A tome rests on this bench, left behind by someone. It seems ancient, like it might just turn to dust if handled too roughly. Several pages have been torn out and are missing. A poem is written on the page that was left open:
Beneath the Misty Mountains, deep,
The ancient shadows hold their keep.
Came Durin King, his crown of stars,
To carve new halls, claim kingdom ours.
Above the Dwarven forges glow,
While unknown dangers lurk below.
For many thousand years it slept,
In darkened depths, where fell-things crept.
And then, one day, the stone was found,
Dark as night, and perfectly round.
Its beauty beckons but a glance,
But ensnares the mind in a trance.
Many were lost, driven insane,
And then we unearthed Durin's Bane.
From Moria, the Longbeards flee
In hand, the stone-that-should-not-be.
By King Thráin's orders, it is sealed,
By secret door never revealed.
Just the line of Durin may know,
Of Secret Stone, born of shadow.
Heed this warning, do not seek it,
This fell thing you cannot outwit!
The stone must remain locked away
Do not seek the hidden doorway!
King Thorin III is in the line of Durin. Perhaps he would be willing to share more about this Secret Stone.
An old tome found in Erebor leads to the mystery of The Secret Stone. What does it mean?
- OLD TOME "An old tome. Dwarvish runes adorn its cover."
- You very gently pick up the tome
- Grótur: 'Tome? What tome? I'm sorry. I know nothing about it. Perhaps you should ask King Thorin.'
King Thorin III can be found at his seat in Erebor.
You should bring the tome to King Thorin III.
- King Thorin III: 'What have you brought me, <name>?'
- He takes the tome from you and gently leafs through the pages. Realization suddenly lights his eyes.
- 'Abnubuzûr! The Secret Stone! Where did you find this, <name>?'
- You tell him you found it left on a bench here in Erebor.
- 'I can hardly believe my eyes! Knowledge of the stone was passed down from my father, but its location had been lost. I believe my people took the Stone with them when they fled Moria, but not even I know where this secret door can be found.'