you haven't logged in before, you will need to use the link provided to create an account.
If you check the box "Keep me logged in", you will not have to give your password again for a period of 30 days when you access Lotro-Wiki from the same computer. This feature will only work if your password was not generated by the MediaWiki software.
Log in problems
If you appear to be able to log in, but as soon as you try to look at a page you appear logged out again, it is very likely to be a cookie problem. If you are certain that cookies are enabled, make sure that you haven't inadvertently listed the Lotro-Wiki domain on a list of sites for which cookies are never allowed: this feature is available in all recent browsers. Also make sure your computer's date and time are set correctly; if they are not, cookies may expire before they are supposed to. Note that some firewall and ad-blocking software may interfere with the cookie that the wiki uses to keep a person logged in.
A user may occasionally find themself "automatically" logged out in between beginning an edit and saving it, or when switching between multiple pages open in multiple windows. This can be a result of your browser's cookie, cache, or firewall settings. Regardless of the reason for the logout, the simplest solution to the problem is to check the "Keep me logged in" box. If you do this on a computer that can be accessed by more than one person (i.e. at the library, at work, at school), please find and erase your user ID cookies after your editing session.
What if I forget the password or username?
Your username is case sensitive. If you enter an email address when signing up for the account, or in your Preferences, you can make a request on the login screen for a temporary password to be sent to that address, which will allow you to retrieve your account. If you did not enter an email address, or the address was out of date, you will need to contact an administrator on our Discord. If your IP address is blocked from editing, you will not be allowed to request a password reset from that address. In the event you create a duplicate account for yourself because you forgot your info and did not request help in Discord to reset your password. Please contact an administrator so we can do a user merge.
Creating an account
To create an account, select "Log in" (top right of page) then "Create account". You usually need only provide a username, password and email address. we do require a visual CAPTCHA (Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart). Users with text, speech, or certain old browsers will be unable to create an account if they cannot view this image. If you are unable to view captchas, contact an administrator on our Discord. To request an account be created.
You may also be unable to create an account if it contains certain symbols (particularly the '@' symbol, as well as certain non-Latin characters) or words, or if it is too similar to that of an existing user. You may then be able to request that an account is created for you by contacting an administrator. If your IP address has account creation blocked, you may be able either to request to be unblocked or to request an account.
You can log out any time by clicking on the "Log out" link at the top right of the page. To prevent the browser from remembering your username and suggesting it to the next user of the computer, remember to delete the wiki's cookies in your browser's privacy settings. Especially if you are using a public computer, you may want to delete all of the browser's recent history.
This page was adopted for our use from https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Logging_in.